Transgender in Dragon Age Inquisition and Steins;Gate.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Silvanus said:
Redryhno said:
I said HEAVILY for a reason.

Most of the differences you're talking about come from two categories, names and geography. Neither of which have ever been the most accurate in terms of fiction or needed to get the idea across.
They also have different histories and religions, which are primary factors in determining culture.

Redryhno said:
Also, again, differences here and you know it. How many gay people are there in the world? Now tell me how many people with brown hair there are in the world. The numbers are going to be heavy on the brown hair people if you obviously make it down to brown hair versus gayness. Both are arbitrary, but gayness is going to have less people in it. As such, it's easier for people to grumble about them and not get shit for it. I mean, that's normally how those arbitrary prejudices come about in the first place, you know that just as well as I do.
Well, no, I don't believe that prejudice always comes about as a result of small numbers; I'd say it often correlates, but that that's a pretty simplistic conclusion overall.

On a side-note, would you consider this a requirement for any and all fantasy? Am I allowed one, perhaps, in which I can enjoy the escapism and forget about this particular shitty aspect of real life?
And what are the histories and religions that gave them the know-how of this particular facet of life? I've been asking for some justification and all I've gotten back is that I just want there to be raging homophobes be the norm. Which is definitely not what I'm asking for.

Also, I said "normally" for a reason, you seem to have a habit of overlooking key words. And yeah, I know it's simplistic, but do you really want to talk about semantics?

And for your side-note. No, it's not a requirement for any and all fantasy, but Dragon Age has been trying to ape that "dark" fantasy backdrop for years(aka fantasy that mimics real world history, politics, and issues while building a fantasy world to set it in), which Origins and near the start of DA2 is the closest they've gotten to it. I don't/wouldn't question it all that much in Baldur's Gate(because Forgotten Realms even twenty years ago had a pretty detailed history and it being D&D, sex for adventurers is somewhat of an afterthought, especially when you're being stalked because you're Bhaalspawn), Elder Scrolls(because again, they've got a history to their world), WoT, SoT, SoIaF,even Origins, etc. I don't question it in so many fantasy series despite them having gay(spectrum) characters. So no, it's not something I expect of all fantasy.

However, I do expect that when they bring up characters and make it a central part of their character and arc that they face more problems than just a dad obsessed with grandkids or a lover scorned and so they leave them out to dry. I expect it when hate of what you look like is a-ok, but who you stick/let stick things in is not ok with no reasoning beyond "just 'cause". The prejudice of elves, dwarves, non-Andrastians/Qun members is understandable, because there's history to how it came to be, there's justification for it. There's justification for women largely being allowed the same stations as men(though this is something else I've found somewhat weird in that the nobility doesn't follow this world guideline mostly), because there's history behind that becoming the norm. There's justification and history for so many things that come up, so I expect there to be SOMETHING about the history of teh geyz in Thedas at the absolute least.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Redryhno said:
And what are the histories and religions that gave them the know-how of this particular facet of life? I've been asking for some justification and all I've gotten back is that I just want there to be raging homophobes be the norm. Which is definitely not what I'm asking for.
Well, that's the thing-- it's a characteristic that is entirely irrational. It would make sense to give a history on why it is there, but justifying why it isn't is rather silly. There's no reason for it to be, and that's reason enough. We don't need a historical/religious reason to explain why those in Tevinter don't dance around cauldrons. Irrational behaviours would need a reason for their inclusion, not their exclusion.

Redryhno said:
And for your side-note. No, it's not a requirement for any and all fantasy, but Dragon Age has been trying to ape that "dark" fantasy backdrop for years(aka fantasy that mimics real world history, politics, and issues while building a fantasy world to set it in), which Origins and near the start of DA2 is the closest they've gotten to it. I don't/wouldn't question it all that much in Baldur's Gate(because Forgotten Realms even twenty years ago had a pretty detailed history and it being D&D, sex for adventurers is somewhat of an afterthought, especially when you're being stalked because you're Bhaalspawn), Elder Scrolls(because again, they've got a history to their world), WoT, SoT, SoIaF,even Origins, etc. I don't question it in so many fantasy series despite them having gay(spectrum) characters. So no, it's not something I expect of all fantasy.

However, I do expect that when they bring up characters and make it a central part of their character and arc that they face more problems than just a dad obsessed with grandkids or a lover scorned and so they leave them out to dry. I expect it when hate of what you look like is a-ok, but who you stick/let stick things in is not ok with no reasoning beyond "just 'cause". The prejudice of elves, dwarves, non-Andrastians/Qun members is understandable, because there's history to how it came to be, there's justification for it. There's justification for women largely being allowed the same stations as men(though this is something else I've found somewhat weird in that the nobility doesn't follow this world guideline mostly), because there's history behind that becoming the norm. There's justification and history for so many things that come up, so I expect there to be SOMETHING about the history of teh geyz in Thedas at the absolute least.
Does that "dark" backdrop automatically involve homophobia? Why is it particularly strange for racism to exist without homophobia alongside? Just because they often go together in our world?

((Funnily enough, I'd be willing to bet that if they had included more backstory on homosexuality in Tevinter, a great number of people would be using that as ammunition to criticise the game for pandering to the "SJWs" by focusing on it)).

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Silvanus said:
Redryhno said:
Well, that's the thing-- it's a characteristic that is entirely irrational. It would make sense to give a history on why it is there, but justifying why it isn't is rather silly. There's no reason for it to be, and that's reason enough. We don't need a historical/religious reason to explain why those in Tevinter don't dance around cauldrons. Irrational behaviours would need a reason for their inclusion, not their exclusion.

Redryhno said:

Does that "dark" backdrop automatically involve homophobia? Why is it particularly strange for racism to exist without homophobia alongside? Just because they often go together in our world?

((Funnily enough, I'd be willing to bet that if they had included more backstory on homosexuality in Tevinter, a great number of people would be using that as ammunition to criticise the game for pandering to the "SJWs" by focusing on it)).
Dude, you gonna address me,my points, or even anything that's actually in my posts? Or are you gonna keep talking about "a great number of people"?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Redryhno said:
Dude, you gonna address me,my points, or even anything that's actually in my posts?
I directly addressed what you said. You asked what the "histories and religions that gave them the know-how of this particular facet of life" are, and I replied that irrational behaviours would require a reason for their inclusion, not their exclusion. That's a direct address.

Redryhno said:
Or are you gonna keep talking about "a great number of people"?
The last post was the first, and only, time I made that point.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Silvanus said:
Redryhno said:
Dude, you gonna address me,my points, or even anything that's actually in my posts?
I directly addressed what you said. You asked what the "histories and religions that gave them the know-how of this particular facet of life" are, and I replied that irrational behaviours would require a reason for their inclusion, not their exclusion. That's a direct address.

Redryhno said:
Or are you gonna keep talking about "a great number of people"?
The last post was the first, and only, time I made that point.
Pretty sure you've been more concerned with talking past me this entire time, but whatever, it's only been us talking for about a page, I think I'm just gonna let this thread die.