Treyarch Threatens to Ban Console Modders

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Treyarch Threatens to Ban Console Modders

Treyarch [http://www.callofduty.com/codww] is taking a hard line with console modders, warning that anyone caught playing with hacked or modded hardware faces a "complete ban" from their online services.

In a message posted at the World at War Headquarters [http://www.callofduty.com/intel/298], Treyarch wrote that its most recent title update addressed a number of issues caused by people using hacked systems that were "disrupting the online experience for everybody else." But they're not stopping there, apparently; the studio also laid out a stern warning to anyone considering playing the game with modded hardware.

"Treyarch has adopted a zero tolerance policy towards console hackers / modders. We are actively working with our console partners (Sony [http://www.microsoft.com]) to take action against all proven offenders, up to and including a complete ban from all of their online services," the message says. "Our number one priority is to protect the experience of our online gaming community (most of you reading this message), and the efforts of console hackers / modders directly target the community in a negative way."

The company also has some advice for anyone interested in messing with the game for "legitimate" purposes: Get the PC version. "We understand that a primary motivation in hacking / modding is to bring something 'fresh' or 'new' to the game," the message says. "That is why the PC platform has a full suite of Mapping / Modding tools, along with plenty of documentation to go along with it. If you are interested in the technical aspect of game modding, check out the PC version of CoD:WaW, where modding is legal, fully supported, and encouraged."

"For those of you that are currently modding or are considering modding your console, this message should serve as a warning," it continues. "For those of you looking to enjoy a safe and fun online experience, please be reassured by it - console hacking is illegal, and will not be tolerated."

The suggestion to switch to the PC version of the game is an interesting one and I think it's the first time I've never heard a developer say such a thing. There's no question that PC games are more hackable, so in the end I suppose it comes down to intent: Do you want to create something new and fun, or just jerk people around?

Whichever it is: You've been warned!

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Modding and hacking in custom games with friends is fun.
Modding and hacking for personal gain against other people is stupid incarnate.

Either way, Trayarch has the right idea punishing those idiot trolls online.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Sigh, Treyarch get so much flak, yet they actually give two shits about their consumers, even if IW recently patched the PS3 version.

...Or did they?

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Considering the number of times I've gone up against people who've proudly proclaimed that they use modded controllers in CoD4 I'm glad that Treyarch see this subject the same way I do.

It is somewhat annoying when you're playing the game fair and square but some twat half way across the globe with a 'fuck sportsmanship' mentality come on with the rapid fire, 1-hit kill machine gun/sniper rifle of doom and heat seeking bullets.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Would this soon apply to CoD:4 servers. I heard a lot of people complaining that theirs been a lot of Modding there.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
They're scared shitless that someone will put PC's maps in the consoles, and they'll lose the gold fountain of the map packs.

$10 for 4 measly maps, however good they are?. Please!.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
paketep said:
They're scared shitless that someone will put PC's maps in the consoles, and they'll lose the gold fountain of the map packs.

basically

i hate cheaters but modders really dont bug me

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
You, know, while Treyarch might not be the most innovative of developers, I'm starting to respect them for their dedication to their player base, even more so than IW. I mean, World at War has had several patches and four map packs in less than a year.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
edgeofblade said:
You don't threaten.

You ban. All this "you've been warned" crap pisses me off.
This. I came here to post exactly this. Well put edgeofblade.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
iblis666 said:
paketep said:

basically

You do realise they're one in the same, right?

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Zero tolerance seems like a good idea to me. I was playing WaW just a few minuets ago found a few hackers and they pissed me off a bit. What realy pissed me off was everyone eles screaming down their mics about them.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
They're within their rights to do this, it's a smart move, I support them in this.

However, to date, I have never owned or played a Call of Duty game. I'm a Battlefield *****! Or I was, until that steamy pile of crap "BF Heroes".
It wasn't good? awwwh i had expectations, and now you crushed them.

I support Treyarch, the less cheater, the better.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
You, know, while Treyarch might not be the most innovative of developers, I'm starting to respect them for their dedication to their player base, even more so than IW. I mean, W@W has had several patches and four map packs in less than a year.
Very true...in fact I was hoping Modern Warfare 2 was gonna be a DLC instead of a sequel...how about some love Infinity Ward?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Good god, Treyarch made a smart move!

This makes a great deal of sense given how much easier it is for PC players to dispose of jerk modders. Handing out bans on LIVE/PSN seems to be quite an involved process, one that's largely removed from the players as well. Retribution comes a lot faster for cheaters who piss off a server admin.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
iblis666 said:
paketep said:

basically

You do realise they're one in the same, right?
they are not the same thing and i cant believe you even said that

"A common example of one kind of modding is video game console mod chips, which can allow users to play homemade games, games legitimately purchased in other regions, or legal backup copies"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding#Video_game_consoles

true modding can be misused but there are many reasons beyond cheating to mod a system and though the dmca might not see it like i do which is why i dont use a modded system i say all the power to those that do