Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Review

A wonderful translation of toy to game.

Read Full Article

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Kind of expected a longer review. Good to hear that it's good though. I think I need to get this game.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I got this game last Tuesday, and every word of this review is true. It's just plain FUN, and the "linear" structure of levels is just fine for my tranforming, item exploring, baddy shooting needs. One of the MUST GETS of the year!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Got the game last Thursday (one day before my area release, strangely, but hey, works for me), and I had a lot of fun with it. Nevermind the fact that I grew up with the 80s cartoon - this is simply a good game.
If there's one big point of criticism I'd have to lever, it'd be the upgrade system. It necessitates traipsing around emptied battlefields to collect hidden or dropped energon shards to pay for upgrades at the Teletraan stores, and it just egregiously breaks both flow and immersion for me.

EDIT: Oh and Mike, you should have gone with "Me Grimlock kick butt!" in the credits. xD

MagmaMan

Apr 2, 2012
This is one of the best shooters of the year in general, my personal favorite over-all though so far. It's so good the demo even managed to let me convince some non-Transformers fan friends of mine who were extremely skeptical to get it because the game was so much fun. I only wish you had more time to play as Bruticus and that there were more of my favorite characters crammed into the campaign. Definite recommendation to all Transformers and Third-Person Shooter fans!

At least check it out for the multiplayer if you aren't into Transformers, it's awesome! Beats even Halo in my opinion. Soaring in as a jet, transforming, healing three team mates while rapidly dashing around to make sure you yourself stay alive, shooting a couple enemies with an orbital pistol, killing one with a burst rifle then rapidly transforming and flying away while getting peppered by enemy gun fire in a desperate attempt to find a health cube before engaging another jet in a dog fight... yeah you don't get that kind of action anywhere else!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This game is awesome! Got it on Friday and i haven't played another game since! Every character you play as is given awesome character development, the voice acting is just phenomenal, story telling is possibly the best i have seen, and the sheer sense of scale is just of the chart! With Metroplex, Vortex's HUGE mission area (the biggest in the Unreal engine i may add) and Bruticus's mission the game just feels huge, even though it's a linear game, it gives you a chance to breath, and explore. G1 fans will love the references as well, A must get for any Transformer fan, and i would urge any non Fans to at least try!

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
So glad I pre-ordered this. Possibly my favourite shooter of the year so far. And I'm not even a Transformers fan! I actually went out and got my hands on the G1 cartoon, I was so sold on Transformers by this game. I kind of wish I was a kid again; my inner child loves the game much more than I do.

It is amazing though. Definitely a must-buy for shooter fans, and Transformers fans especially.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
This game is great, it's a shame that a lot of people seem to think it's a Gears of War clone and therefore will not even look into it.

I am having a blast, about halfway through the campaign and the multiplayer is great too.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
the first game was fun, but this game looks way better. the proper use of the Transformers license really makes it stand out, though Gears of War's co-op (esp locally) is what I wish both war and fall of cybertron had :[

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Is it just me though, or is the visual design for many of the transformers and environments extremely cluttered and ugly? I mean it seems to take the worst aspects of visual design from both the Bayformers and the old Transformers and mash them together...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Why is Grimmlock on Cybertron????

EDIT: Is the acid I took way back in high school affecting my memories of preschool?
Over the years TF canon has undergone some changes - this is one of them. Grimlock and his team were known as the Lightning Strike Coalition back on Cybertron; powerful fighters, but loose cannons. Shockwave abducted them during an expedition into the Sea of Rust and, having previously remotely scanned pre-historic Earth in an attempt to locate new sources of Energon, surgically twisted their forms into dinosaurs after realizing said animals' sheer destructive potential. While most of the team retained their former traits of character, Grimlock had ca. 98% of his mental circuity rewired to boost combat power, hence the simple attitude and language. Oh, and the team now only numbers four Dinobots; Sludge was never remodelled, he was killed by Insecticons during an escape attempt.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sonicron said:
Sober Thal said:
Why is Grimmlock on Cybertron????

EDIT: Is the acid I took way back in high school affecting my memories of preschool?
Over the years TF canon has undergone some changes - this is one of them. Grimlock and his team were known as the Lightning Strike Coalition back on Cybertron; powerful fighters, but loose cannons. Shockwave abducted them during an expedition into the Sea of Rust and, having previously remotely scanned pre-historic Earth in an attempt to locate new sources of Energon, surgically twisted their forms into dinosaurs after realizing said animals' sheer destructive potential. While most of the team retained their former traits of character, Grimlock had ca. 98% of his mental circuity rewired to boost combat power, hence the simple attitude and language. Oh, and the team now only numbers four Dinobots; Sludge was never remodelled, he was killed by Insecticons during an escape attempt.
It is weird Sludge was Killed, he was given a dino form and new robot form in some concept art, it's strange they made that and didn't use it =\

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Is it just me though, or is the visual design for many of the transformers and environments extremely cluttered and ugly? I mean it seems to take the worst aspects of visual design from both the Bayformers and the old Transformers and mash them together...
All the designs are G1 inspired, just modernized. Some features are taken from the Prime Series, and some from other of shows such as Armada, Energon and Cybertron, for example, Cliffjumpers head is inspired by his Prime character, Scattershot is taken from Cybertron, and Demolisher is taken from Armada. The only thing that relates to the films is Bee losing his voice, however that also relates to the Prime series :p

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
arc1991 said:
It is weird Sludge was Killed, he was given a dino form and new robot form in some concept art, it's strange they made that and didn't use it =\
Well, we do see both forms in the game... just not as moving parts xD

As for similarities to the Prime series, that makes sense, given the fact that both the Cybertron games and the Prime series have been declared official canon and hence have to tie into one another.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sonicron said:
arc1991 said:
Well, we do see both forms in the game... just not as moving parts xD

As for similarities to the Prime series, that makes sense, given the fact that both the Cybertron games and the Prime series have been declared official canon and hence have to tie into one another.
Actually, the robot form we see is his original form, if you look on concept art his chest is red, however in the game it looks completely different, he never made it to Shockwaves lab.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
arc1991 said:
Actually, the robot form we see is his original form, if you look on concept art his chest is red, however in the game it looks completely different, he never made it to Shockwaves lab.
Oh? Well, I didn't look that closely, so I'll gladly take your word for it. :)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sonicron said:
arc1991 said:
Oh? Well, I didn't look that closely, so I'll gladly take your word for it. :)
Yeh bit of a bummer, hope we get some single player DLC or something.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Sonicron said:
Over the years TF canon has undergone some changes - this is one of them. Grimlock and his team were known as the Lightning Strike Coalition back on Cybertron; powerful fighters, but loose cannons.
Prior to this game, the elite Autobot commandos that comprised of Grimlock and Co. were called the Dynobots.

I don't know what their story was for the original marvel comics, where I know they existed on Cybertron, but I have no idea how they came to have dinosaur modes.