Transgendered Woman Beat Up In McDonald's; Employees Do Nothing

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
what happen is despicable. its not a hate crime thou, there is no such thing as a fucking hate crime. hate is a motive not a crime. they savagely beet her to near death out of ignorant hate. said ignorant hate is not a crime. savagely beating some one is.

Derek Westlund

Jan 30, 2011
first F*** your job you are human before you are an employee

it's your responsibility as a human to stop human on human violence

enough with the joke

the moral high ground is for those who step in and help even at the expense of their own safety or life
if you value your job over someone else's safety i'll keep that in mind if i ever wee you in trouble

and personally it's a chance to beat the life or stupidity out of an idiot if i end up near this situation even if i have to die trying or massacre a bunch of similar grouped people (interpret how you wish)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Kenko said:
Robot Overlord said:
Wait... I wouldn't have fucking helped if I was working there either... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be paid enough to get beaten up on the job
I dont think it was the whole inaction part tbh, he did record the event on his cellphone instead of calling the police ;)

But yeah people can'take the law into their own hands wich is why people usually dont do anything in fear of reprisals from the court later on.
Also this.

If you do get in a fight with somebody who intiated an attack against somebody else, it's still hard for the cops and the courts to figure out just who started what. Hell, even eye witnesses rarely get anything right.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
DaphneRose said:
I'm not so sure this is a hate crime, as one of the article states, but it is definitely a depressing and violent act that should have been stopped, not recorded.

I'm glad someone intervened. I think we're slowly becoming a society of spectators, who allow our morals to take the backseat, when it doesn't directly involve us. Acts of bravery like Vicki Thomas, I believe, should be emulated and stories like this should be shared.
They attacked the woman because she used the womans bathroom. Specifically they attacked her because she's a transsexual who used the womans bathroom. They attacked her based solely on her sexual identity, this is the very legal definition of a hate crime.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
tofulove said:
what happen is despicable. its not a hate crime thou, there is no such thing as a fucking hate crime. hate is a motive not a crime. they savagely beet her to near death out of ignorant hate. said ignorant hate is not a crime. savagely beating some one is.
The term hate crime is a legal term. Yes most crimes are act of hate, but the term "Hate Crime" has very specific legal meaning. It refers to a crime commuted against some body based on prejudices against there identity, be it sexual orientation, sexual identity, race, gender, or religion. As I said in a previous post, this is the very legal definition of a hate crime.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I'm kinda surprised there is so many people who would do nothing and let this kind of thing happen.

Shit, if I worked at McDonald's that's even more reason to step up. You get fired and go work at Burger King down the road or go for your guard card and be security.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
So this is former guy who got beat up by a bunch of girls?
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
That its pretty pathetic a former guy couldn't defend himself from a bunch of teenage girls...
You are incorrect; It's a girl that got beat up by a bunch of teenage girls. It's considered felony assault, and she was pretty heavily thrashed, and blind sided a few times.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
The guy who recorded it could have used it for evidence in court. Also, stepping into the middle of a fight puts you in danger, so you can't really blame people for not stepping in. Finally, this is not a matter of a 'spectator society.' Fights happened more often back in the day without interference from people or the law. Also, I don't think they would have killed the transvestite... I mean would they really be stupid enough to do that in broad daylight?

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Ellen of Kitten said:
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
That its pretty pathetic a former guy couldn't defend himself from a bunch of teenage girls...
You are incorrect; It's a girl that got beat up by a bunch of teenage girls. It's considered felony assault, and she was pretty heavily thrashed, and blind sided a few times.
No, you are incorrect. If you are born a guy, you are a guy.
End of conversation.
You're telling a transgender woman (me) that I'm not a woman. You know nothing of trans issues. I can suggest some resources if you'd like to become educated on the topic.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Ellen of Kitten said:
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
End of conversation.
And you have absolutely no idea about transgendered people and should probably know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.

Ontopic, I'm just disgusted at McDonald's for saying that employees aren't allowed to step into something like that. That's bullshit.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Ellen of Kitten said:
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
End of conversation.
End of conversation? I hardly think so. No, I get the feeling that this will be a long, drawn out affair, and it's not going to end well.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Ellen of Kitten said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
End of conversation.
You're telling a transgender woman (me) that I'm not a woman. You know nothing of trans issues. I can suggest some resources if you'd like to become educated on the topic.
The whole "I'm a woman trapped inside a man's body" is such bullshit.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
<spoiler=Long list of quotes>
Cowabungaa said:
But yes, it's disgusting that the employees just stood there. Sadly, that's how a large part of humanity is, it's almost hardwired in our brains to not get ourselves in the line of fire.
Appleshampoo said:
If you're getting paid minimum wage in a job you hate, would you step in to help someone? I wouldn't, because I know for a fact I'd be fired for it. It is NOT in your job description to act like security.
This has nothing to do with your job description or your wage, but with acting like a good fucking person. And if you'd get fired for being one, the manager deserves to get his own beating.
Nouw said:
It's a moral coin-flip but for me it's cold to value your job over someone's life. If you got fired for helping the victim of a beating, I'm sure that's not going to lower the chance of getting another job. Hell with your assumption of them being a kid, a job isn't half as a important if they were an independent adult. Once again, at the end of the day they chose their job over her.

