Train derailment in Ohio explodes into major environmental disaster, journalists arrested.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Really? Everyone I've heard talked about it have adored the entire show.

Although granted I don't think I know anyone in real life who saw the show, just people on The Twitter and whatnot raving about it. I guess I'll see soon enough!
I think it's just that it started focussing on political drudgery more than the actual events on the ground that made me lose interest. Keep in mind, I had already read about the disaster in books so when it stopped looking to real events in favor of it's "fanfiction" characters, I kind of checked out.

Last edited:

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
this is entirely speculative, but perhaps what they meant is that there is a short-term danger that will clear up on its own (minus a large number of fish and birds and so forth), unlike for example an oil spill that needs an exhaustive clean-up without which an aquifer would be well and truly ruined. it is possible (maybe!) that the poisoning of Ohio will simply dilute enough not to be a problem. Or at least not a very noticeable problem. Especially if it isn't monitored too closely.

It is more plausible for gaseous pollutants, anyway.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Flippantly, I'd wonder if they mean the water is unsafe to drink due to some other problem. Not impossible, sadly.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
this is entirely speculative, but perhaps what they meant is that there is a short-term danger that will clear up on its own (minus a large number of fish and birds and so forth), unlike for example an oil spill that needs an exhaustive clean-up without which an aquifer would be well and truly ruined. it is possible (maybe!) that the poisoning of Ohio will simply dilute enough not to be a problem. Or at least not a very noticeable problem. Especially if it isn't monitored too closely.

It is more plausible for gaseous pollutants, anyway.
Well remember it wasn't just gasses in the train, there was quite a few things that spilled.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
"This is all news to you, what I just said, because NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT.
No one.
I mean, except for the local newspapers.
And some national ones.
I mean, yes, the ten largest newspapers in the United States have been covering it for the past two weeks. The New York Times alone has done four articles.
It was on Good Morning America.
So I do in fact agree with this Redditor, who says “The fact that I haven’t seen a news article/broadcast without having to search for it regarding this incident is extremely troubling.”
That IS troubling. What news are you consuming, my dude?
Oh, right. Reddit."

Transcript

Last edited:
Reactions: tstorm823

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"That IS troubling. What news are you consuming, my dude?
Oh, right. Reddit."
To be fair, Reddit is working hard to make up for it by obsessing over every single trail derailment in the US since.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...20220902130248064_21-1168bsacUnitedStates.pdf

Biden administration is actively interfering in a supreme court case involving Norfolk Southern in order to quash a worker's claim that they got cancer from unsafe working conditions. If the SC rules in favor of the railroad, it would end up heavily restricting who could sue them over the spill in Ohio. Specifically it would limit claims to either where an accident happened, so people in, say, neighboring Pennsylvania who get toxic chemicals from this spill won't be able to litigate against Norfolk Southern because the spill happened in Ohio.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Everyone in Ohio is buying lots of bottle water. At Costco 1/2 of the people were buying it in their shopping carts. It's nuts.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
"This is all news to you, what I just said, because NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT.
No one.
I mean, except for the local newspapers.
And some national ones.
I mean, yes, the ten largest newspapers in the United States have been covering it for the past two weeks. The New York Times alone has done four articles.
It was on Good Morning America.
So I do in fact agree with this Redditor, who says “The fact that I haven’t seen a news article/broadcast without having to search for it regarding this incident is extremely troubling.”
That IS troubling. What news are you consuming, my dude?
Oh, right. Reddit."

Transcript
This whole "MEDIA COVERUP" thing is utterly bizarre, and I'm damn convinced it's astroturfed to hell (fucked if I know who or why, though). There weren't even any fatalities in Ohio, but the internet is being plastered in posts comparing it to Chernobyl and trying to stir up as much panic as possible. Comments on Reddit were hysterically telling people to leave everything behind and run, it's absolutely wild.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...20220902130248064_21-1168bsacUnitedStates.pdf

Biden administration is actively interfering in a supreme court case involving Norfolk Southern in order to quash a worker's claim that they got cancer from unsafe working conditions. If the SC rules in favor of the railroad, it would end up heavily restricting who could sue them over the spill in Ohio. Specifically it would limit claims to either where an accident happened, so people in, say, neighboring Pennsylvania who get toxic chemicals from this spill won't be able to litigate against Norfolk Southern because the spill happened in Ohio.
Dixiecrat arguing in favor of states' rights. How surprising.

Everyone in Ohio is buying lots of bottle water. At Costco 1/2 of the people were buying it in their shopping carts. It's nuts.
I'm headed to the store in an hour or so to pick up groceries, and a few 5-gallon water jugs and some more filters are on my shopping list. Louisville's holding stupid on the stance it's not shutting off its Ohio water intake, and my side of the river's run by a bunch of morons, so I figure enough to get me by for a week until we find out what the state/federal government's lying about next would be a good idea.

Luckily, the people who live in my area are even dumber than the ones they elect, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting the water. A massive spill of highly toxic chemicals isn't nearly the emergency around here as snow on the forecast or a Democrat getting elected, in which case you can't buy milk, bread, eggs, or ammo anywhere in a thirty-mile radius.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

Ohio's Ohio's Governor may have his head up his ass, but it is good my state Gov. Josh Shapiro is trying to do something about it.
No he isn't, he's trying to make headlines for himself.

Edit: Josh Shapiro spent his primary budget advertising for Doug Mastriano so that he would have a worse opponent to run against. He is a cynical turd willing to make the world worse to give himself more power.

umatbro

Feb 18, 2021
Country
Australia (Not Yahtzee's homeland)
Booty-judge is the fall guy? Good, he won't be missed.