Transformers: Age of Extinction Trailer Deconstructed

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Transformers: Age of Extinction Trailer Deconstructed

The new trailer for Transformers: Age of Extinction shows a lot of promise and presents quite a few mysteries of where it's headed next.

Read Full Article

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Why were there shell casings inside of Optimus Prime? Was he eating them? I know they won't explain it, but it would probably make much more sense if there were actually expended slugs and whatnot instead of the part that never gets fired.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
As nice as the trailer looks, I'm not feeling it. I've been burned too many times by Bay and his Transformers movie to put any faith and/or trust into Age of Extinction. Judging from the posters and the trailer, it looks like the humans might be getting more screen time than the actual robots. The designs, despite the new versions of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, are pretty much the same mess from the first 3 movies. And just because the trailer doesn't show off the bad qualities of the past movies (the unnecessary humor, unlikeable characters, zero character development, the racist stereotypes, etc) doesn't mean it won't be in the movie. Trailers have the tendency of showing us what the studios want you to see rather than any major flaws it might have.

These are just my opinions and the final version of the film might prove me wrong. Until then, I'm not gonna get excited for a trailer that may only be giving us false hopes and empty promises.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
You know what? Bob... I am with you.

Granted, the previous Transformers movies were hardly classics (or even good), but I never understood the loath people had with this image:

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Huh...
I've only seen the last 2 Transformers movies because of Rifftrax.
But I might actually watch this one on it's own.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
walsfeo said:
Why were there shell casings inside of Optimus Prime? Was he eating them? I know they won't explain it, but it would probably make much more sense if there were actually expended slugs and whatnot instead of the part that never gets fired.
I was getting that feeling too. Most people don't actually know the difference between a bullet slug and its casing. The casing stays in the gun guys, it is not what is shot out the barrel! So long as Michael Bay doesn't make that mistake (which he SHOULD know better, being a military fan) I'll forgive him for whatever cheasy reason he gives, because robot dinosaurs.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Three things I took from this trailer:

1)--Bay is getting less subtle about his disregard for this franchise, if "We don't need you anymore!" being emphasized in the trailer is any indication. Not that we needed any reminding but Bay only got this gig because Hollywood thought if anyone would get a kick out of a franchise like this it would be the wartoy-fetishizing man-child that is Michael Bay. Even if he doesn't phone in his directorial efforts, I expect to see more "military does it better" and "get over these goddamn robots" mantras being spouted at me in the finished film.

2)--I anticipate Mark Wahlberg's character to be less dorky teenager and more dorky nostalgia-obsessed over-30 man-child to be ironically appealing to the fans who did the most complaining about this franchise. Bay likely set out to make Cade(!!!) into a kind of parody of all those guys who grew up with Transformers, but it will have the reverse effect of making him really popular with said nostalgia fans.

3)--I have the shaking suspicion that Grimlock does not speak or transform in this film. He's just a quasi-sentient T-rex robot like the scorpion from the first films.

Ultimately, play the Cybertron series of Transformers (War For and Fall Of, specifically). In fact, here's the trailer that they released for Fall of Cybertron. Bay's movie suddenly seems like the over-hyped Triple A nonsense gamers complain about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1N91LyATF0

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Sorry, but no; fuck everything about this film. It will take the resurrection of Christ and Budda and their personal guarantee that this movie is good for me to even consider spending money or time on it.

demalo

Aug 16, 2011
I'd love me some Omega Prime. Autobots need to start kicking some ass. Looks like Opitimus isn't afraid to take some humans down in this Transformers movie.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep, looks just like the other three (which for me is a good thing btw). Only this time the protagonist is one of my favorite actors. Can't wait for this film.

Edit: Though I should say Grimlock better play a bigger role than the giant T-rex Prime destroys. Him and his team are the coolest Transformers

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'm gonna need more than an alright looking trailer before I give any transformers movie the time of day!

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
actually Bob, its been confirmed that gunface is the character Lockdown, originally introduced in "Transformers Animiated" as a bounty hunter not specifically aligned with either the autobots or decepticons, and took weapons and tools from his catches as trophys to upgrade himself with.

Galvatron has been confirmed to be this guy
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/e/e7/AOEGalvatron.jpg/350px-AOEGalvatron.jpg

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
If they follow the route in the original cartoon movie I can confirm this movie is going to be awesome. Bumblebee likely filling the Hotrod role.

Damn, I'm actually pretty stoked for this movie. Looks like Bay may have known he dropped the ball in previous iterations and has decided just to go for it.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I don't want to be the downer here, but I'm willing to bet the Dinobots have been on Earth since the age of the actual Dinosaurs and were here keeping an watchful eye on the planet to see how it was going to evolve. The extinction of the dinosaurs was actually caused by Decepticons that were worried that dinosaurs were about to evolve into a higher form of consciousness so they decided to destroy them before they could and send the Earth back millions of years in evolutionary terms.

I'm sorry but that's the sort of cheese that you just come to expect in a movie like this.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I actually suspect that the villain is Scorpinok. The space ship looks like a giant scorpion.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I can't judge the film by the trailer because for all his faults Bay does make really nice trailers. When something has to be short and to the point like a trailer does then Bay finds a way to shine.

But then full length films are filled all sorts of padding because either he doesn't understand the concept of cutting stuff for a better flow or his ego is just so massive he thinks everything he shoots is worth being in a film. The bad humor and horrible stereotypes also don't make it into the trailers, but ouch he seems happy to put such cringe worthy stuff in the movies.

I would love to be wrong and this was a well written film without needless padding that had interesting characters and great film villains, but after three films of overpowered Autobots and Team America stomp all over paper tiger Decepticons I get the feeling it's another film where the trailers are better than the finished film.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
I'm getting closer to saying their are no actual Dinobots in the movie. Rather we're dealing with Predicons. There might be a Predicon called Dinobot, but not an actual Dinobot called Grimlock.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
CHAD YEAGER? Why did you yell that so many times, Bob? What's special about that name?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
walsfeo said:
I imagine it might happen if Optimus is in a tough fight and ends up on his back then fires his gun in a way that the ejected casings land on his chest. Then he transforms and his chest ends up being the interior with casings inside.

Then he powers down until Marky Mark defibrillates him, and now it's the movie.