Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Inquisitor Character Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Inquisitor Character Trailer

The Inquisitor's class progression can be, quite literally, killer.

Watch Video

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
If anyone who didn't try the beta wants to know: yes, that is as good as the game looks. In fact Knights of The Old Republic, that gem of a game BioWare gave us in *2003* looks way better.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
Arec Balrin said:
If anyone who didn't try the beta wants to know: yes, that is as good as the game looks. In fact Knights of The Old Republic, that gem of a game BioWare gave us in *2003* looks way better.
I...just don't get it. It makes so little sense why the graphics are so low res. I understand art styles, and perhaps even begrudgingly accept that their needed so more people can play the game. I just don't see why they need to have it look so...bleh.

Funny though the newly released Guild wars 2 Mesmer feels more Sith like then the actual sith Class.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Arec Balrin said:
I've actually played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the last few months. I've played the beta during the last two weekends. Your glasses are so remarkably rose tinted, I'm afraid you might have gone completely blind.

TOR looks remarkably better than KOTOR games do and that's even without anti-aliasing, Ultra settings and everything else that comes with a final build (although you can go ahead and google some screenshots/videos where people forced AA if you're so inclined, the Ultra option ain't in yet though).

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
2xDouble said:
Yeah, but can it do this?
That was pretty poor... and in the first section the enemy just kept running WHILE being hit, as if it didn't know anyone was hitting it.

The other sections were very repetitive and didn't seem very mesmerish.

---

As for the Sith Inquisitor...

Acrisius said:
So this is what the game looks like? Wow, the 1% in me that was interested just disappeared. Scratching this off my list...

And no, before anyone says anything, I know graphics aren't everything. Shush.
The game is actually very good, no idea what you see wrong with the graphics, though I don't think those have anti-aliasing on.

The progression TRAILER is awful though for that one class.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Played it in Beta - was shit.
The class was balanced for grinding, but the storyline was so fucking dull I wanted to drink bleach by the end of the 3 days.
And yes, the graphics are hideous along with the space fighting.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Acrisius said:
Delsana said:
2xDouble said:
That was pretty poor... and in the first section the enemy just kept running WHILE being hit, as if it didn't know anyone was hitting it.

---

Acrisius said:
So this is what the game looks like? Wow, the 1% in me that was interested just disappeared. Scratching this off my list...

The game is actually very good, no idea what you see wrong with the graphics, though I don't think those have anti-aliasing on.

The poor graphics was just the final straw. If I want a good story, I'll play a proper singleplayer game to get it. And that seems to be about the only thing remotely unique or interesting this game has to offer, beyond swinging retractable neon-dildos and shooting lightning out of every pointy part of your body. I'm just not interested.
Let's be serious here:

Lightning only comes out of their fingertips, no where else, EVER.

The "poor graphics" don't exist, you need to look for the anti-aliasing ones.

So you'd like to deprive story being in other games? That's the point of an RPG... you know what WoW killed by taking the RPG out of MMORPG.

Neon dildos? They look nothing like it, this isn't the crap game Saints Row 3.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Vrach said:
Arec Balrin said:
I've actually played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the last few months. I've played the beta during the last two weekends. Your glasses are so remarkably rose tinted, I'm afraid you might have gone completely blind.
I also just replayed KoTOR, in 1080p with max settings on PC, and I thought it looked great. I can't compare it directly to TOR because of the change in art styles, but my personal preferences is KoTOR's graphics all the way.

Gustof26 said:
Arec Balrin said:
I...just don't get it. It makes so little sense why the graphics are so low res. I understand art styles, and perhaps even begrudgingly accept that their needed so more people can play the game. I just don't see why they need to have it look so...bleh.

Funny though the newly released Guild wars 2 Mesmer feels more Sith like then the actual sith Class.
I also think it looks bleh, and I think the reason is because TOR is built on a middleware engine from several years ago, the HERO engine, so the graphics are out of Bioware's control. The choice to use an off the shelf engine instead of developing one from scratch is the reason the game turned out cookie-cutter despite their best efforts.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
isometry said:
Vrach said:
Arec Balrin said:
I also just replayed KoTOR, in 1080p with max settings on PC, and I thought it looked great. I can't compare it directly to TOR because of the change in art styles, but my personal preferences is KoTOR's graphics all the way.

Gustof26 said:
Arec Balrin said:

I also think it looks bleh, and I think the reason is because TOR is built on a middleware engine from several years ago, the HERO engine, so the graphics are out of Bioware's control. The choice to use an off the shelf engine instead of developing one from scratch is the reason the game turned out cookie-cutter despite their best efforts.
You're aware you're just giving an opinion right?

