Transgendered Woman Beat Up In McDonald's; Employees Do Nothing

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
I hope McDonald's doesn't let these employees get away with such inaction and such insensitive, offensive comments and I really praise Vicki Thomas for going to Chrissy's aid. You are a saint, Vicki, and I wish more people were like you.
I'd have to have more context for that quote to truly consider it "offensive." Insensitive is perhaps more accurate, as a great many people aren't sure what the appropriate custom is for addressing transgendered people. It's a lot like midgets and dwarves--the way they judge how you address them, or talk to them, or look at them is intensely personal, and it's hard not to seem "insensitive," when really you're just not informed.

It's commendable that Vicki stepped in, but that doesn't automatically make the employees villains for not stepping in. As a teacher, we're told the same thing about not breaking up fights. Some teachers still do, and people think it's nifty, but others follow the policy because it has very good reasons:

1. Any participant in that fight could turn around and sue you because you laid hands on them without proper cause. And if any of them was injured? You're their next payday, like it or not.

2. You never really know who started what. No matter how obvious it looks, you weren't there for the beginning, and you can't be 100% sure you're on the "right" side.

3. You never know who's carrying what weapons. They could all be armed, for all you know.

4. Your job is to call for help, observe, and report what you've seen. You're not trained for stopping fights, so save it for those that are so trained and so equipped.

Do you really think your basic kitchen worker at a McDonald's has received any kind of training in stopping physical altercations? Or that they make enough money to risk personal injury or lawsuit, should something go wrong (and, as they are untrained, it's pretty likely)?

(The guy that got fired for taping it, that's another matter. Especially if he hadn't called for help.)

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
Velocity Eleven said:
maybe you dont go outside to preach hatred of transpeople... but you certainly are online. And what you say can't be easilly ignored by everyone, I myself can just list you off as ignorant but many transpeople would look at your posts and they would bring all the negative suicidal feelings back... and yet you continue to do so which means I can only come to the conclusion that you are completely heartless

It's ironic, in the McDonalds incident you said a few times that "she should not have been beaten up" but you condone a behaivior that leads to depression, self-hatred and suicidal tendancies

in all serious though, if I had to make the choice between being trans or beating beaten up... I'd choose being beaten up without hesitation. I have been beaten up a few times and the pain of that doesn't even come close to the pain that I have to go through just by being trans
No, you're obviously right. I shouldn't be allowed to voice my opinion because it makes other people feel sad. I should absolutely be oppressed because it makes you want to kill yourself. You're right.

And if anything I say makes people want to kill themselves, they should do so and decrease the surplus population. (I love you Scrooge).

The pain of being trans? You mean something you chose to do? Don't even get into the psychological side of it until you can produce medial proof of the things you have claimed. I have yet to see any court rulings or widely agreed upon medical testing that shows that people can be simply born the wrong gender.

And for the love of god will you stop talking about suicide? For two years all I could think of was reasons to kill myself. I bought a gun and a single bullet for it too. I even flipped coins for three days to see if I should leave a note. You know what? I got over it. I accepted that I was 22 and that shit could only get better. I'd have to live with my issues for the rest of my life, and no one could help me. And I got over it.
People who don't have the will to see good in life and are only strong enough to take a cowards way out aren't worthy of life in the first place. And don't bother asking me who I am to say so, or what gives me the right to decree it. Because I've been there. That gives me the right. Because I overcame it.
1. I never said that I was suicidal
2. I chose to be trans? yeah, of course I do
3. What you say makes people sad? yeah, because you're effectively telling people they're worthless and dont deserve to live
4. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan.html

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Velocity Eleven said:
Kerra said:
A comment like that is something that can be utterly devestating for a transperson to hear, ive seen transgirls pushed to the brink of suicide simply by being called 'sir'.
It makes me upset, it really does... being called "sir" or "son" or "mr" or "he" or "him", no matter what my mood is at the time, causes me to feel depressed... its horrible, and yet we have "people" like this guy saying all these things

And these people are getting are temporary suspensions for a single day!? not good enough!

