Tribes: Ascend Open Beta Begins Friday

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tribes: Ascend Open Beta Begins Friday

The Tribes: Ascend open beta goes live on February 24.

Tribes: Ascend is a revival of the classic online multiplayer shooter Tribes [http://www.amazon.com/Tribes-Starsiege-ultimate-first-person-warfare-Pc/dp/B000GNSZNK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329938736&sr=8-3], being put together by the gang at Hi-Rez Studios. It was announced about a year ago, morphed into a free-to-play PC exclusive and was then pushed back into 2012, it being 2011 at the time. But now, finally, it's ready to show a little skin by way of an open beta that begins in just a couple of days.

"Over 300,000 players participated in the closed beta and the game has improved greatly based on community feedback," said Hi-Rez COO Todd Harris. "We have expanded capacity in North America, Europe, and Australia and added new local servers to support growing communities in Brazil and Asia."

A major patch will lead into the open beta, adding a new Arena Deathmatch mode with two maps, new CTF and Team Deathmatch maps, new Soldier unlockables, new default suits for the Doombringer and Brute and of course a whole pile of bug fixes and tweaks. And in another spot of good news, Hi-Rez said there will be no players wipes - all progress and unlocks will be preserved in the open beta.

No firm date for a full launch has been set, but Tribes: Ascend is currently expected to go live later this year. To learn more or get in on the action, check out tribesascend.com [http://tribesascend.com].

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
VGW! I can't wait to have a lot of newbies that I can hopefully airshot with Spinfusors. Projectile inheritance is still fucked, but newbies are newbies.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I didn't liked the game in it's closed beta, I don't know, I don't liked the weapons at all or the fact that I needed to fly at breack-neck speeds the whole time to even get a chance of surviving for at least 30 seconds.

It's just not my type of game, that's all. Blacklight Retribution and Firefall on the other hand...

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I didn't liked the game in it's closed beta, I don't know, I don't liked the weapons at all or the fact that I needed to fly at breack-neck speeds the whole time to even get a chance of surviving for at least 30 seconds.

It's just not my type of game, that's all. Blacklight Retribution and Firefall on the other hand...
thats cause its a skill shooter, undependent in levels, perks, n just twitch firing. it involves twitch firing, aiming and maneuvering.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Huh, and I was just about to integrate myself into the Facebook hive mind, and like their facebook page to get into the closed beta. I guess I don't have to now!

Man I'm gonna suck at this game.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Make me gain exp faster than at a snails pace, even with double exp, and maybe I'll actually buy stuff when this goes live.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
draythefingerless said:
SupahGamuh said:

thats cause its a skill shooter, undependent in levels, perks, n just twitch firing. it involves twitch firing, aiming and maneuvering.
I know it's twitch based, I love twitch based shooters, I used to spend too much time playing Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament, heck, I still play them from time to time, spending a lot of time playing Quake Live instead of Quake 3, but I just don't like the kind of "twitch based" gameplay of Tribes: Ascend.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
draythefingerless said:
SupahGamuh said:

I know it's twitch based, I love twitch based shooters, I used to spend too much time playing Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament, heck, I still play them from time to time, spending a lot of time playing Quake Live instead of Quake 3, but I just don't like the kind of "twitch based" gameplay of Tribes: Ascend.
Im sorry i didnt put it into perspective. Tribes is a Aiming and Maneuvering game first, and twitch last. In fact most of your shots need to be thought out in that game, and you really need to get accostumed to the games mechanics. and its more important having jetpack fuel than speed in the game really. its harder to hit you when youre flying, but ive shot up many guys running down a road in the map. that tutorial they serve you up is really nice for newcomers, and learning what each class does. of course if you find the maneuvering part hard to grasp or its just not your thing, then the game is gonna be hard to enjoy for yu. you need to move in that game, even if just a little.

the game is however, undeniably fresh and good looking and a much needed variety to the competitive FPS arena.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Fantastic news. Got into the closed beta only last week, haven't been playing the last couple of days thanks to Battlefield 3. But an increase in players (I'm in Australia, the largest Rabbit game I played was three players), plus some more maps may just drag me back. It is a lot of fun.