Treyarch Boss Claims Black Ops Problems Limited to Just a Few Players

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Treyarch Boss Claims Black Ops Problems Limited to Just a Few Players

According to the studio's top dog, Treyarch takes testing very seriously and has the biggest QA teams it has ever had.

Treyarch head Mark Lamia has downplayed the issues with Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Playstation-3/dp/B003JVCA9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297949189&sr=8-2] on the PS3 and PC, saying that any problems that players might have encountered were not representative of the experience that most people were having. He said that despite what forums and message boards might have you believe, the experience was equally good across all platforms.

Lamia said Treyarch had heavily invested in its own testing staff for Black Ops and now had the biggest QA teams it had ever had. He said that while Treyarch had had the full support of the Activision test teams, the studio had taken it upon itself to ensure that people had a great time with Black Ops, regardless of platform. He said that he knew for a fact that the vast majority of Black Ops players had experienced no problems at all, whether they were playing on the Xbox 360, the PS3 or the PC.

Treyarch wasn't just dismissing reports of bugs however, and Lamia described Treyarch's efforts to address players' problems as "aggressive." He said that when Treyarch became aware of complaints, it would often reach out to the player base and see it could replicate the problem. He felt that the game ran fine on every platform now, and while there were still "edge cases," Treyarch was doing all it could to deal with any lingering issues.

The problem with Lamia's comments is that "the vast majority" is a rather nebulous term, and that minority could still include a very large number of people. As an example, an online petition [http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/codbo/signatures] calling for a refund for people who bought Black Ops on the PS3 has reached nearly 18,000 signatures. This is a tiny portion of the total number of people who bought the game, but it's still enough to fill a small town.

It also doesn't help when Treyarch makes mistakes like the one it recently made [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107289-Oops-PS3-Black-Ops-Update-Adds-Xbox-Live-Message] with the 1.06 patch for Black Ops, which told PS3 users that they wouldn't be able to use Xbox Live Party Chat while playing the search and destroy mode. It's not the biggest mistake in the world, and it doesn't really prove anything other than whoever was in charge of that text slipped up, but it doesn't help present the image that Treyarch cares about each platform equally.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5761460/call-of-duty-creators-say-your-bugs-were-edge-cases]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Im glad it works for me, but it has got to suck to pay 60 bucks for a game that doesnt work.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Which stage is denial again?

At least they have been working on it, or at least it seems.

But a bunch of people I know have been having issues. Hell, the recent patch fixed the issues for 3 of them; but then 3 other people, who had no problems with the game before, started having massive issues.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
This is what it always comes down to..

People always focus on the negative sides of things.. Cause it is so much more easy to show anger than appreciation..

Except for New Vegas: That game was broken :p

SodaDew

Sep 28, 2009
My copy on the 360 has no scratches or any form of damage and it only load about 5 seconds then quits out on me saying its a unknown disk... if only the refund was with 360 too.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
The fact that the COD games are shit is limited to a few players? How unlikely.

Corpse XxX said:
This is what it always comes down to..

People always focus on the negative sides of things.. Cause it is so much more easy to show anger than appreciation..

Except for New Vegas: That game was broken :p
Well when you buy something and it works that's the expected outcome. Buying something that is inherently broken? That equation doesn't pan out.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Don't believe the forums, believe the people who are selling the product. That's like saying don't believe the doctors when they tell you drugs are bad for you, trust your drug dealer instead, because he knows what's best for you, and he has absolutely no reason to lie.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I had it for the duration of the SP campaign, so luckily I don't need patches anymore.

But it was laggy as hell(on PC), they clearly tried to do some dynamic pre-loading that failed miserably, MW2 on the other hand was smooth as silk all the way through so someone clearly messed up.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
A room full of opiated monkeys a Quality Assurance team does not make. And I'm siding with the people who are still having problems with the game.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
My main problem with all CoD games is their shitty net code.
Either turn player-hosting into an art form or go dedicated servers, you assholes!

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
] with the 1.06 patch for Black Ops, which told PS3 users that they wouldn't be able to use Xbox Live Party Chat while playing the search and destroy mode.
So PS3 users have Xbox live party chat now?
Wow.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Blops has been rendered unplayable for me since the last patch on the 360. Hits only seem to register when the game feels like it, regardless if I melee someone who's stuck in a corner twice or plug someone 2ft away in the balls with a shotgun.

The only time I can manage to get the game working is on a Sticks and Stones game with a full party of chums.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I believe it. As stated in the article, that small percentage can still add up to a lot of players, but for the most part, servers are staying full with tons of people having no issues. the thing about the forums is, the vocal minority is going to be the people with issues, while the majority who are not experiencing issues have no reason to say a thing. As a result, it's gonna look like the issue is more widespread than it is.

But from day one, I have never had a single issue with the game. Given my older hardware, that's pretty amazing. (E8500, was running a 9800GT, now a 460 so it's a huge bottleneck, yet still getting 80+ FPS on ultra settings, Win7) But I do feel for those still having issues, I really can see the frustration they are going through.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
LOL at this poor attempt to be a friend to the PS3 player. Treyarch, your porting team is shit, i had two copies of the game running side by side (360 & PS3) and the difference in quality is VERY noticable. We already know your team doesn't like the ps3 architecture from the leaked report from one of your casual devs. That same difference in quality is almost a non factor in Modern warfare 1&2 and that there is the difference between a company that BUILDS a solid reputation, and a company - like yourselves - who are riding on a reputation someone else created. So die Treyarch, Die DIE DIE!, and when you're gasping for air because Activision has it's **** so far down your throat ordering you to make Black Ops 3, i want you to bite down hard so they can die too!

:p

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
They can try to make it appear as they haven't screwed up. But when you boil it all right back down to, "Why did it happen?". Well they screwed up. This doesn't do much to bolster their image in my eyes.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
My friend swears Black Ops is far superior to Modern Warfare 2 when it comes to post-launch support.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
So he's basically saying it works fine for the majority so anyone still having trouble can just shut the fuck up?

Classy!