With a community that has a suicide rate of 31% and a suicide attempt rate of 50% (source: http://www.tglynnsplace.com/suicide.htm) (I'm glad I'm not one of those) LastBlasphemer's actions are only going to increase those numbers
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted on more than one occasion. It's a hard life for trans folk.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Ellen of Kitten said:
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted on more than one occasion. It's a hard life for trans folk.
It's a hard life for everyone. When you stop acting like you're special people will stop treating you differently.
That was totally out of left field, and absolutely uncalled for.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Ellen of Kitten said:
It's a hard life for everyone. When you stop acting like you're special people will stop treating you differently.
Ellen of Kitten said:
Let me expand on that; you have absolutely [strong]no idea[/strong] where [strong]I[/strong] am coming from when I'm talking about a very personal issue. You have no idea how I treat my trans status. You have only base assumptions to go off of, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't jump into a conversation you have no functional knowledge of. After seeing how little you know of the topic at hand, your [strong]assumptions[/strong] are an unwelcome addition.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Ellen of Kitten said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
Let me expand on that; you have absolutely [strong]no idea[/strong] where [strong]I[/strong] am coming from when I'm talking about a very personal issue. You have no idea how I treat my trans status. You have only base assumptions to go off of, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't jump into a conversation you have no functional knowledge of. After seeing how little you know of the topic at hand, your [strong]assumptions[/strong] are an unwelcome addition.
I spent 4 years being the only white kid in an all black school in gang central Great Lakes, Illinois. Afraid to go outside and having no friends because behind every corner was someone who wanted to bully and beat me. Knowing I can't fight back because they'll just come back the next day with friends, or worse. Knowing the teachers were legally required to do nothing lest gang related action be taken against them. A year after I moved away schools thought I was going to need to live in a group home because it had socially crippled me that bad. Stuff happens.

To quote you: "After seeing how little you know on the topic at hand, your assumptions are unwelcome". Nobody ever learned anything from ever minding their own business. Breed your high and mighty attitude elsewhere. You're prone to mistakes, just like me.
I don't know what you go through being trans. Just as you don't know the shit I dealt with racially. Life is hard for everyone, stop acting special.
My god, you just.. just don't listen do you? Look at my post where you decided to interject your assumptions onto my conversation with another.

Ellen of Kitten said:
Velocity Eleven said:
Kerra said:
A comment like that is something that can be utterly devestating for a transperson to hear, ive seen transgirls pushed to the brink of suicide simply by being called 'sir'.
It makes me upset, it really does... being called "sir" or "son" or "mr" or "he" or "him", no matter what my mood is at the time, causes me to feel depressed... its horrible, and yet we have "people" like this guy saying all these things

And these people are getting are temporary suspensions for a single day!? not good enough!

With a community that has a suicide rate of 31% and a suicide attempt rate of 50% (source: http://www.tglynnsplace.com/suicide.htm) (I'm glad I'm not one of those) LastBlasphemer's actions are only going to increase those numbers
From two sentences you've decided a number of assumptions, and taken a hostile position. STOP THAT. Just stop telling me to do something based on the [em]assumptions[/em] that you believe I act like I'm special.

For starters; I'm stealth. That means I don't go around in public declaring I'm trans. I pass 100%, and no one is the wiser. I'm a natural born woman as far as anyone is concerned. I don't go around claiming to be special. So STOP IT with your assertions that I act like I do.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Ellen of Kitten said:
For starters; I'm stealth. That means I don't go around in public declaring I'm trans. I pass 100%, and no one is the wiser. I'm a natural born woman as far as anyone is concerned. I don't go around claiming to be special. So STOP IT with your assertions that I act like I do.
I'm not asserting that you feel you're special because you may be trans. I'm asserting that the negative connotations you feel/receive are proclaimed as special. Being targeted as something, suicidal thoughts created by a world that doesn't understand you, and abhors you. That's what I'm claiming you shouldn't feel special for.
Which it's not special. You're a misfit in a world that hates you. Just like me, and just like everybody else.

