Transformers 5, Hansel and Gretel 2, and More Set for 2016 Release by Paramount

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Transformers 5, Hansel and Gretel 2, and More Set for 2016 Release by Paramount

Paramount has revealed its film lineup for 2016 and it's full of sequels to existing franchises.

While the Michael Bay-directed Transformers: Age of Extinction hasn't made its way into theaters yet, fans can already look forward to its as-of-yet untitled sequel in 2016. At CineEurope, Paramount Pictures' International svp, EMEA Edward Ryan, revealed the film's planned theatrical schedule along with the rest of its lineup, which is full of sequels. Among the movies Paramount has penciled in for 2016 are: Transformers 5, Paranormal Activity 5, Hansel and Gretel 2, GI Joe 3, Star Trek 3, Eddie Murphy returning for Beverly Hills Cop IV, and the Ben Hur remake directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter).

Currently, no stars are attached to Transformers 5, and we don't know if Mark Wahlberg will reprise his role as Cade Yeager. As for Hansel and Gretel 2, it's expected that director Tommy Wirkola will once again helm the sequel, with stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton returning to play as the brother and sister Witch Hunters. Regarding Star Trek 3, for better or for worse, J.J. Abrams will be vacating the director's seat, and it will be taken up by Robert Orci [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134484-Roberto-Orci-Will-Direct-Star-Trek-III], who co-wrote the previous two Star Trek movies with Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof.

Transformers: Age of Extinction is set for on June 27 in North America, and will be set four years after the invasion of Chicago in Dark Side of the Moon. For more on the movie, you can check out The Escapist's "deconstruction" of the trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/11089-Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-Trailer-Deconstructed] to get an idea what you'll expect next week.

Out of the lot, I admit I'm excited to see Hansel and Gretel 2 even though it was panned critically, it was still a guilty pleasure of mine, though it did try too hard to be cool. What about you? Are you excited for Paramount's 2016 lineup or are they going overboard with the sequels?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cineeurope-paramount-screens-transformers-age-712745]

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Likewise, I'll probably also tune into Hansel and Gretel 2. Star Trek 3 though? I love the cast, but giving it essentially the same production team as ASM2 makes me very VERY nervous. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish JJ was hanging around at the very least...

Shrugs all around for PA5, T5, GIJ3, BHCIV and a Ben Hur remake. I don't really care. (Although a Ben Hur remake? Really?!)

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Oh my, not more new star trek the last one was rubbish, the original remake was a little bit better but still.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I don't really care if everyone else dislikes the new Star Trek movies, I liked them so I am happy to know there is one coming in 2016. I am curious if it will feel different under a different director despite having the same cast and script writers. Also a third GI Joe is interesting since the second was a lower budget film relying on the rock. Considering it made more than the first film on a lower budget, it seems to be a success so I am curious if they will go big budget again or keep it low budget again to see if that works better.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
They don't seem to have anything that interests me, but i am looking forward to reading the inevetable funny reviews of Transformers 5, when it once again turns out to be the worst movie of the year, just like all the previous movies. It's undoubtedly going to be awful, the question is, how bad will it be? For entertainment value i kinda hope it wil be worse than 2-3.

Star Trek might be cool enough, if they decide to do something new this time. Into Darkness didn't do it for me, it was too convoluted and they basically ruined everything they had going for them in those last 20 minutes.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Alex Co said:
Currently, no stars are attached to Transformers 5, or if Mark Wahlberg will reprise his role as Cade Yeager.
Seriously? That's his characters name? That's almost as bad as Will Smith's in After Earf.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Of those, the only one I'm kinda looking forward to is Hansel & Gretel 2, as the first one was an enjoyable unpretentious action flick. I'm also "meh" about the Ben Hur remake, as that can be pretty much anything at this point, though the choice of director isn't instilling confidence.

I'm not and never was on board with Bayformers, but I can kinda understand why people like them, so good luck with that.

However, we absolutely don't need a new Star Trek. Two gaping singularities of plot holes, terrible casting, terrible acting, lens flare and defilement of a beloved franchise were more than enough. And while I understand why people like the Transformers, the only thing in favour of the recent ST films is the near total lack of space-based sci-fi, which is an itch they kinda scratch.

And seriously, yet another Paranormal Activity? Really? So this is like the new Saw series, or something? One good film which then gets milked for eternity?

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Transformers, GI Joe, and Star Trek. It seems someone at Paramount is determined to kill any love I once had for these franchises before Paramount started crapping out such horrible films.

A part of me would almost like to see Paramount fold under as a studio just in the hope that some how a studio with creative talent could pick up the franchises to make at least one good film out of them.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
already thinking of making transformers 5? they are fast.
kind of looking for hansel and gretel. enjoyed the last actually. was a entertaining movie.
beverly hills cop 4. not sure what to think of it.
star trek 3. sure why not. at least the last one was enjoyable. yes, i do like it.

the rest, no interest. only watched paranormal 1 and since then i never bothered to watch the others.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
The only movie I'm curious about in that lineup is the Ben Hur one

The Star Trek 3 movie might be passable... but the rest will likely be the same drek as the movies they being sequels to.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Only one thats interesting is a new Beverly Hills Cop. Hope Eddie still has it.

As for Star Trek 3, it had better be a new original story and not a rip off of the original ST3 - keep JJ away from it.

H&G 2 could be good, i enjoyed the first one for what it was.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Let's see:

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - no, thank you.
The Gambler - might be alright
Project Almanac - I'm not a Bay hater so I'll keep an eye on this one
Terminator: Genesis - Arnold is back to his roots (probably because everything else with him in it is bombing hard)
Friday the 13th 3D - mainstream slashers are sort of dead at this point so I'll take it
Mission Impossible 5 - 4th one was really good so looking forward to this one
Paranormal Activity 5 - no, thank you
Ben Hur - considering that there were already 4 movies and 1 mini series before, this isn't that surprising, might go either way
Beverly Hills Cop 4 - after the last 15 years of Eddie Murphy's filmography, I'll pass
Transformers 5 - will have to see the 4th one first but I predict that it will have cool fights and explosions as well as annoying forced comic relief characters
G.I. Joe 3 - could be good, could be bad, will probably be meh
Hansel and Gretel 2 - well, the Resident Evil series is ending so we need a new over the top R rated schlock series to take over, this one is as good as any
Star Trek 3 - who wants to bet that it will be about the Borg?

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Say what you will about Hansel and Gretal: Witch Hunters, at least it was willing to admit and relish how ridiculous and silly it was, unlike the vast majority of big dumb action spectacles like Star Trek, Transformers, Amazing Spider Man, G.I. Joe, et al.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Metalrocks said:
Hasbro are doing a new trilogy, with the 4th kicking it off, it's meant to have a much more cohesive story than the previous trilogy. That's what news has said anyway, they know that they want to do, and seen as though 2016 is quite close, i'm assuming Bay is sticking with the franchise.

Mark and the other main human characters are signed for the trilogy. So they are definitely coming back

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
arc1991 said:
Metalrocks said:
Hasbro are doing a new trilogy, with the 4th kicking it off, it's meant to have a much more cohesive story than the previous trilogy. That's what news has said anyway, they know that they want to do, and seen as though 2016 is quite close, i'm assuming Bay is sticking with the franchise.

Mark and the other main human characters are signed for the trilogy. So they are definitely coming back
didnt know that. thanks for the info.