Trailers: Soul Calibur V - Story Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Soul Calibur V - Story Trailer

Will you wield the sword and bring it back to its former glory?

Watch Video

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Soul Calibur story? *snort*
I think it's the first time I see a story trailer that contained no dialogue whatsoever.
[sup]EDIT: Yay. 1111th post AND 1st answer in a thread at the same time. I rock so much.[/sup]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kakulukia said:
I think it's the first time I see a story trailer that contained no dialogue whatsoever.
[sup]EDIT: Yay. 1111th post AND 1st answer in a thread at the same time. I rock so much.[/sup]
Also you ninja'd someone... When did Soul Calibur ever get a story?
...it's just not the same when it's already been said :(

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Yopaz said:
Kakulukia said:
Alright! I hit the trifecta!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Whoever thinks that the sword had lost its power clearly didn't count the amount of time it had been revive. What is it now? Five or six time now?

Feb 13, 2008
I always wondered whether it was the story, the costumes or the swords that were the most illogical thing in SoulCaliber.

Then I decided they've all gone from being straight to being Tartrazine-injected Sugar Coated Frosted Squishies.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
It's a shame, I remember getting vaguely excited at the trailer for soul calibur 3, it really looked like it had the potential for a decent plot. Siegfried was battling his inner demons, Raphael was becoming 'something else', Nightmare just seemed to have gone to war with an entire country...

And then there just wasn't. Also Yoda and some crap with a magic tower. Yes I KNOW that expecting a good story from a fighting game was stupid, but I was young and naive!

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Sadly not enjoyed this series for a while now, Soul Calibur I and II were brilliant but the recent instalments (especially IV) have been somewhat lacking. The main problem is the serious lack on content compared to the first two games and "story mode" in IV was terrible... also who wants to look at a giant tree of stuff for the story?

Roberto416

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, the sword is pretty much like Castlevania.
The Soul Edge/Inferno will always survive in one form or another. The same as goes for Soul Calibur, there must always be a wielder of both swords. Seigfried vs. Inferno....Good vs. Evil...Blue Aura vs. Red Aura...same kind of deal.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Roberto416 said:
The Soul Edge/Inferno will always survive in one form or another. The same as goes for Soul Calibur, there must always be a wielder of both swords. Seigfried vs. Inferno....Good vs. Evil...Blue Aura vs. Red Aura...same kind of deal.
"A Tale of Souls and Swords Eternally Retold" is the tagline you're looking for ;)

Now, despite the shameless aspects of this series, I do at least appreciate that time moves forward. Eventually they'll have to retire a lot of the characters... well unless people WANT to see Taki at 70... Though, I believe Ivy has an immortality excuse or some such thing.

Jun 11, 2008
Reion 13 said:
And how does Ezio mix into this?
Hopefully he doesn't the game does need any more badly implemented cameo characters. Anyway they could have done a lot more with that trailer it was basically just a slight rehash of an SC4 ending.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Yopaz said:
Kakulukia said:
Soul Caliber 3 had a story of some sorts. It was just not interesting enough to read lol

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Tigurus said:
Yopaz said:
Kakulukia said:
Soul Caliber 3 had a story of some sorts. It was just not interesting enough to read lol
The one Soul Calibur game I didn't play had story? What are the odds? In a way they all does have a story. It just doesn't force itself on you if you're not interested. So story in Soul Calibur is in the friend zone?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Kakulukia said:
There's always been a story to Soul Calibur, its just been more of what happens between the games rather than telling itself through the game. Over since it was Soul Edge there's been a wide overarching story for it.

OT: wow... Im glad I know what the game is about, cause if I didnt and I bought the game based solely on that trailer, I'd be pissed once I played.

And they must be getting lazy, cause they pretty much just took Soul Calibur III's intro and expanded it a tad.

EDIT:

Panayjon said:
Roberto416 said:
"A Tale of Souls and Swords Eternally Retold" is the tagline you're looking for ;)

Now, despite the shameless aspects of this series, I do at least appreciate that time moves forward. Eventually they'll have to retire a lot of the characters... well unless people WANT to see Taki at 70... Though, I believe Ivy has an immortality excuse or some such thing.
The problem (some) fans had with why they kept Ivy and not Taki (other than people who preferred Taki's play style) is there's no reason why Taki couldnt stay. Mitsurugi has to be boarding 60 by this point, so you cant say they would be too Old. And Taki is a demon hunter with supernatural/spellcasting abilities, so its not impossible for her to pull the same trick that Ivy is doing using alchemy.

Steve Dark said:
It's a shame, I remember getting vaguely excited at the trailer for soul calibur 3, ... Also Yoda and some crap with a magic tower. ...
Yoda and the magic tower are Soul Calibur IV

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
OT: wow... Im glad I know what the game is about, cause if I didnt and I bought the game based solely on that trailer, I'd be pissed once I played.
id say thats the beginning of the trailer, and what follows/replaces Patroklos's ugly face would be shorts of other characters fighting.

For everybody's sake, remember that this is showing events at the end of SCIV, not anything that occurs within SCV.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
garjian said:
emeraldrafael said:
id say thats the beginning of the trailer, and what follows/replaces Patroklos's ugly face would be shorts of other characters fighting.

For everybody's sake, remember that this is showing events at the end of SCIV, not anything that occurs within SCV.
If thats true, you wouldnt expect to see seigfried and yet he's in the game.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Yopaz said:
Tigurus said:
Yopaz said:
Kakulukia said:
The one Soul Calibur game I didn't play had story? What are the odds? In a way they all does have a story. It just doesn't force itself on you if you're not interested. So story in Soul Calibur is in the friend zone?
It is *nods*
Additionally, Soul Caliber 3 had a sorta campaign mode where you made your own character and had to defeat the general of the opposite forces. Was fun, fighting with slightly being strategic *nods*
No idea if 1 or 2 had that as I never played those :(