Treyarch Threatens to Ban Console Modders

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
iblis666 said:
Sparrow Tag said:
iblis666 said:
paketep said:
They're scared shitless that someone will put PC's maps in the consoles, and they'll lose the gold fountain of the map packs.

$10 for 4 measly maps, however good they are?. Please!.
basically

i hate cheaters but modders really dont bug me
You do realise they're one in the same, right?
they are not the same thing and i cant believe you even said that

"A common example of one kind of modding is video game console mod chips, which can allow users to play homemade games, games legitimately purchased in other regions, or legal backup copies"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding#Video_game_consoles

true modding can be misused but there are many reasons beyond cheating to mod a system and though the dmca might not see it like i do which is why i dont use a modded system i say all the power to those that do
You don't seem to understand me.

If someone uses a modded console, whilst someone else uses a normal console, they have the edge. I would say that's cheating.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
okay, i could see them banning someone from their own game but not from online entirely, is that even legal.

Serisoly, i dont mod but if I had the chance (and I do since my PS3 and computer are about 5 feet away, i just dont know how to do it) I'd do it. but if you mod in WaW then you get banned from the whole online experience, thats fucking bullshit.

they should just ban you from WaW not every other game YOU bought with YOUR own money.

this makes me dislike Treyarc even more, and thats why I dont even own WaW.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
What I took from this is that if you mod your controller you can be permanently banned from Xbox Live

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
okay, i could see them banning someone from their own game but not from online entirely, is that even legal.

Serisoly, i dont mod but if I had the chance (and I do since my PS3 and computer are about 5 feet away, i just dont know how to do it) I'd do it. but if you mod in WaW then you get banned from the whole online experience, thats fucking bullshit.

they should just ban you from WaW not every other game YOU bought with YOUR own money.

If they get banned from WaW they'll just go to COD 4 and use it there so I completely agree

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
iblis666 said:
Sparrow Tag said:
iblis666 said:
paketep said:
They're scared shitless that someone will put PC's maps in the consoles, and they'll lose the gold fountain of the map packs.

basically

they are not the same thing and i cant believe you even said that

"A common example of one kind of modding is video game console mod chips, which can allow users to play homemade games, games legitimately purchased in other regions, or legal backup copies"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding#Video_game_consoles

true modding can be misused but there are many reasons beyond cheating to mod a system and though the dmca might not see it like i do which is why i dont use a modded system i say all the power to those that do
You don't seem to understand me.

If someone uses a modded console, whilst someone else uses a normal console, they have the edge. I would say that's cheating.
using a aiming mod is cheating i dont think either of us would argue with that but using a inventory mod or a region mod does not truly effect the game play of anyone else it just makes it easier on the person with the console as such i cant recognize it as cheating but then again i guess i have the same view as the judge in Italy that threw out a Sony case saying it was up to owners of a console what they did with it.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Supreme Unleaded said:

Maybe you should try reading the PSN/XBL terms and conditions all players must agree to. It includes a section on modded consoles and that you can be banned for it. Treyarch themselves cannot issue bans, but all they have to do is report you to the representative company. Yes its perfectly legal and something I encourage.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
eoin90210 said:
Supreme Unleaded said:

If they get banned from WaW they'll just go to COD 4 and use it there so I completely agree
it doesnt matter, think about it, if you have a 360 and you pay $50 for online play, then you buy say 10 games and most are online based games where the singleplayer isnt all that good.

Now lets say you wanna have some fun and get some modding tools and just test a few small ones out.

Then bam, your banned from ever using online again. I would be pissed off to hell

if they ban you from THEIR game then its like, oh damn that sucks. But if they ban you from using online then you pretty much just waisted up to $300.

Now this is all hypothetical but it probably will happen, i like i said would probably try out some mods if i could but if I got banned from online I would never try. They are sucking the fun out of everything, this is why Treyarc should die in a hole.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
...does this count towards those that upgrade the PS3 HDD? I sure as hell hope not!

Because technically it is modding the console...

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
eoin90210 said:
Supreme Unleaded said:

it doesnt matter, think about it, if you have a 360 and you pay $50 for online play, then you buy say 10 games and most are online based games where the singleplayer isnt all that good.

Now lets say you wanna have some fun and get some modding tools and just test a few small ones out.

Then bam, your banned from ever using online again. I would be pissed off to hell

if they ban you from THEIR game then its like, oh damn that sucks. But if te amount of money they ban you from using online then you pretty much just waisted up to $300.

Now this is all hypothetical but it probably will happen, i like i said would probably try out some mods if i could but if I got banned from online I would never try. They are sucking the fun out of everything, this is why Treyarc should die in a hole.
That may make it fun for you but it does for nobody else and why should treyarch die for making sure that good players are good for skill and not for the amount of money your willing to spend on a controller and you just proved that Treyarchs point is right "like i said would probably try out some mods if i could but if I got banned from online I would never try" it worked as a deterrent so well done Treyarch

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
You, know, while Treyarch might not be the most innovative of developers, I'm starting to respect them for their dedication to their player base, even more so than IW. I mean, World at War has had several patches and four map packs in less than a year.
Definitely. The one thing I don't like is that it seems like they rush the map packs a bit. 3 Map Packs in three months, all of which introduced new glitches they had to patch later on. I wouldn't mind waiting a bit for better quality products.

I don't have a problem with modding (or even glitching) in a private game with friends (where any points earned are null and no innocents are harmed), but in a public game, it's unacceptable and extremely rude.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
iblis666 said:
paketep said:

basically

On consoles perhaps. On PC, modders are rightly respected as community members adding new content to games, vastly enriching the value of a product not only for consumers but also for developers and publishers who no doubt benefit from the increased awareness and marketability for a game that a well-supported mod community brings.

(This is why Oblivion still sells, for example. And why the release of the modding tools for Fallout 3 were so highly anticipated.)

On PC, cheaters are instead called "hackers." Therefore there's no stigma attached to the term "modding" since cheaters don't have to resort to modding anything to cheat, they just use hacks.

Amusingly, Treyarch is encouraging more console players to switch to PC, where modders are loved and appreciated by all.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Everyone knows that having so much as the capability to cheat makes you guilty of it. Really modding a console isn't cheating, yes it can give you to the tools to do so but it doesn't mean that everyone with a modded console will do it.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
I don't have a modded controller, but I can shoot damn quick and have even been accused of cheating a few times hope i don't get banned, although they do say about proof god knows how they can get it