Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Review

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Strife2k7 said:
saintdane05 said:
Strife2k7 said:
saintdane05 said:
Guys... all of you up there which I'm to lazy to quote...

IDW is in a sperate continuity than the G1 comics and Cartoons. Fall of Cybertron is not in G1 either. Rather, it is in the Aligned continuity, which puts it in the same place as the total awesomeness known as Transformers Prime.

<youtube=GnJPWqN5h5M>

Ignore low quality footage.
Hasbro sortof insists that everything from War for Cybertron forward would be part of an 'aligned' continuity, but if you listen to the video interviews with Matt Tieger from SDCC he says flat out that their game is a G1 prequel and has absolutely nothing to do with TF Prime, aside from taking the look of Cliffjumper's head from that show and Hasbro forcing them to make Bumblebee a mute <which he was not in War and they didn't want him to be in this game either. That was a Hasbro call> In fact, both of High Moon's games heavily contradict TF Prime in major areas that are not reconcilable unless the major characters all undergo a lobotomy prior to the events of the show.

TLDR? In short, the aligned continuity is Hasbro's idea. High Moon wrote a retelling of the G1 backstory and Hasbro has tried to shoehorn it into Prime, doesn't fit.
I know. But still, it actually starts to be sort of connected by season 2. The main contradiction is in designs and Dark Energon.

And also, Prime was made using the same production bible as WFC, so that may help.
Some of the backstory is the same, some is different, and the designs I could understand evolving in the millions of years between the stories. Dark Energon is a pretty massive contradiction though. A mythical, incredibly rare substance at the beginning of TFPrime which few have even heard of, and literally the power source for every single Decepticon after Megatron restarts its production in War.

Oh, forgot one other thing they took from Prime. The updated Nemesis design, although that shape is the same one they used in Beast Wars too.
The Dark Energon thing could be explained: MOst of it was destroyed on Cybertron. Although people just forgetting is kind of stupid. Like that one part of All Hail Megatron...

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
this pleases me, I'm glad to hear the game is still sounding as good as ever. I'll have to go and buy this soon.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
"The love High Moon Studios has for Transformers shines through at every available moment, and no one who's ever held a beloved action figure or toy in their hands will be able to miss it."
I guess Yatzee is one of people will miss it (he mention now ever owning one of those toys as a kid in the War for Cybertron review). I wonder if he review it tommorrow or not?

Anyway it just so happen that I got the game (and Dark Soul: Prepare to die Edition) delivered today. However these days my priority is toward Guild Wars 2 at the moment but I will eventually play it!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
My one issue with this game (which apparently nobody else has brought up) was the ending. The stage leading up to the ending cinematic was wonderful, and the entirety of the game before-hand kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting to see what came next. The ending was so terrible that as the credits began rolling, I was literally sitting here, jaw agape, and said aloud, "What."

Because after the quality of the rest of the game, I just couldn't believe High Moon would stuff it up like that.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Sonicron said:
Draconalis said:
Sonicron said:
Over the years TF canon has undergone some changes - this is one of them. Grimlock and his team were known as the Lightning Strike Coalition back on Cybertron; powerful fighters, but loose cannons.
Prior to this game, the elite Autobot commandos that comprised of Grimlock and Co. were called the Dynobots.

I don't know what their story was for the original marvel comics, where I know they existed on Cybertron, but I have no idea how they came to have dinosaur modes.
First time I hear about the 'Dynobots' name. You got a source?
The first time I saw Grimlock (but no other bots from his current team) was as a rebellious Autobot sub-commander, and later leader of the Lightning Strike Coalition in Dreamwave's "War Within" comics; his alternate mode was a tank.

For me, when I think Dynobot this guy comes to mind:

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
MorganL4 said:
For me, when I think Dynobot this guy comes to mind:

Gonna have to rewatch that show some time. Beast Wars and Beast Machines are unequivocally the greatest Transformers shows I have ever seen.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Why is Grimmlock on Cybertron????

EDIT: Is the acid I took way back in high school affecting my memories of preschool?
The game pretty much an origin story of the dinobots

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Strife2k7 said:
saintdane05 said:
Guys... all of you up there which I'm to lazy to quote...

IDW is in a sperate continuity than the G1 comics and Cartoons. Fall of Cybertron is not in G1 either. Rather, it is in the Aligned continuity, which puts it in the same place as the total awesomeness known as Transformers Prime.

<youtube=GnJPWqN5h5M>

Ignore low quality footage.
Hasbro sortof insists that everything from War for Cybertron forward would be part of an 'aligned' continuity, but if you listen to the video interviews with Matt Tieger from SDCC he says flat out that their game is a G1 prequel and has absolutely nothing to do with TF Prime
Wrong.

