Transformers- war for/ fall of cybertron...

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
So as I'm suggestive, and a miracle of sound fan, I have been dragged back into the world of transformers, having missed quite a bit of stuff about it. I mean I was last watching transformers back in the days of that one with the keys that did stuff like give cars wings and shit (That wasn't the actual name, btw) and I was wondering, is it worth getting the games from that series? Were they any good? Also, transformers fans, any changes in recent years I should be aware of? Someone please tell me that hotrod still exists in some way. He was d'bot.

Anyway, TFWFC and the other one, any good?

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
I honestly haven't seriously watched Transformers since Beast Wars, so... I can't answer that.

But I really liked War for Cybertron. If you've seen how harsh I am on other games, this should stick out like a "wow, he actually likes something."

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
War for Cybertron was pretty meh. Kinda grey TPS, the transforming was a bit gimmicky, but the weapons had a good feel to them.
Apparently Fall of Cybertron is better though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The best way to describe them is Gears of War in Transformers theme, and the story is pretty decent (better then the movies anyway).

So if you like those kind of third person shooters then go for it.
Edit: Seems Chesty McWallhigh is a sorely missed character that I forgot to mention the absence of, so there you have been warned you got no cover glue thing going on.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
well there both part of the new Aligned transformers cannon, cherry picking the best of all previous cannons, so hot rod (though he can't be called that now due to legal reasons, probably exists there somewhere, because Ultra Magnus does(wii game side story, which is not good)) and war for and fall of cybertron are less sequals and more the same game split into two halves, at least narrative wise, gameplay wise it's gears of wars with transformers with some obvious refrences (line for line dialogue and scene copies in some places with a few minor differences), some not so obvious refrences , along with the streamlined story.

faction to game campaign story Wfc starts decepticon for so many chapters, then switchs to autobots for finalie. FoC starts autobot, then decepticon , then switchs back and forth in last level.

major differences is Wfc you can choose between one of three transformers per level (because of the co-op mode) in FoC the character is predetermined for better narrative and also no co-op, but there is a weapon upgrade mechanic in FoC and stores that let you choose which weapons you want rather than hoping to find the one that you want.

For transformers fans defiantly worth picking up them there both solid, and I rather like the dinobots revised origin, but Fall is the better of the two.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Mr.K. said:
The best way to describe them is Gears of War in Transformers theme, and the story is pretty decent (better then the movies anyway).

So if you like those kind of third person shooters then go for it.
Gears of..War?
That's certainly not the impression I got.
One of the cornerstones of the gameplay in GoW is the cover system right?
Fall of Cybertron did not have that. (Or if it did, I didn't notice or use it)
No hiding behind walls in FoC, there's a bigger emphasis on running and gunning, and any cover you do use is done by actually standing behind cover rather than a context button.

More OT: Played the demo for WfC, didn't think much of it.
FoC is much MUCH more improved.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Both are pretty solid games, with the second one improving on basically everything. Especially the visuals, more bold colors etc, so things look better and stand out.

It's probably my favorite game for the year, been having a blast with it, the multiplayer is good fun too, don't know what they player count for the first game is anymore, but the second one seems to be full of full games :)

The games are also kind of their own canon, so it's not a bad starting point for people, hope I've helped.

Oh and don't listen to anyone who compares it to Gears of War, there is no cover mechanic, it's a very different game.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
Oh and don't listen to anyone who compares it to Gears of War, there is no cover mechanic, it's a very different game.
it's a third person shooter where the best way (note I said best, not only way) to survive is behind structures, just because there isn't a velcro-spine-to-wall button doesn't mean it isn't a cover based shooter for the most part, and while there are segments out in the open your usually dodging a-helluvalot to avoid getting hit or it's a driving segment so Gears comparisons aren't coming from nowhere people are just comparing it to something similar and popular OP probably has knowledge of

Of course FoC has stealth segments and a god of war inspired Grimlock segment, so at least it adds a bit more variety.

edit: I mean if it's not supposed to be a cover based shooter why is there an option to switch which hand is holding your gun?