Also: You're stealth? I'm support gunner myself.
I'm done talking to you.

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
Ellen of Kitten said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
I'm not asserting that you feel you're special because you may be trans. I'm asserting that the negative connotations you feel/receive are proclaimed as special. Being targeted as something, suicidal thoughts created by a world that doesn't understand you, and abhors you. That's what I'm claiming you shouldn't feel special for.
Which it's not special. You're a misfit in a world that hates you. Just like me, and just like everybody else.

Also: You're stealth? I'm support gunner myself.
I'm done talking to you.
so am I, you know what they say... "you can't win an argument with an ignorant person"

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Therumancer said:
Well, the idea of a melting pot culture is a touchy one in general because people tend to forget about the whole "melting" part and assimilating to become part of the mainstream. The rights of minorities who want the benefits of citizenship, but don't want to assimilate into the society is a big deal. It goes beyond things like transgender rights, and into issues with larger minority groups like demands for all important media and annoucements to be put into various languages instead of requring people to adapt by learning to speak the dominant language of the culture they are in.
Here's the thing: we don't live in anything resembling the ideal set by the 'melting pot' cultural theory. An analogy thrown around occasionally by my old history teacher was that America was closer to a TV dinner: everything's in the same overall group, but in its own separate compartments.

And even then, you're completely missing the point of the melting pot. The entire premise is based on new cultures being added to the pot and the contents changing as a result. It is not the cultures changing themselves and then jumping into the mixture, as you seem to think it is.

Therumancer said:
It's a tricky area in a general sense, because while people can make points about minorities becoming second class citizens who are just tolerated, the flip side is that by catering to minority groups you wind up turning the majority into second class citizens.
That's true...if we lived in a society of nothing but extremes. Do you really think that there's no ground between "treat minorities as second class citizens" and "enslave the majority to the whims of the minority groups"?

Therumancer said:
This is why I make the point about tolerance, nobody has brought genocide into this even as a concept. A more sane way of putting it is that we aren't going to arrest or exile someone for not fitting in.
Actually, you brought genocide into it. Let me quote you:
Therumancer said:
Right now your tolerated, nobody is going to tattoo a purple triangle on you and ship you off to a death camp, or call the church to have an inquisitor absolve you of your sins through torture before burning you at the stake.
Ah, sorry, I misspoke: you invoked genocide and religious persecution, a close cousin of genocide.

Therumancer said:
But that doesn't mean the rest of society should be expected to adapt to them or be uncomfortable.
The thing to understand is that in a lot of cases, it comes down to a situation where there is no way to make everyone involved comfortable with something. In such cases, the correct choice is to go with the lesser of two evils, which is simply put to work in favor of whichever side has more people and minimize the number of people who wind up having to make sacrifices or be uncomfortable.[/quote]
See, you keep talking about how minority groups shouldn't be given full rights if it makes any of the majority "uncomfortable." When has that ever been valid ground to deny any group rights? It certainly didn't hold up when George Wallace was trying to stop integration of southern schools, no matter how "uncomfortable" people were about having black people studying in the same building as their kids (perish the thought).

Therumancer said:
In practice however it's a lot less straightforward than simple matters of JUST looking at a minority group, of whatever sort, against the majority. One major concern is that there are TONS of differant minority groups, and they don't nessicarly get along with each other. In some cases you have situations where you see minority groups having their expression curved specifically to present conflict with other minority groups. An example of this would be say the banning of "ethnic" material in a school, not so much because of the "majority" of white students but because you don't want say the blacks and the Latinos going at it in the hallways when you have ethnic gangs of both sorts in the area. Some guy wearing a stylized "Malcolm X" hat running into a guy wearing a "Latin Pride" T-shirt can lead to a knife fight in some areas.
...good Christ. Is that what you think gang violence is about? That it's all a massive race war?

