Trailers: Sword of the Stars 2 - Opening Cinematic

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Sword of the Stars 2 - Opening Cinematic

You are probably going to need a bigger ship in Sword of the Stars 2.

Watch Video

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Ah yes, Reapers. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed that claim

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
I love sots, but they are so bad at making cinematics. This was too boring to watch. I couldn't get tot he end.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, for someone who hasn't even heard of the original, this trailer didn't really show much. Could someone please explain what you actually do in this game?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Just to point out that Sword of the Stars came out in 2006, a year before Mass Effect, and they already had the lore in place for the Suul'ka.

Dec 14, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Ok, for someone who hasn't even heard of the original, this trailer didn't really show much. Could someone please explain what you actually do in this game?
Its a 4x game which features RTS space fighting, like Total War. The first game's most remarkable features were the randomised and varied tech tree and the diverse races with different play styles.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Slycne said:
Just to point out that Sword of the Stars came out in 2006, a year before Mass Effect, and they already had the lore in place for the Suul'ka.
Because spacesquid is original? I'm sure Lovecraft released his books before that too.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
scw55 said:
Because spacesquid is original? I'm sure Lovecraft released his books before that too.
I guess he just mentioned it, so people would stop suggesting that they stole their idea from Mass effect, since I'm sure everyone who didn't played the first one, will do.

I for myself, can't wait for the sequel, loved the first one, great gameplay, nice graphics and decent background-story. And as far as I know they improved on every point. As for the trailer, I suppose as long as you don't know the first game, you might be a little bit confused on what's going on. But on the other hand, isn't this the case with every story trailer to sequels to some extend?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
philosophicalbastard said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Its a 4x game which features RTS space fighting, like Total War. The first game's most remarkable features were the randomised and varied tech tree and the diverse races with different play styles.
Hmmm, sounds pretty interesting. I'm on a bit of an RTS binge at the moment so I may keep an eye on this.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Oh, how I hope this will have a good learning curve.
And by good I mean not completely frustrating.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
scw55 said:
Slycne said:
I never said it was the progenitor of spacesquid monsters just that it wasn't borrowing from Mass Effect's reapers.

And Cthulhu (I'm assuming that's the books you are referring too as he's the most squid like) isn't really a spacesquid. While a few of the Elder Gods do reside in space and Lovecraft's works frequently deal with the insignificance of man in relation to the universe, Cthuhu slumbers beneath the ocean.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
This trailer is basically the Prolog for the lords of winter sequel to sword of the stars, SOTS, has an odd way of story telling in that really the cinematic just introduces the conflict and the actual story is flesh out from internal events, scenarios and lore.

In this particular case the bad guys, or Sull'ka were thought to be extint, exterminated by the Liir from a Bio weapon. However according to the dialog 7 escaped into deep space. where they healed and probably increased their numbers, they are entering back into the universe in the times where all the factions are starting to set up an uneasy truces with each other as their technology starts to get even with each other. The lords of winter are back and they are pretty pissed about almost getting killed off and technologicly speaking they are way advanced compared to the other races.

It appears that they have biomechnical ships or maybe infact, ARE the ship like the bentusi in homeworld and also have the ability to fold space or Tesseract from one location to anouther which would suggest they enjoy the benefits of instant travel like the hivers but without needing a gate set up in order to function.

The "Game" features turn base game management, in which you build, expore, research and manage events while combat plays out in real time.

The combat engine is like the previous but much more involved, featuring 3 planes of battle instead of a single 2 dimensional plan of the first one and much more control of individual units.

What makes the game unique is that it has many races, each with different hyper drives for movement with surprise in game events as you explore and a randomized tech tree so that every game is a bit different.

Pretty much every thing can be customized, the game mode, its rules and size and how you create and design your fleets, space station, colonies etc.

The first was a good game, but only because the game developers kept working on it. It's not for the faint of heart though. if your not hard core you probably won't take the time to learn it. However it does have a pretty easy to understand interfaces its just one of those games that can be tricky to master.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
It's a turn-based 4X game, 4X meaning explore, expand, exploit and exterminate. Basically you develop a space empire, manage the economy, colonize, build ships, etc. in a turn based system, but when there is an actual battle you jump into the real-time combat shown here. It's basically Total War IN SPACCCCCCCCCCCE.

Can't wait for this to come out, I loved the 'basement programmed' original.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Well, the dialogue was really filled with Cthulhu-slang (Elder, we sleep, puny minds. Seriously, just add Suul'ka Ftangh!), I doubt that was an accident. I've got no problems with that though, this is a fun take on them. The human "Sword of the Stars"-ship when he mentioned Sword being sliced in half was a fun call-back to the original intro.