Trigun - Love and Peace!

Hayden_Russell

New member
Aug 11, 2015
41
0
0
Trigun - Love and Peace!

Everyone's favorite gunslinging anime classic swept the 90s by storm, but how does it hold up by today's standards?

Read Full Article
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,175
2,179
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
 

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
1,201
0
0
I still watch this anime at least once a year, probably more. Same with a few others.

I was a bit confused by your mentioning of the voice actors though..
It's a debate on it's own but you should probably mention that you watched a dubbed version and not the original. ,)
 

loa

New member
Jan 28, 2012
1,716
0
0
When I first watched it I was disappointed that it didn't more closely follow the manga series which was a lot more surreal and gory but after checking back to it, it just devolved into the same japano-christian wanky bollocks we keep seeing in every final fantasy ever so cutting it short was probably the best it ever could've been.
 

bificommander

New member
Apr 19, 2010
434
0
0
What I appreciated about Trigun that we had a hero who wouldn't kill, and where this actually mattered. It wasn't a last-minute throw in to placate the sensors or bring down the age rating. It was integral to the plot and character. And the fact that Vash was willing to humiliate and hurt himself to prevent hurting others just makes him more badass.

To see how to do this plot wrong, watch Black Cat. After an interesting start, it turned into a Trigun-ripoff after episode 7, except getting the above point all wrong. The protagonist's decision not to kill anymore has no consequence whatsoever. He knocks enemies out with the same effortless ease he used to kill them with. And if they end up dying anyway, he doesn't really give a shit as long as he didn't murder them. And not killing an enemy never bites him in the ass later. It was impressive to see how they could copy the hero, his revolver, his obsessive-stalker enemy and his gang of inexplicably superpowered henchmen, yet they missed the one thing that made Trigun work.
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
9,909
0
0
A somewhat "important" note about Trigun is that it, like "Lost Universe" (a personal favorite) were done by the same team as "The Slayers" and a lot of the characters are functionally the same right down to the artwork even if they play different roles. There are even a few jokes that mostly make sense if your familiar with "The Slayers" I believe also some of the cosmology also comes back to the central universal truths of The Slayers. If you ever wondered what the schtick with the little girl named "Lina" showing up with Vash for some "lulz" at the beginning of one of the episodes was all about that's it. The two insurance adjusters are also Princess Amelia and Sylphiel (with a hair color change) from The Slayers, Vash himself is Gourrey with his hair up. As far as the Gung Ho Guns go, well, that gets into a few more spoilers but if you watch the first three or four seasons of "The Slayers" you'll notice a few analogies there as well, along with a possible explanation as to why they (cosmically speaking) are important.

It's not necessary to enjoy Trigun as a series, but as someone (who now feels very, very, very old) who watched these alongside each other at one time your missing a subtle level to the entire thing.

Of the two multi-versal Slayers spin offs (by the same team) I actually liked "Lost Universe" better for some reason, but I seem to be alone since it seems very few people even remember that one.
 

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
618
0
0
When I first saw Trigun when I was around 15, I was put off to some extent by Vash's pacifism. At the time, I would have enjoyed it a lot more if his character indiscriminately blew people away; I just wanted to see action and violence. Now, I at least appreciate the narrative qualities - especially how Knives wishes to "punish" Vash and does so not by inflicting direct violence on him but making him watch others die. It's very poignant - particularly when it comes down to Vash and Legato.
 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
I love Trigun. Just the whole pacifist nature of the world's greatest gunslinger is a pretty awesome concept. Love the concept, the story, the characters... Wish it didn't end though. I wanted just a bit more resolution.
 

Anomynous 167

New member
May 6, 2008
404
0
0
Isn't the fact that Vash the Stampede is the main character a major spoiler? There is no way that goofball could possibly be the Human Typhoon, Milly said so herself.
 

Moises Weintraub

New member
Jul 16, 2013
13
0
0
Thank you! Since I asked for Trigun last time, I want to see if I can suggest something else. Could you review Serial Experiments Lain?
 

Trucken

New member
Jan 26, 2009
707
0
0
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
 

Cold Shiny

New member
May 10, 2015
297
0
0
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
I too, watched Grenadier, when I was younger and only cared about one thing, and I think you can figure out what it was.

It never occured to me that she was supposed to be like a female Vash, but yeah, not very much depth as anime goes lol.
 

the December King

Member
Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
1,580
1
3
I could have sworn that Vash broke a guy's neck in like an early episode. But I watched it so long ago... I could be wrong.

Man that Grenadier clip was over the top. Some of Trigun was too, just... I dunno. I think I'll re watch Trigun this week.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,175
2,179
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
Trigun was full of idealistic bullshit also. The plotline does kinda get sidlines in the anime, it was done before the manga finished. She still seems more skilled than vash was, then again its been years since I watched either and I was never huge on Trigun.
 

Trucken

New member
Jan 26, 2009
707
0
0
Worgen said:
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
Trigun was full of idealistic bullshit also. The plotline does kinda get sidlines in the anime, it was done before the manga finished. She still seems more skilled than vash was, then again its been years since I watched either and I was never huge on Trigun.
I won't argue about Trigun, I haven't seen it in 10 years and there's a good possibility that I'll despise it now. I can only say that I hated Grenadier. I know, I watched all 12 episodes, so to it's credit it did manage to keep me interested enough to want to see how it ended. But when it was over I was just angry. Not pissed off or mad, just angry that the show never took off or did anything interesting.

