Treasure Trove of Details Revealed for Total Recall Remake

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Treasure Trove of Details Revealed for Total Recall Remake

It's a new setting, new twists and a new leading man for the classic Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

Producer Neal Moritz, who has previously worked on movies like xXx and The Fast and the Furious has spilled a pretty sizable quantity of beans about the upcoming Total Recall [http://www.amazon.com/Total-Recall-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B00070FX5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294679950&sr=8-1] remake, including who is replacing Arnie.

Colin Farrel will play the part that Schwarzenegger played more than twenty years ago, that of Douglas Quaid, a man who is led to believe that he is nothing more than an average Joe. In the original movie, which is very loosely based on the Phillip K. Dick novella, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Quaid is a construction worker who dreamed of going to Mars.

Unable to afford the actual trip, he visits a company called "Rekall," which offers the next best thing: the memories of a tailor-made trip to the red planet. Unfortunately, the memory implantation procedure reveals that Quaid already has a ton of fake memories in his head, and that he is actually a secret agent called Hauser. This revelation leads him to Mars, and thrusts him into the middle of a conflict that has lasting repercussions for the whole planet.

The remake eschews the original movie's planet hopping however, staying closer to the book, and thus remaining on planet Earth. Moritz said that director Len Wiseman, whose previous work includes Underworld and Live Free or Die Hard, was building a very real world for the movie, one where overcrowded cities just kept building higher and higher. Moritz said that it wasn't as straightforward as just staying on Terra Firma though, and while he didn't elaborate on what that meant, it's not much of a stretch to imagine dreamscapes or mental landscapes making an appearance.

The production starts filming in May, and Moritz said that Sony is aiming to make this a big movie. It won't be appearing in 3D, however, as Moritz believes it would be "too much" for audiences. "I think for certain movies [3D is] great," he said. "And other movies it's just not right."

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/neal-moritz-interview-total-recall/69048/]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I hated Die Hard 4.0 with a passion, so I wasn't thrilled about that news.

Also about the "We're not doing it in 3d"... Watch it become 3d converted a few months before release. This could be another attempt for producers to do the whole "I'm up with what people like and one of you" acts that is common in the industry.

Total Recall is a terrific movie and PKD is a terrific writer, enough said.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
The premise sounds promising. The director is a definite toss-up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Cookies for not wanting to make this movie in 3D, and I hope it stays that way. 3D has been WAY overhyped in my opinion. Having seen multiple 3D films, I have yet to see one that really made me feel spending more money to see it in "3D" was worth it as it adding something to my experience seeing the film.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm interested in the fact that they want to stay closer to the short story but I still wonder why this is being made.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Great ideas here and I think Colin Farrell will likely fit better as the secret agent who doesn't know he's a secret agent than Arnold did. I'm quite looking forward to how this turns out.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Con Carne said:
The premise sounds promising. The director is a definite toss-up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Same here.

Hopefully it'll be at least okay.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Eh, the original was good, but it will be interesting to see the differences between the original '80s action flick and a modern incarnation of the same base plot.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
That's... a terrible idea. What we have here is a version of Total Recall with no Mars, no Schwarzenegger, no Cuato, and no chick with three tits (I presume that the lack of Mars also means the lack of mutants.) Why would you remake a movie with the intention of removing everything that made the movie good. I bet all the neat practical effects will be replaced with CGI too.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Well... it sounds like its gonna be a very different film... no mars for one...

But if you ask me, thats a good thing. If you really wanna see Total Recall on mars, just watch the original again. Dreamscapes/mental landscapes does sound very intriguing though (and a good use for 3D if you ask me). I never read the book so I won't know how the plot will be different, but if its as good and as nicely confusing as the original movie, i'll be pleased.

Oh, and they better put in a 3 titted woman... even if it is an hallucination or something.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
who has previously worked on movies like xXx and The Fast and the Furious
With pedigree like this, a garbage flick is practically a certainty! Woo hoo!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
PixelKing said:
Would "Cash In" be unfair?
Well if we are going to say that ALL movies, shows, albums, products and services are a "Cash In". The better description would be "Shitty Cash In".
Spacefly said:
Well... it sounds like its gonna be a very different film... no mars for one...

But if you ask me, thats a good thing. If you really wanna see Total Recall on mars, just watch the original again. Dreamscapes/mental landscapes does sound very intriguing though (and a good use for 3D if you ask me). I never read the book so I won't know how the plot will be different, but if its as good and as nicely confusing as the original movie, i'll be pleased.

Oh, and they better put in a 3 titted woman... even if it is an hallucination or something.
No three-titted women if they want to avoid an R rating (or whatever it is they use in america).

Iron Lightning said:
That's... a terrible idea. What we have here is a version of Total Recall with no Mars, no Schwarzenegger, no Cuato, and no chick with three tits (I presume that the lack of Mars also means the lack of mutants.) Why would you remake a movie with the intention of removing everything that made the movie good. I bet all the neat practical effects will be replaced with CGI too.
I would direct you to The Wickerman but no one should ever actually watch that shit.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I wouldn't count on this being a critical success.

Part of what made the original film was the ham & cheese acting, and I, for one, loved it. Also, I don't think I can picture a Total Recall film without either Arnie or a briefcase spouting "Get your ass to mars" on a loop for around two minutes.

Oh and johnny cabs. Gotta have those. Aaaaand Benny. After all, he's got five four kids to feed.