Treyarch Boss Claims Black Ops Problems Limited to Just a Few Players

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
It doesn't matter if it's "...limited to just a few players", nobody at all should be having trouble with the game.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I agree with them... How many people who signed the petition don't even own the game and just signed it because ACTIVISION OMG EVIL?

Besides, on the PC, the problems are usually PEBKAC errors. That means that the Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Computer.

I've played the game on my 1.5 year old laptop. It runs good, at 30fps. Not the best, but it's playable. No major issues.

Now I mostly play it on my new gaming PC. It runs great at full. And my PC didn't cost more than $1200.

I've played the game at home on a fairly good internet connection. But I've also played it on the University internet connection.

I also have a couple of friends with different computers, and they haven't had issues either.

This all makes me think that most of the people having issues on PC are people who bought a medium-range gaming PC 2 years ago and expect it to run CoDBlops at max. Not going to happen.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think he has it right. My copy of Black Ops works fine, as does every copy that my friends own. These are just some really vocal people that are screaming as loud as they can. It's like Tali in Mass Effect. Reading the message boards, you'd think she's the greatest thing in the entire universe, but she's not the most chosen romance option apparently.

Iridul

Feb 14, 2010
The game is clearly broken for quite a large number of people, regardless of whether the majority (this could be 51%, which would leave thousands and thousands broken) are OK. (even a significant majority could be 75% working 25% broken, which would still be thousands broken)

The "attitude" of the Treyarch statement is typical of something that I would expect to hear from a CEO trying to put out a positive message to shareholders who might be getting nervous, perhaps because they believe in the potential for negative publicity on this issue. This could potentially damage Treyarch's ability to do deals for work on future franchises.

I'm damn sure Treyarch do have a reasonable amount of resource focussed on fixing the QA issues, but frankly they shouldn't bother too hard. The game itself isn't as good as Modern Warfare 2 (the only advantage is dedicated server) and I'm sure that some of the games on the near horizon will take most of its audience before long, and Treyarch probably know this.

Freddyqaqualung

Nov 16, 2010
A room full of monkeys missing a portion of their brain does not equal a QA team. I put up with all the crap in WaW because I thought they would fix it and it was enjoyable at the time. Same with MW2. BlOps doesn't have ALL the problems of WaW at least, but the game is still buggy as hell. My main beef is that a lot of the problems that were present in COD4 are still there. COD4 was a great game at the time, the first like it in the series. But now it has been done to death and almost none of the problems have been addressed without creating another one. For example, in COD4 the nades were crazy strong. Throw them all the way across the map, take out half the enemy team within the first 5 seconds, easy. In MW2 the grenades sucked so much that you might as well be throwing those smoke bomb fireworks you can buy. Hit detection is still shoddy, and the game is horribly inconsistent a lot of the time. I was playing a wager match with my friend and I stab him literally at point-blank range, but since he was spinning in a circle while I did, my knife didn't do a thing. At which point he knifes me from the exact same range.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
I never bothered buying blackops, I knew it was going to be hacked within a week. Treyarch is full of it, hackers are at least every other game on MW2 so it must be worse on BlackOps. I'm never going back to any CoD, BF, MoH, AA, UT, FPS game again, too many hacking douchebags.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
This seems like a severe case of damage control, but is anyone buying it?
No

It is pretty hard for a couple thousand people to say "Black Ops is fucked" and for them to take a guy seriously after telling them it is just a few people.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
uppitycracker said:
I believe it. As stated in the article, that small percentage can still add up to a lot of players, but for the most part, servers are staying full with tons of people having no issues. the thing about the forums is, the vocal minority is going to be the people with issues, while the majority who are not experiencing issues have no reason to say a thing. As a result, it's gonna look like the issue is more widespread than it is.

But from day one, I have never had a single issue with the game. Given my older hardware, that's pretty amazing. (E8500, was running a 9800GT, now a 460 so it's a huge bottleneck, yet still getting 80+ FPS on ultra settings, Win7) But I do feel for those still having issues, I really can see the frustration they are going through.
I've got a I7 2600k cpu 2x gtx 480 in sli and 8gb 1600mhz ram and I still cant play that game without it lagging. And yes I've tried with using just one Gpu but the fps drops is still there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Canid117 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
This seems like a severe case of damage control, but is anyone buying it?
No

It is pretty hard for a couple thousand people to say "Black Ops is fucked" and for them to take a guy seriously after telling them it is just a few people.
Not sure.

There are STILL people who buy Sony's line about the PS2's Disc Read Errors and think that the 360's RROD aren't so much an architecture error as they are people not taking care of their stuff. I'm sure the same sort of people will buy that it's a few isolated glitches trumped up by liars and whiners.

After all, I've seen a ton of BLOPS posts that come down to the usual: I've never seen a glitch, I don't know what you're talking about. This persists with even the buggiest of games (Seen it for both BLOPS and FONV....).

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Tubez said:
uppitycracker said:
I believe it. As stated in the article, that small percentage can still add up to a lot of players, but for the most part, servers are staying full with tons of people having no issues. the thing about the forums is, the vocal minority is going to be the people with issues, while the majority who are not experiencing issues have no reason to say a thing. As a result, it's gonna look like the issue is more widespread than it is.

But from day one, I have never had a single issue with the game. Given my older hardware, that's pretty amazing. (E8500, was running a 9800GT, now a 460 so it's a huge bottleneck, yet still getting 80+ FPS on ultra settings, Win7) But I do feel for those still having issues, I really can see the frustration they are going through.
I've got a I7 2600k cpu 2x gtx 480 in sli and 8gb 1600mhz ram and I still cant play that game without it lagging. And yes I've tried with using just one Gpu but the fps drops is still there.
you try it on XP? i've read it tends to work wonders for those who have issues. i dunno, i run it fine on Win7 64 bit, so it's insanely strange how certain people get great performance and other shit with the same hardware (realize we don't have the same hardware, but it is something i've noticed)

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Tubez said:
uppitycracker said:

you try it on XP? i've read it tends to work wonders for those who have issues. i dunno, i run it fine on Win7 64 bit, so it's insanely strange how certain people get great performance and other shit with the same hardware (realize we don't have the same hardware, but it is something i've noticed)
Im using windows 7 64x ultimate