The only interesting thing it did was the storyline about the empress putting a bounty on her head. I was interested in that, why would she do that against her former student that still followed her ways? It was interesting, it was intriguing, I wanted to know. Then, of course, it wasn't the empress, just an imposter. That got off without any form of punishment in the end 'cause she had seen the error of her ways. And I know, the show was basically about showing forgiveness and mercy, but come the fuck on. At least give her a bitchslap or something.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,175
2,179
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
Trigun was full of idealistic bullshit also. The plotline does kinda get sidlines in the anime, it was done before the manga finished. She still seems more skilled than vash was, then again its been years since I watched either and I was never huge on Trigun.
I won't argue about Trigun, I haven't seen it in 10 years and there's a good possibility that I'll despise it now. I can only say that I hated Grenadier. I know, I watched all 12 episodes, so to it's credit it did manage to keep me interested enough to want to see how it ended. But when it was over I was just angry. Not pissed off or mad, just angry that the show never took off or did anything interesting.

The only interesting thing it did was the storyline about the empress putting a bounty on her head. I was interested in that, why would she do that against her former student that still followed her ways? It was interesting, it was intriguing, I wanted to know. Then, of course, it wasn't the empress, just an imposter. That got off without any form of punishment in the end 'cause she had seen the error of her ways. And I know, the show was basically about showing forgiveness and mercy, but come the fuck on. At least give her a bitchslap or something.
I remember liking it but then again I watched it with friends while drinking years ago. You didn't like the sword guy giving the big bad a hug tackle off a building?
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
4,828
0
0
Trigun always felt like a cheap version of Rurouni Kenshin. I never really cared for it. It helps that, in Rurouni Kenshin, we got to see what kenshin was like before the war. His stone cold killer persona really contrasted his normal behavior, emphasizing how much he had changed.

The one aspect that really separated Trigun was the ending.
Vash decides it's okay to kill in order to save people, and that pacifism has it limits. It's okay to enact acts of violence if its for the well being of others.

I'm not sure if I agree with this or not, but its interesting to see how two shows can share the same premise and come to seperate conclusions.
 

Trucken

New member
Jan 26, 2009
707
0
0
Worgen said:
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
Trigun was full of idealistic bullshit also. The plotline does kinda get sidlines in the anime, it was done before the manga finished. She still seems more skilled than vash was, then again its been years since I watched either and I was never huge on Trigun.
I won't argue about Trigun, I haven't seen it in 10 years and there's a good possibility that I'll despise it now. I can only say that I hated Grenadier. I know, I watched all 12 episodes, so to it's credit it did manage to keep me interested enough to want to see how it ended. But when it was over I was just angry. Not pissed off or mad, just angry that the show never took off or did anything interesting.

The only interesting thing it did was the storyline about the empress putting a bounty on her head. I was interested in that, why would she do that against her former student that still followed her ways? It was interesting, it was intriguing, I wanted to know. Then, of course, it wasn't the empress, just an imposter. That got off without any form of punishment in the end 'cause she had seen the error of her ways. And I know, the show was basically about showing forgiveness and mercy, but come the fuck on. At least give her a bitchslap or something.
I remember liking it but then again I watched it with friends while drinking years ago. You didn't like the sword guy giving the big bad a hug tackle off a building?
Like and like... it happened, they fell through the glass, the big bad seemingly died afterwards when his weapon was destroyed. It wasn't something that made me go "how cool" or anything like that. It was just something that happened and I had no real reaction to it.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,175
2,179
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
Trucken said:
Worgen said:
I liked Grenadier more than Trigun. The lead in it really seemed like she could achieve world piece better than Vash could. Plus she was a bit more willing to make an oopsie with her guns.

They would both be totally deaf after this.
I actually watched Grenadier thanks to this comment. It really feels like we we're watching different shows. I thought it was total crap. I didn't believe in her ability to create peace for one second, there wasn't much to it besides fan service, humor directed straight at kids, and a fuckload of talking about idealistic bullshit. Also! The only interesting thing about it, the one thing that actually made me curious and want to watch it all the way through, was a plotline that could set up a very interesting ending but instead we're told "oh sorry! It's not like that, it's a switcheroo! Sure got ya, didn't we?"

I can't recommend Grenadier to anyone. Fuck Grenadier. It's 12 episodes, but it's not worth it. Watch something good, like Gungrave. But skip the first episode.
Trigun was full of idealistic bullshit also. The plotline does kinda get sidlines in the anime, it was done before the manga finished. She still seems more skilled than vash was, then again its been years since I watched either and I was never huge on Trigun.
I won't argue about Trigun, I haven't seen it in 10 years and there's a good possibility that I'll despise it now. I can only say that I hated Grenadier. I know, I watched all 12 episodes, so to it's credit it did manage to keep me interested enough to want to see how it ended. But when it was over I was just angry. Not pissed off or mad, just angry that the show never took off or did anything interesting.

The only interesting thing it did was the storyline about the empress putting a bounty on her head. I was interested in that, why would she do that against her former student that still followed her ways? It was interesting, it was intriguing, I wanted to know. Then, of course, it wasn't the empress, just an imposter. That got off without any form of punishment in the end 'cause she had seen the error of her ways. And I know, the show was basically about showing forgiveness and mercy, but come the fuck on. At least give her a bitchslap or something.
I remember liking it but then again I watched it with friends while drinking years ago. You didn't like the sword guy giving the big bad a hug tackle off a building?
Like and like... it happened, they fell through the glass, the big bad seemingly died afterwards when his weapon was destroyed. It wasn't something that made me go "how cool" or anything like that. It was just something that happened and I had no real reaction to it.
Yeah, he was so bad at pacifism that his first attempt tackled a big bad off a building.