Train derailment in Ohio explodes into major environmental disaster, journalists arrested.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I'm not sure if comparing it to Chernobyl is productive, but it also seems to be splitting hairs here as the police evacuated the town (but told people to leave their animals behind, and now all their pets and livestock are dead), but are now sending them back in while a cloud of noxious poisonous fumes looms over the city. The police have been jailing journalists trying to cover the disaster and the news is still captivated by spy balloons and UFOs while a massive disaster unfolds that could have been prevented by the last 3 administrations.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I am certainly not a Doctor or an Astronaut or a Mixologist but at least my understanding with comparing it to Chernobyl is more the immediate setup going on. It's Chernobyl in the sense that basically anything in the immediate area is super fucked and will either have immediate consequences (like all the dead animals) or will have far reaching consequences like anyone who stays in the area in the immediate future will get all kinds of fucked up

I can't imagine it's going to be a dead zone like Chernobyl has been for so long. I wouldn't think these kinds of chemicals would linger in the air THAT long but I suppose though all these chemicals could leak into the soil and whatnot and basically make it unlivable for the next decade or two. I'm not going to pretend like I have any idea of how these things would work but no matter what, it's probably not great for your health...

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
The police have been jailing journalists trying to cover the disaster
Just this guy or are there others?
-
Law enforcement officers interrupted NewsNation correspondent Evan Lambert as he broadcast from the event, where authorities announced they were lifting a multiday evacuation order near the site of a fiery weekend derailment in East Palestine, Ohio.

Two state highway patrol troopers and the Ohio National Guard’s adjutant general, Maj. Gen. John Harris, asked Lambert to stop his live reporting because they believed it was loud and disruptive, East Palestine police said in a news release Thursday.

An argument then broke out between Lambert and Harris, who pushed the reporter away from him as Lambert was approaching Harris “in an aggressive manner,” police said.

Reactions: Worgen

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Just this guy or are there others?
-
Law enforcement officers interrupted NewsNation correspondent Evan Lambert as he broadcast from the event, where authorities announced they were lifting a multiday evacuation order near the site of a fiery weekend derailment in East Palestine, Ohio.

Two state highway patrol troopers and the Ohio National Guard’s adjutant general, Maj. Gen. John Harris, asked Lambert to stop his live reporting because they believed it was loud and disruptive, East Palestine police said in a news release Thursday.

An argument then broke out between Lambert and Harris, who pushed the reporter away from him as Lambert was approaching Harris “in an aggressive manner,” police said.

Never believe the official police report, they assaulted a reporter for covering it and that tells you everything you need to know about the official response to releasing chemicals that have been banned under the Geneva convention.

Reactions: Kwak and BrawlMan

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Never believe the official police report, they assaulted a reporter for covering it and that tells you everything you need to know about the official response to releasing chemicals that have been banned under the Geneva convention.
It was a media conference though, they only were dicks to one journalist, for spurious reasons no doubt but not for covering the story.
Unless he was yelling out questions that were being ignored or something.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
It was a media conference though, they only were dicks to one journalist, for spurious reasons no doubt but not for covering the story.
Unless he was yelling out questions that were being ignored or something.
Considering what little coverage this has been getting has been just uncritically repeating press releases.

What details have emerged is that the governor was not aware of the reporter being disruptive and didn't notice him until the police were throwing him to the ground. But he was talking, presumably to a camera, and may have been saying something challenging to his audience. We don't know because the police threw him out, and the rest of the media is just saying the governor said it's safe to come back into the death zone.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Considering what little coverage this has been getting has been just uncritically repeating press releases.

What details have emerged is that the governor was not aware of the reporter being disruptive and didn't notice him until the police were throwing him to the ground. But he was talking, presumably to a camera, and may have been saying something challenging to his audience. We don't know because the police threw him out, and the rest of the media is just saying the governor said it's safe to come back into the death zone.
Oh yeah, it does seem to be a lot of 'well they say it's safe now...' reporting - which, cool I guess, if they are actually experts good at their jobs who know, and not just officials covering up, so a little more scrutiny would be warranted by the press.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Oh yeah, it does seem to be a lot of 'well they say it's safe now...' reporting - which, cool I guess, if they are actually experts good at their jobs who know, and not just officials covering up, so a little more scrutiny would be warranted by the press.
No idea if this guy was, maybe a cop just had a stick up their ass, been known to happen. But doing this makes for a bad look because it could be more serious than that. Poison has already hit the rivers and poisoned them, there's no telling what long term consequences there will be from this.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
there's no telling what long term consequences there will be from this.

Not good, at a guess.

"Vinyl chloride is also a carcinogen that’s been linked to increased risk of liver cancer. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns that breathing vinyl chloride over long periods “may be connected” to brain cancer, lung cancers and some cancers of the blood.

But much of what we know about how this chemical affects people is from studies of workers who’ve breathed it in for long stretches of time. It’s less understood how a sudden release, such as the one in Ohio, could affect people living nearby — or how the authorities’ decision to burn off the vinyl chloride might affect its dispersal.
The Environmental Protection Agency says it’s monitoring two other chemicals, phosgene and hydrogen chloride, that may be released into the air by the controlled burn. Neither of these is good news, either.

Phosgene was used as a weapon in World War I and is a highly toxic gas that can lead to choking, chest constriction and in the most acute exposures possibly even death. Hydrogen chloride, which has a pungent odor, can irritate the throat, nose and skin.

Train derailments occur roughly 1,000 times a year in the United States, according to the Federal Railroad Administration, although not all result in leakage of toxic chemicals.

There have been multiple reports of chemical spills from rail cars in the last year."

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The Geneva convention only applies to war. What a country does with the chemicals during peacetime is generally their own business.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hydrogen chloride turns into hydrochloric acid when mixed with water, such as in your lungs or eyes.

Good news is that it, and phosgene, and most chemical weapons are heavier than air, they flow downhill (and downwind, of course), and can be avoided if you know that.

Anyhoo, IMHO, a big problem is going to be lack of public confidence in the authorities dealing with this. They are likely to say things are alright, and maybe they are, but you going to trust them?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Meanwhile, we are freaking out about the balloon when we could have just silently shot it down, and increased drone research to later use against Chinese Cities. Instead, they decided to distract us with the balloon for Cold War reasons and ignore this which could affect the Midwest water table.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You know, I keep not watching it and I keep telling myself I should watch it cause it's supposed to be really good.

I think I'm gonna finally watch CHERNOBYL for no particular reason...
I like the first episode, like, it's really really good, but it feels like it loses a lot of steam by the end of the second and I lost interest.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I like the first episode, like, it's really really good, but it feels like it loses a lot of steam by the end of the second and I lost interest.
Really? Everyone I've heard talked about it have adored the entire show.

Although granted I don't think I know anyone in real life who saw the show, just people on The Twitter and whatnot raving about it. I guess I'll see soon enough!