I probably don't know half as much as you do about jobs and such but I'll be damned if there wasn't some wrong in what they did. I hope they didn't take advantage of being an employee or think they had a moral 'highground.' Sure they may have the right of being an employee but damn someone was getting beaten up to near-death.
Donnyp said:
It was probably a "Let me check with the lawyers of how liable i would be" and decided against it. If your gonna stand on the side lines and watch a beating you might as well be helping beat the person.
Newtonyd said:
Sorry, but I'm not sacrificing someone's well-being to keep some crappy minimum wage job. I'd step in. Especially since the assailants are comprised of an 18 year old woman and a 14 year old girl.
Vanguard_Ex said:
It's not about your damn job, that's the point. You don't just help somebody because you're paid to do so, you help somebody because that's what people do; help each other. Especially somebody who's getting their ass beat for being who they are. By the way, I don't get your first point...you wouldn't step in to help somebody on the count of your shitty job you hate, because you might get fired? Surely that's two birds with one stone?
Derek Westlund said:
first F*** your job you are human before you are an employee

it's your responsibility as a human to stop human on human violence

enough with the joke

the moral high ground is for those who step in and help even at the expense of their own safety or life
if you value your job over someone else's safety i'll keep that in mind if i ever wee you in trouble

and personally it's a chance to beat the life or stupidity out of an idiot if i end up near this situation even if i have to die trying or massacre a bunch of similar grouped people (interpret how you wish)
You people all realise that we have minimum wage jobs for a reason?
Namely for people desperate for the money. They step in they lose their jobs, looks like them and their family isn't going to be eating for a while.
Get another job you say? When the interviewer asks why you were fired and you answer with this all they hear will be "Blah blah blah, I broke company policy"

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
-Drifter- said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
End of conversation.
End of conversation? Hardly. I get the feeling this is going to be long, drawn out affair, and it's not going to end well.
Nope. the previous post just above this one has sealed it for him. 99.9% sure.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
DaphneRose said:
I'm not so sure this is a hate crime, as one of the article states, but it is definitely a depressing and violent act that should have been stopped, not recorded.

I'm glad someone intervened. I think we're slowly becoming a society of spectators, who allow our morals to take the backseat, when it doesn't directly involve us. Acts of bravery like Vicki Thomas, I believe, should be emulated and stories like this should be shared.

We're becoming spectators because we get sued for the good deeds we carry out.

Like the man who got sued for rescuing his carpool mate from a wrecked car, because she became paralyzed after.

Just saying.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AverageJoe said:
Risingblade said:
Yeah, pretty much.
...and your points are?
That apparently girls don't have fists or feet or knees.

I may not know much about the food serving industry, but when I go a fast food place - especially if it's a McDonald's - I expect whoever's in charge there to handle situations like this. The people who work there represent that establishment and if they just stand there and do nothing while a customer is being physically assaulted that should be a reason to get fired, not the other way around.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Although I'll agree the employee's weren't obligated by employment to help, and they're not Batman, I know, that's still pretty fucking awful to just do nothing while someone is being wailed on like that. I'm a tiny gal myself, but I've intervened on friends' behalf multiple times, not because I got paid to, but because I'm a fucking human being and I give a damn about others around me, TG or not.

Worse still, the 'that's not a woman...' commentary was somewhere just South of repulsive. As if that made two hills of crap difference to anyone with some degree of conscience what bits were between a persons legs when they're getting their ass kicked by a couple of jagoffs ... UGH!! The more I see this kind of garbage the more I'm fortifying my plans to move... Jeezus...

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
This doesn't surprise me, at so many jobs now they drill into your heads that you must never get involved in any situations like this.

I disagree personally, but that's that.

MacGuges

Jul 16, 2006
Cowabungaa said:
DaphneRose said:
I'm not so sure this is a hate crime
To paraphrase South Park; most crimes are hate crimes, so it's a silly thing to say anyway.
Not true. While most crimes are not motivated by love, we can make a distinction when a crime is clearly intended to intimidate a hated group. In other words, there's beating someone, and then there's beating someone to show the world how you hate a group you recognize them from. Any democracy has an interest in protecting their minorities. Distinguishing crimes committed with the intent to intimidate people from appearing as minorities helps to create a society where you can be weird, strange or unusual without feeling you need to conform to survive.

It's true we don't know if this crime was motivated by a hatred of transgendered people. Perhaps the only person present who hates them was that employee who said, "You do know that's not a woman." Who deserves a vicious beating? Was anyone else dissuaded from intervening due to the idea that the victim wasn't a genuine woman? Did it make no difference to the thugs who beat her so violently after their boyfriend had flirted with her that she appeared transgender? We don't need an explicit admission of hate from the assailants to be able to conclude that the assailants reacted more violently toward the girl because of her transgender identity.

I've heard that employers in the service industry discourage their employees from responding directly in violent situations, but usually the point is to avoid asking people to defend company resources with their lives rather than halting acts of conscience. People who depend on a job at McDonalds may be desperate indeed, but I hope people will remember that we are not owned by our employers. We still have lives that go on beyond our jobs. Just for people to believe that these McDonalds employees were motivated by keeping their jobs first demonstrates a distressing level of obedience in today's culture.

Remember that people become capable of greater evil when they believe they are not responsible for their actions; conversely, that we enable evil while we believe we are obliged to not to act.