There are no facts for your statement, and it isn't cookie cutter.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Acrisius said:
Delsana said:
Acrisius said:
Delsana said:
2xDouble said:

---

Acrisius said:

The poor graphics was just the final straw. If I want a good story, I'll play a proper singleplayer game to get it. And that seems to be about the only thing remotely unique or interesting this game has to offer, beyond swinging retractable neon-dildos and shooting lightning out of every pointy part of your body. I'm just not interested.
Let's be serious here:

The "poor graphics" don't exist, you need to look for the anti-aliasing ones.

So you'd like to deprive story being in other games? That's the point of an RPG... you know what WoW killed by taking the RPG out of MMORPG.

Neon dildos? They look nothing like it, this isn't the crap game Saints Row 3.
Take a chill-pill, you're way too serious about it.

1. Lightning shoots out of practically anything in all the trailers and vids I've seen. Yeah we get it, force lightning is cool, but they didn't have to go and shove it in our faces to the point where even something as cool as that gets bland.

2. The game looks like shit compared to contemporary contenders. Even WoW looks better because WoW has its own style. This just looks like KOTOR1 with a polished engine, and I'm not just talking about this one trailer. Though this was the worst one I've seen, clearly.

3. Again, we get it. Lightsabers are cool. Part of what made them cool was that not everyone and their mother had 2 in every pocket of their outfit. And yeah, the bad graphics and physics kinda make them look like really stiff neon-dildos.

4. Let me clarify. A good story in a game is awesome, regardless of whether it's SP or MP. However, in this case, that's the only thing this game has going for it really. It's not worth my interest for that small reason alone. I won't play an MMO that is basically a SP-game with a subscription fee.

5. That Mesmer-trailer was pretty cool, and you're just nitpicking because you're trying to defend SWOR.

6. Good night, Merry Christmas.

EDITED FOR TYPOS.

7. I still can't believe this is not butter!!!
---

No, as a person who will very much get both games just as I get nearly every game that is released unless it is utter crap... I can say that I didn't like the Mesmer trailer and it did not interest me in any regard.

Lightning, once again, never shoots from anything but finger tips. I tested the SI from 1 - 42... nothing like what you're talking about was ever seen.

The graphics were quite good with a 570X... and WoW is painfully bare so no idea what you're getting at with that.

Let's also not forget that WoW had its own issues when it first released as all MMO's invariable do due to the huge amount of content.

The story thing isn't the only thing, it also has voice acting, inclusion, a good crafting system, and many other options, such as ships and what not.

And light sabers are as common in this game as they were in the Prequels which also had a lot of Jedi.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Delsana said:
2xDouble said:

That's because it's a skills video. It was designed to show how a few Mez skills look, just like the other 7. The enemies were tweaked so they would behave according to the script and die on cue. However, they do some things that are curious Inquisitor doesn't, like wield his blade with the Force, or use it to confuse and stun-lock enemies or physically move them into danger.

Delsana said:
Really? Starkiller seemed perfectly fine channeling it into and out of lightsaber strikes in both of his games... and they're apparently canon. Funny how nobody else does that... Not very efficient use of energy, if you ask me. Too little focus means not enough transference.

heh.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
2xDouble said:
Delsana said:
2xDouble said:

That's because it's a skills video. It was designed to show how a few Mez skills look, just like the other 7. The enemies were tweaked so they would behave according to the script and die on cue. However, they do some things that are curious Inquisitor doesn't, like wield his blade with the Force, or use it to confuse and stun-lock enemies or physically move them into danger.

Delsana said:
Really? Starkiller seemed perfectly fine channeling it into and out of lightsaber strikes in both of his games... and they're apparently canon. Funny how nobody else does that... Not very efficient use of energy, if you ask me. Too little focus means not enough transference.

heh.
The assassin channels it into the saber too, but it COMES FROM THE FINGERTIPS, the blade just acts as a conduit. Funny how no one mentions THAT.

---

Maybe you need to see those abilities again?

Electrocute
Thrash
Power up
Force lightning
Static Shield
Chain Lightning
Lightning Bolt
Affliction
Lightning Storm
Thunderous Blast

Lightning power up
Lightning power up 2
Overload
Cloak
Stab
Death Field
Whirlwind

That's the list of abilities used in there, one crowd control whirlwind near the 2 minute mark of sorts, and electrocute is the very quick and short ranged stun shock that they use too.

No teleports, true.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
(Trailer < getting into both weekend beta tests and playing the game)

The versions that I played were both very fun and it was good to see how they worked it. With the advanced classes you can get them at level 10 once you finish the first planet. Basically, get this game...