Therumancer said:
Of course the "evil white majority" gets it from both ends when they come in and institute a dress code banning all similar things, and people scream about being second class citizens, when really it's being done to cut down on the violence. The result of such dress code changes have been mixed depending on the location and exact situation.
...okay, let's start slow: a dress code implemented to stop gang violence isn't there to stop people from wearing clothes that remind people of their race. They have their skin color to do that...which you've apparently forgotten.

If a school district really has gang trouble, uniforms are designed to take away gang colors and emblems. Those are the things that cause problems. If kids were so driven to murder one another because they hated people for their race, the only way uniforms would stop that would be if they included masks and gloves.

Therumancer said:
The point I'm making here is in response to the point about so called "second class citizens" and perceived attitude that the majority shouldn't have the right to enforce any standards whatsoever. It's not a straightforward thing in a general sense. In most cases you wind up with people who will make arguements based on what they think of the specific group being dealt with. I tend to take one position, and remain consistant with it. While there are going to be exceptions to every rule, they tend to be few and far between. In my case there are groups I like and have sympathy for, but don't think should avoid having to take responsibility for what they do and how people perceive it. A good example of this would be the whole "punk" movement (having grown up in the 80s, it was largely gone before I seriously got old enough), I get the whole non-conformity thing, and can support people who want to dress and act that way on a lot of levels, on the other hand people who do that need to take responsibiluity for it, and you can't with a clear conscience FORCE people to have to accept them, or absolve them of responsibility from the reactions their appearance and attitudes elicit.
I see. You equate the GLBT movement with the "punk" style of the 80s. This whole 'gay' thing is just a passing fad among 'the youths,' and it'll blow over by the end of the decade, right? It's not like a fashion/music trend is any different than, say, a gay married couple wanting the same rights afforded to a heterosexual married couple.

Therumancer said:
At any rate, when it comes to aggravating and mitigating factors the basic gist of it is that if one person gets under another person's skin, "pushes their buttons" so to speak, the person's actions become less severe because the person they acted against contributed to bringing it upon themselves.

It's sort of like how if you insult someone and they punch you, the guy is going to get in trouble for punching you, but not as much trouble if they had just come and and did it out of the blue, or as part of say trying to beat you down and steal your money.
Blah, blah, blah. I'm not a dullard. I know the difference between aggravated assault and regular assault.

Therumancer said:
In such cases what the "buttons" happen to be is irrelevent. Even if the buttons are detestable or something you don't like, simply by pushing them your basically making the assault less severe.
That couldn't be further from the truth. It is very important what the aggravating factor is, because some are dramatically less reasonable than others. If a man beats another man for insulting him, that might be considered aggravated assault. If a man beats another man because the latter was black and appeared to be romantically involved with a white woman, that is not aggravated assault. It fits the dictionary definition of an 'aggravating' factor, but no court of law would commute a sentence because of it.

Therumancer said:
In this case, you might really hate people who don't like or are uncomfortable with transgendered people. However it's not an uncommon attitude. If someone who is obviously transgendered gets into it with someone like that, it's going to push buttons more severely than it would otherwise.
...really? You actually believe that's a viable defense? "Your honor, my client assaulted this person to the point of cerebral trauma, yes, but not before observing that she looked vaguely of masculine. The defense rests."

Therumancer said:
This is at the root of my point about responsibility among those who choose very contreversial forms of expression, no matter how they justify it. If someone approaches them and goes after them just for making a lifestyle choice, that's a hate crime. On the other hand if someone reacts to them from something they initiate, and the reaction is enflamed by their presentation, well that's the risks you take in choosing to go against the grain of society.
Here's the thing: being gay isn't a choice. Roy Cohn and any number of other self-hating gays are proof enough of that. Any alterations made to one's self as a result of being transgender are obviously choices, but at the very worst they're cosmetic, and at best they're surgeries meant to save a person from living their life in a state of unfulfillment and misery because of a fluke of nature.