Jun 11, 2008
Do you like Transformers? If you answered yes and have money to burn you may as well. I played the first one and a game overall it is pretty decent but one of the best Transformer games ever.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Soulrender95 said:
well there both part of the new Aligned transformers cannon, cherry picking the best of all previous cannons, so hot rod (though he can't be called that now due to legal reasons, probably exists there somewhere, because Ultra Magnus does(wii game side story, which is not good)) and war for and fall of cybertron are less sequals and more the same game split into two halves, at least narrative wise, gameplay wise it's gears of wars with transformers with some obvious refrences (line for line dialogue and scene copies in some places with a few minor differences), some not so obvious refrences , along with the streamlined story.

faction to game campaign story Wfc starts decepticon for so many chapters, then switchs to autobots for finalie. FoC starts autobot, then decepticon , then switchs back and forth in last level.

major differences is Wfc you can choose between one of three transformers per level (because of the co-op mode) in FoC the character is predetermined for better narrative and also no co-op, but there is a weapon upgrade mechanic in FoC and stores that let you choose which weapons you want rather than hoping to find the one that you want.

For transformers fans defiantly worth picking up them there both solid, and I rather like the dinobots revised origin, but Fall is the better of the two.

There's nothing keeping them from using Hotrod as a name for the character. He's been used as Hotrod for the past decade in comics and novels.

Oh and for the OP now is a great time to get back into Transformers. Movies are over and we have a great series in TF Prime with Welker and Cullen back as Megatron and Prime War and Fall of Cybertron being great games with an amazing story and being far more mobile in combat than any third person shooter other than Vanquish. And the comics continuing to be awesome,

In the comics we have The war between the Bots and Cons being over
Living on Cybertron with Bumblebee being the leader of the planet and lots of political intrigue and mystery

Rodimus Prime leading a different faction off in outerspace on a big quest and encountering lots of weird alien stuff.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
But there would be issues if they released a toy called Hot Rod, which is why in the Unicron trilogy (Armada/energon/cybertron) they used Rodimus as a character name, comics/novels are exempt because Hot Rod is a character name and not a trademark and since they are producing toys based on war for and fall of cybertron having a character called Hot Rod but his toy called Rodimus(Major/minor) or Hot Shot would be confusing to the younger members of the target audience who wouldn't know the characters history, so much simpler to call him Rodimus in game and avoid confusion.

And apparently the character already exists as Hot Shot in the DS version of war for cybertron.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Soulrender95 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
it's a third person shooter where the best way (note I said best, not only way) to survive is behind structures, just because there isn't a velcro-spine-to-wall button doesn't mean it isn't a cover based shooter for the most part, and while there are segments out in the open your usually dodging a-helluvalot to avoid getting hit or it's a driving segment so Gears comparisons aren't coming from nowhere people are just comparing it to something similar and popular OP probably has knowledge of

Of course FoC has stealth segments and a god of war inspired Grimlock segment, so at least it adds a bit more variety.

edit: I mean if it's not supposed to be a cover based shooter why is there an option to switch which hand is holding your gun?
To put it that way makes basically every shooter a cover based shooter. Because taking cover from fire is a strategy to stay alive in any game with shooting elements.

As for the switching the view, yes it helps if you happen to take cover, but they also did it because people wanted to be able to have the view they wanted. Apparently, some people complained which shoulder it was over in the first game.

Then there's the multiplayer differences as well, making your own builds etc.

I'm glad if people use it as a positive way to explain the game but most have just said "It's a GoW clone, lame." and it's had a negative attachment to it.

But without saying what parts are "like" Gears and what aren't (which is what most seem to do), it seems like a lazy way to incorrectly inform someone of what the game is like. That'd be like if someone said The Witcher is like Diablo because you click on things to kill them, which yes, you click on enemies to attack them, but the games have a lot more differences.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Soulrender95 said:
Because switching your perspective of view allows you to fire from different angles. I wish more shooters would adopt that sort of switching-on-the-fly control scheme, to be honest.

OT: I can't speak for any of the shows, but War For/Fall of Cybertron are very solid games. Fall of has more variety on a level-to-level basis in the campaign, and the controls are generally tighter, but it also ends with blatant sequel-bait and plotholes ahoy.