They say they use the G1 cartoons as a basis, how they design the characters, however it isn't a prequel to Prime (however it does have a lot to do with it), it's a Prequel to ALL continuity's, We have Demolisher from the Armada series, Scattershot looking like his Cybertron series self, Starscreams voice greatly resemble his Armada self, however his attitude does not, The path blaster looks like Primes gun in the Prime series, same with Optimus's shoulders. Ratchet is a mix of his Animated and Prime self, CJ's head is obviously based on Prime and then we have Dark Energon which came from The prime series, the games really are a mix of every continuity.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Kwil said:
"dissension" One of the few singular words in the English language with three "S"s in it, and you screw up your chance to use it with a mis-spelling.
Surely you meant the far less rude (and far more accurate) "'Dissension': one of the few words in the English language with three "s"s in it, and yet you chose to go with an accepted alternate to the spelling that I prefer."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dissension

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
SpectacularWebHead said:
Cuz my internet is slow, someone tell me: Can you play as Hot Rod? If you can, insta buy.
No, However, in the character creator in MP, you could probably make something like Hotrod, I made Mirage using Dragstrips chest, and Bee's head, not the best, but meh xD

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
My one issue with this game (which apparently nobody else has brought up) was the ending. The stage leading up to the ending cinematic was wonderful, and the entirety of the game before-hand kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting to see what came next. The ending was so terrible that as the credits began rolling, I was literally sitting here, jaw agape, and said aloud, "What."

Because after the quality of the rest of the game, I just couldn't believe High Moon would stuff it up like that.
Have yet to get that far, but yours is the first opinion on the games ending that I have heard as a negative.

I will wait and see it when I finish the game, but I hope it isn't bad.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
shrekfan246 said:

Have yet to get that far, but yours is the first opinion on the games ending that I have heard as a negative.

Well, obviously your mileage will vary depending on your personal preferences. But, without trying to spoil anything, unless I include the last stage as part of the 'ending' as a whole, the entire thing is extremely abrupt.
It would be like if Dark Knight Rises had ended on the scene of the bomb exploding over Gotham Bay, with nothing afterwards. Camera pans out over the explosion, then it cuts to black and the credits roll. That's what the ending to Fall of Cybertron was like.

It was blatant and obvious sequel-bait, but the problem is that it created massive plot-holes if they do make a sequel, at least, depending on how they do the sequel. Again... trying not to spoil anything here...

I mean, I get that people probably aren't highly invested in the story, but I'm legitimately interested. High Moon studios managed to make a pretty damn good Transformers game in War for Cybertron, so I was pretty excited for this one too, and you can be damn sure that if they do make a sequel, I'll probably be getting it. The ending just... really put a damper on what was otherwise a great game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
shrekfan246 said:

Well, obviously your mileage will vary depending on your personal preferences. But, without trying to spoil anything, unless I include the last stage as part of the 'ending' as a whole, the entire thing is extremely abrupt.
It would be like if Dark Knight Rises had ended on the scene of the bomb exploding over Gotham Bay, with nothing afterwards. Camera pans out over the explosion, then it cuts to black and the credits roll. That's what the ending to Fall of Cybertron was like.

It was blatant and obvious sequel-bait, but the problem is that it created massive plot-holes if they do make a sequel, at least, depending on how they do the sequel. Again... trying not to spoil anything here...

I mean, I get that people probably aren't highly invested in the story, but I'm legitimately interested. High Moon studios managed to make a pretty damn good Transformers game in War for Cybertron, so I was pretty excited for this one too, and you can be damn sure that if they do make a sequel, I'll probably be getting it. The ending just... really put a damper on what was otherwise a great game.
Ah, I was kinda expecting an abrupt end.

The Ark and or Nemesis end up going through the space bridge and then fade to credits, I can't imagine it's too far off that.

I will message you and let you know what I think when I do finish the game, may take me a while to get around to though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kwil said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Kwil said:
"dissension" One of the few singular words in the English language with three "S"s in it, and you screw up your chance to use it with a mis-spelling.
Surely you meant the far less rude (and far more accurate) "'Dissension': one of the few words in the English language with three "s"s in it, and yet you chose to go with an accepted alternate to the spelling that I prefer."
Yeah. I'm sure that's the reason why you can't even find it in most dictionaries, and even in Merriam-Webster as only a variation of the proper spelling. Because it's so well accepted.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Dissention

http://oxforddictionaries.com/spellcheck/english/?q=dissention

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/spellcheck/american-english/?q=dissention

http://www.wordnik.com/words/Dissention

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dissention

Personally.. I think the wiktionary definition is probably the most accurate:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dissention

I mean hey, you can have your preferred spellings all you want. That still doesn't make them correct.
I wonder if this is simply a matter of regional differences. I've been an editor for 20 years, and I've only ever seen it spelled "dissention" (as in, an instance of dissent).

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh Mein Gott, the community is gonna go nuts over this. A fan game, you don't get these very often. I just got off reading the comments over at IGN and they are fucking hilarious while not one of em being excessively negative.

Question : 'Where is the score ?'
Answers : The humans have taken it, Optimus has taken it, Ratings are the right of all sentient beings, Megatron has taken it, Starscream has taken it, Look at how much this escalation-ed etc.

Did a 25 kills no deaths TDM on the demo. I am picking this up. Pew-pew-pew.