Therumancer said:
I'm not making much in the way of moral judgements, just saying that this is the way things are. Largely because every arguement you can make in defense of a minority "just being that way" can be made about someone who reacts negatively to that group "just being that way" in the other direction. People might not LIKE that point, and want to take sides based on their personal beliefs, but inherantly taking sides causes even more problems.
Ah. So a gay male can expect to not be given the same rights as someone identical to him but heterosexual...and a violent bigot can expect to be given commuted sentences for hate crimes because of his arbitrary hatred. And you justify both cases because both are "just...that way."

Therumancer said:
Thus, in looking at situations like this impartially, it comes down to who actually initiated the incident. The transgendered person was not simply attacked out of the blue, it seems to be a matter of record that they had contact with a male patron, which caused the women with him to react violently. The violence is not inherantly excused, however it's apparently not entirely unprovoked either. Going by the reports, the person being a TG was apparently a factor to those involved, or at least witnessing the incident, it didn't lead
to the inititation of the incident, but apparently aggravated it and probably lead to it's escalation and contributed to the lack of sympathy.
Let me summarize: the victim of this crime had a momentary interaction with a man in the building. And because the victim had the audacity to talk to another human being and be transgender at the same time, she was brutally beaten.

Explain to me how this is any different than the murder of Emmett Till. He was fourteen years old, talked with a 21 year old white woman in the town of Money, Mississippi and might have flirted with her. Two local men then kidnapped, tortured, and murdered him, because he made the mistake of looking like he was flirting with a white woman while also being black.

Link, if you need it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

Therumancer said:
Sadly, by definition a society that is fair to everyone in an absolute sense really isn't possible unless you do something like genetically alter everyone within the society to be the same.
(facepalm) You know the Golden Rule? 'Treat others the way you want to be treated'? Here's a part of that I assume you didn't pick up on: it doesn't include an extra line reading, "...unless it's a (insert slur here)." There aren't exceptions to it, and there aren't supposed to be, and it was assumed that society would be just as diverse in the future as it was when the Golden Rule was first created.

Therumancer said:
You have to work with what is there. Overall someone's right to dislike other people and even hate them, is just as important as someone's right to express themselves. Hence my point about tolerance, and how who initiates a confrontation like this being important.
Okay...so? Harboring an arbitrary hatred for a group is something that law can't change. What law can do is forbid people from acting on said arbitrary hatred, which is the point of virtually any civil rights litigation.

Therumancer said:
Outside of this specific incident, in most places and situations simply bu there being a fight, both people involved are going to be held accountable and punished. Fighting in self defense, as opposed to trying to run away first in of itself makes someone liable.
...what? Jesus, it's like you're reading from a law book that was translated from English to Chinese, then back to English. Because according to what you just said, someone acting in self-defense will be charged by the law unless they tried to run away before acting.

A man who attacked a mugger who pulled a knife on his girlfriend? Fuck you, that's an assault charge. You should have run around the block first, then tried to stop the mugger. Maybe by then he'd have also gotten his knife stuck in the girlfriend's corpse, making him that much easier to subdue.

Therumancer said:
In many cases though where the situation is paticularly nasty, there are injuries and/or it's not going to be solved by simply seperating the parties and having them spend a night in a lock up, the issue of who said what, how the people were dressed, whether there were threats made, and of course who inititated first contact, and who threw the first blow can all be incidents.
Well. Didn't see that coming. Apparently you're reading from a twice-translated law book and a collection of failed defenses against rape allegations.

Therumancer said:
It doesn't apply everywhere but there can be a differance between contact and an attack in certain kinds of incidents. Such as if say a security professional initiates contact by say stepping between someone and an area they can't access (a doorway or access point for example) causing them to run into the security professional, or the holding up of an arm, or presenting a shoulder for similar purposes. This is to differentiate it in court if someone tries to claim that a physical intercession/impedement was a "first strike" and the guy who actually decided to throw a punch was "defending themselves". Of course that's an academic point and has little to do with this incident, and it's a distinction that doesn't nessicarly exist everywhere.
I'm not even entirely sure you're entirely sober at this point. You just told a bizarre hypothetical story about a security guard who was charged with assault because a man sprinted into him on his way to break into a restricted area. And you just spent the rest of the post referring to fictional laws and concepts that mean exactly the opposite of what you suggest they mean.

