Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Coming Up Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Coming Up Trailer

They're adding some featured features to The Old Republic.

Watch Video

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
If Bioware has taught me anything through their social forums, it is that asking the fans what they want in the game is the absolute worst thing you could possible do.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
If they're listening and adding features based on what people want, then I want a free trial before they can even think about getting any money from me.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Sabrestar said:
If they're listening and adding features based on what people want, then I want a free trial before they can even think about getting any money from me.
Agreed, having to buy a game, and then a subscription on top of that is a pretty big risk without a trial

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I can't be the only one who noticed the Guild in question was called "sith happens"?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
... and in a few more months, they may even add a MMO to the RPG with MP elements... to this MMO.

... by that time my copy would of corroded with all the coffee stains on the disk as I desperately try find a use for my poor money spent on this ... game.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
messy said:
I can't be the only one who noticed the Guild in question was called "sith happens"?
In the few weeks I've been playing since release, I've seen more Sith-puns in guild names then I ever saw puns.

..etc.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Some interesting stuff. I really wanna give this game more of a chance, but I haven't had time with my recently increased work-load...I just want to get my damned starship so I can pillage the galaxy.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
If Bioware has taught me anything through their social forums, it is that asking the fans what they want in the game is the absolute worst thing you could possible do.
The stupidest comment I keep hearing. Asking the fans what they want in the game does not bloody equal catering to the whim of every freaking one of them.

On the other hand, hearing a large number of people asking for a sensible feature and acting on it, that's actually good practice.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Sith Happens :D hillarious xD

Anyway im baffled with the delay in Australia. Whats up with that? 3 months.....im better off in WoW

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
animehermit said:
Vrach said:
Soviet Heavy said:
The stupidest comment I keep hearing. Asking the fans what they want in the game does not bloody equal catering to the whim of every freaking one of them.

On the other hand, hearing a large number of people asking for a sensible feature and acting on it, that's actually good practice.
In their defense, this is exactly what Blizzard did and it caused Cataclysm.

Although I do agree with you, listening to the sensible things the community wants is a good thing, and it's something Bioware has been very good at since the beta. People complained about the speeders when they first announced them, so they added a bunch more models in. People were worried that their companions would all look a like, so they added customization kits.
Yeah, guess what though, their own ideas can go tits up too. Bottom line is, there's guys there that say "yeah this makes sense", whether the idea came from the community or a bunch of developers, it doesn't make a damn difference, it still needs to get approved by the actual developers themselves, so the origin of the idea is irrelevant, the good judgement of the developers is what makes or breaks a game.

My biggest issue is that I keep seeing this utterly idiotic comment on anything, this video being a perfect example. They come out, say a bunch of completely sensible and can't-go-wrong ideas (there's no Cataclysm material here), show you how they've implemented it before it's live so you can jump in and say "hey you know what, that might not be the best idea after all" and people still pull out this comment, just for the sake of spitting on the game.

You know what, if you don't like EA, if you don't like BioWare, if you don't like TOR, fine. You have plenty of reasons for all 3 and fuck knows I have my own issues with all 3 here and there. But if you're gonna ***** about something, at least ***** about an actual issue instead of pulling a cliche comment out of your arse just because it's trendy to hate on a big company/project.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I want my guildship, please =(

zdog jr said:
Well I'm just happy they didn't announce pandas.
In blizzard's defense, the Pandarean were brought into WC3 as a fan service after one of their april fool's jokes.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
These are actually some neat features. I really would have liked to see UI customization earlier though... seems simple enough. Have any TOR fans heard if we'll be able to change that ugly color too? "Change what it looks like" wasn't too specific...

EDIT: inb4 "TOR-tanic" Didn't come from us, that's on the SWTOR forums... It's not funny there and it's not funny now.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Listen to community?

What bullshit.

They deleted my feedback on their official forums and accused me of 'trolling'.
The thread made it to thirty pages of /signed and agreement with my points before they nuked it.

ToR failed. Give up, guys - you're not getting your bonuses from EA. In fact you'll be lucky if they don't burn your ass right out the door, Kotick - Infinity Ward style.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
2xDouble said:
"Change what it looks like" wasn't too specific...
Deliberately so. If they don't promise anything, then they are not obliged to get it out of the door - I work in a software company and it's far better to give out the basics, than give out details. The basics satisfy the community that something is being done, but doesn't make your workload excessively large if things take longer than estimated.
Looks like scaling and UI placement are working from that vid, which are the absolute basics (though I would've expected those two options on release), so anything else they get done is a bonus.

Legacy system seems shaky ground to me. Not sure if that's going to work well, or if it's going to penalise one of the groups they seem to cater for.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The Legacy system should be interesting. I wish I knew when they were going to implement the HK-51 companions

Rhatar Khurin

Aug 14, 2008
It's one of the first movies i have seen from bioware that hasn't had 90% of the designers sporting dodgy looking beards