Actually, it's not even that: you present a fact that actively disproves what you're trying to say, and then proudly declare how it proved you right. Since you like hypotheticals so much, here's one: a scientist claims that humans can breathe under water, so he locks a man in a glass tank and fills it with water. The man subsequently drowns, in plain view, and the scientist turns proudly to the horrified onlookers and declares his hypothesis proven.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
stinkychops said:
I don't see why this ^ guy was probated.

If you're not going to allow perfectly reasonable debate from the other side of the argument you may as well lock the thread.
Presumably because he was railing against transsexuals for being transsexual, and that they deserve whatever inevitable psychoses come from feeling like you were born with the wrong body.

stinkychops said:
The thread covers a sensitive issue. People should expect to be offended. I'm offended all the time, usually by poorly made food, inane conversation or terrible music. It doesn't mean anyone needs to be punished, if we're to be mature. However I've seen many people question each-others sexualities and insecurities based off far less, and they received no visible punishment. I don't see why transvestites should view themselves as a group of people deserving of internet protection.
Erm...what now? A mod put him on probation. To my knowledge, he wasn't lobbied by transsexual activist groups. How did you misconstrue the probation into some action by transsexuals?

stinkychops said:
Everyone should be allowed critique. I don't see any purposeful attack.
I saw plenty. Already talked about them, so no need to go over them again.

stinkychops said:
Maybe I don't get it because I'm not transgendered (not a word according to spellcheck :S).
Works fine on Firefox. Ironically, the only thing in that sentence that isn't a dictionary word is "spellcheck."

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
stinkychops said:
Yes, and he provided reasoning as to why he felt it was okay to rail against them. You're not actually saying anything here.
He provided "reasoning" for it? Yeah, sure. Let's get some highlights from his stellar "reasoning."

Here's an assertion he makes:
It's not like a man who has gender reassignment will know what it means to be a woman, and vice versa.
And his "reasoning" for that:
Men will never be women. Men will never understand what it's like to be a woman. Men are told from birth they will make a great president some day. Women are told they'll make a great wife.
So far, his "reasoning" is based on dated gender stereotypes. Let's get another explanation. Maybe this one will be better:
Women have to deal with the fact that part of their biology is a joke men make, and even use as an insult. Women have to go through menopause. Gender reassignment will never give you any of that. You are not a woman.
Ah, but of course. It's vaginal bleeding and mood swings that define a woman.

So that one's a bust. Let's check another assertion he makes:
I have nothing against any of you personally. What I do have against you is claiming that you're a "Man born is a woman's body" and vice versa.
Hey, maybe he'll have better reasoning for this one. Let's look:
If that were true it would show up in DNA strands.
...riiiiiight. Why would it show up in DNA, again? Is there a secondary set of DNA that scientists can consult to confirm that everyone is born as they were supposed to be?
Maybe he has a further explanation:
Psychology has absolutely no place in the argument, because you could just as easily take pills and see doctors to have that part of you erased with pills.
Oh, yes. Brilliant. His argument is that he hates transsexuals because they don't pop pills until they stop being transsexual. If medical science had access to magical, surgically-precise medication, you'd think that they'd have been using it by now.

And let's not forget his wonderful "I once felt girly by then I was cured" anecdote. Not only is it completely inadmissible as evidence of anything, but it's just as laughable as the stories that people about how they used to be gay but were "cured" and thus think that all gay people must be delusional. In short, there's no evidence to it, no validity, and even if it were true, he's making the sweeping (and frankly, offensive) statement that because he once felt effeminate as a child and grew out of it, then all transsexuals are just immature.

stinkychops said:
You're right, what I should have said was: I don't see why transvestites should be viewed as a group of people deserving internet protection.
They're no less deserving of it than any other group. If Blasphemer had been shouting about how much he hates blacks and offered various pseudo-scientific explanations for why he did, he'd get his ass placed on probation for it.

stinkychops said:
Discussion isn't attacks, just because it upsets you.
I acknowledge the spirit of that statement while opposing how you're applying it. I don't need to be personally offended by a remark to recognize that it's an insult or an attack. And just because someone dresses up their bigotry as "discussion" doesn't magic away the actual words.

stinkychops said:
You were trying really hard with this one. Transgendered isn't a word in Google chrome spellcheck. This was quite clearly a pathetic attempt to try and 'show' me.
I was attempting to finish the post on a lighthearted note, considering you seemed reasonable enough. Apparently I was mistaken.

stinkychops said:
It's also not ironic.
You were talking about something not being acknowledge as a word by spellcheck. On my screen, every word in that sentence (including the word in question) registered as correct, except for the name of the service you were using to verify said words. That's about as ironic as a PETA member being savaged by a monkey he'd just released from a testing lab.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
stinkychops said:
I can see where he is coming from. His implication is that unless a person is born transgendered, then it is a mental condition. I would disagree with him about what constitutes preference and what constitutes disorder, but it would be arbitrary to an extent.
...right, but the problem with trying to identify if someone is "born transgendered" is the same as with virtually any other condition of the mind: the brain continues to develop for 2-3 decades after birth. That's why people can live perfectly normal childhoods and still turn out to be violently unbalanced. It isn't a physical abnormality that develops from the get-go.

stinkychops said:
If a person is born transgendered then it would be 'testable' (he uses DNA). Whether or not we have the scientific ability to do so, is not to my knowledge (I would question the ethics of it).
Questionable ethics, certainly. And no, we don't have the capability anyway. At this point, the closest thing we have to something loosely resembling it is a gene that might be related to homosexuality. And, obviously, that's not the same thing, hence all the "probably/maybe" terms.

stinkychops said:
I too disagree with his sentiment and don't listen to anecdotes. The issue is whether or not ignorance and holding an "offensive" view are worthy of a ban. I certainly can't put myself in the shoes of a transgendered person, but he wasn't harassing anyone, he wasn;t speaking rudely and he tried to make a considered argument.
Wait, what? Yes he was, and no he wasn't. He outright stated that transsexuals deserve to be miserable regardless of whether or not they undergo surgery. That's barely above the Tibetan belief that blind people committed some sort of affront to God in a previous life. It's saying "You are this way because you deserve it," which is offensive to anyone who isn't a genetic Ubermensch.

stinkychops said:
All arguments opposed to transgendered people will be, at least to some degree, offensive. All I am saying is that punishing people simply prevents people discussing and discrediting such views.
That's reaching a bit, isn't it? But even if it turns out to be true, doesn't that say something about the opposing side? If one side of an argument can't be made without offending everyone except that extreme camp, it's probably a sign that there's something wrong with that stance.

stinkychops" post="18.280780.11095734 said:
Had he been 'shouting', as you put it, about how much he hates Americans - he would recieve no punishment. Had he been complaining about heterosexuals in the same tone, he would recieve no punishment. Suggesting homophobes are homosexual? No punishment (- fair enough but the point holds). Both 'blacks' and transgendered people are taboo topics.
Possible, albeit hypothetical. It's a bit undermined by the fact that the examples you used are pretty advantageous groups to be a part of. It's the same reason why I laugh when someone tries to use "cracker" as an insult. "Aw, man. Why'd you have to go reminding me of my history of ruling the world and having money? Completely ruined my day."

Well considering I have only seen one post made by him in this thread, which no-one could discuss because it was suspended. I won't call him a bigot. Perhaps it was insulting and offensive, but as I've said. Is that worthy or reprimand?
Make that two posts. The other one was just a snide remark at something plucked from someone elses's post. That was a pretty solid indicator he wasn't here for a formal dialogue.

My apologies. I was projecting other posters onto you.
Meh, it happens. It certainly doesn't help that text doesn't have the same inflection that voices do.