Trolls, griefers and players who need to leave the game

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I have played many a game of StarCraft 2 where players were bad mannered an this doesn't affect how I enjoy the game, but when someone on your team actively attempts to lose and attack all your stuff it destroys the entire purpose of a competitive game.

In your friend's Survival Minecraft server when there is that one retard who comes on and kills you twice, destroys part of the team house and abuses commands to spawn diamond armour everywhere it just ruins your night.

Sadly, I know one of the few people who is like this, he is a friend of a friend and while I do need to chill a little bit, I feel that that level of game destruction is just not okay.

What experience do you escapists have in people who actively attempt to destroy your ingame experience?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
You won't believe how awful some people are in All Pick in Dota.
You'd think that Single Draft would have all the shitty players because they're experimenting with all the heroes. But no, the occasional good player is in SD and EVERYONE AWFUL EVER goes in All Pick.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
EvE online is pretty much all about actively ruining other peoples' experiences. Between trade hubs being absolutely full of scammers to gate camps in low-sec, yeah. That game just isn't very friendly.

Not that they need to leave the game or anything. I mean, that *is* the game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ehh, I just don't like people who are assholes really. Except when they're *that* kind of rager and everything coming out of their mouth is comedy gold.

Like this Lee Sin in my last LoL game who first called me "boring" for killing him twice because Lee Sin does not counter Talon as badly as you'd think. (oh no, you revealed me. This totally ruins my damage output, whatever shall I- *melts* Nvm lol) then he went on about how having Fiora and Talon on the same team was the worst thing ever...

"You may as well have picked jungle Teemo"

Then he said something about cancer and went back to stacking as many lifesteal items as humanly possible. I just said "jungle Teemo OP" in end game chat after we won.

Sometimes you're just suddenly reminded that there are sometimes egotistical twelve year olds on your team who never can admit fault when they 1v5. Then they blame whoever was closest to them at the time.

Fun fact: Randoms are actually a dead gopher lying face down on a keyboard

One thing I really hate is the one other non feeding person on your team going AFK because "can't carry this team, AFK gg" two good people can actually carry a game y'know. Me and my duo partner proved it yesterday.

Jayce and Talon instakill all the enemy teams.

"Go for Caitlyn"

2 seconds later

"What Caitlyn?"

Shadow Assault OP, nerf pls.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
LoL players and their 'call order'. Here's how it works: you call a lane, you get that lane. Problem is the LoL champ select is about as stable as the relationship between the gaming community and microsoft at current time of writing, henceforth not everyone gets in game at the same time.

Further more, call order locks out people who actually know how to play their lanes from playing their lanes. At this point if I don't get the lane I called I just lock in my favorite champ of the hour and say 'not support'.

Also, LOL ranked.

And no I didn't say 'League of Legends' ranked.

Love,
The person who got 3 straight intentional feeders, 4 leavers and asked riot for more chances/ a reset on their ranked career and was basically told to screw off.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
These kinds of people are why I stopped farming up Saurian Bones in Guild Wars, with leechers. They're there to increase my drop rate, I'm there to increase their Asura reputation.

3/5 times the leechers would have that one asshole that zones back into town JUST as they see a Black Dye or a gold item drop from monsters. It's indescribably infuriating when this happens often. So to avoid that, I only do that farm with friends.

Although I haven't had a good enough internet to play Guild Wars for 2 and a half years, now. Although my point's no less kaput. :p Those people suck and need to leave us alone.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Angelblaze said:
LoL players and their 'call order'. Here's how it works: you call a lane, you get that lane. Problem is the LoL champ select is about as stable as the relationship between the gaming community and microsoft at current time of writing, henceforth not everyone gets in game at the same time.

Further more, call order locks out people who actually know how to play their lanes from playing their lanes. At this point if I don't get the lane I called I just lock in my favorite champ of the hour and say 'not support'.

Also, LOL ranked.

Love,
The person who got 3 straight intentional feeders, 4 leavers and asked riot for more chances/ a reset on their ranked career and was basically told to screw off.
[sub][sub]Oh shit, you're *that* guy[/sub][/sub]

Dude, you totally need to carry harder. Buy the biggest back you can and just strap your entire team to it. I assume you're talking about Blind Normals? I'm into Normal Draft at the moment actually since it throws call order bullshit out the window.

It's more fun since it's where all the Ranked players go when they just cannot be arsed. Normal Blind is sort of weird like that... Never have I heard "ah well, it's just a normal" in Blind. It's brought up in every other game in Draft.

You can always duo if you find a partner who doesn't suck. Lowers the random count by 1 so that's usually worth it, unless it's like my one partner who actually IS that intentionally feeding guy occasionally... For FUCK'S SAKE DAVE! YOU CANNOT PLAY VAYNE! STOP TRYING TO TELL US YOU CAN!"

I play on EU West by the way, summoner name Young Detective (most obscure Persona 4 reference ever) and I totes don't suck ever. Add me if you want, the pool of potential duo partners must grow!

[sub][sub]Shameless self advertisement gooooooooooooo[/sub][/sub]

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I've never got griefed or anything like that, but then I don't play online games much. However, my friend's 10 year old daughter got griefed the other day on a public Minecraft server. He utterly ruined her entire plot of land or whatever they're called on that server. They didn't have screenshots to prove anything though, but he's been put on probation. Not to mention she has a RL friend that constantly pushes her into lava etc when they play Minecraft together, not caring that she gets upset =/

Pisses me off, I tell you. Trolls and the like are simply bullies IMO, acting out their frustrations on others.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Is it bad that I'm one of those griefers? In L4D2 during normal difficulty games I would make an effort to fuck over my friends in the funniest ways possible because otherwise it would be extremely boring.

And awhile ago me and a friend of mine purposely made games to grief randoms in normal difficulty games. Every time it had hilarious results. For us, anyway.

I wouldn't grief in games like Minecraft where someone put however many hours into building a thing, because that's complete bullshit, but in games like L4D where, if you get screwed by a teammate, you don't lose hours of work, so I see no harm in having a little fun.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Angelblaze said:

Also, LOL ranked.

Love,
[sub][sub]Oh shit, you're *that* guy[/sub][/sub]

Dude, you totally need to carry harder. Buy the biggest back you can and just strap your entire team to it. I assume you're talking about Blind Normals? I'm into Normal Draft at the moment actually since it throws call order bullshit out the window.

It's more fun since it's where all the Ranked players go when they just cannot be arsed. Normal Blind is sort of weird like that... Never have I heard "ah well, it's just a normal" in Blind. It's brought up in every other game in Draft.

You can always duo if you find a partner who doesn't suck. Lowers the random count by 1 so that's usually worth it, unless it's like my one partner who actually IS that intentionally feeding guy occasionally... For FUCK'S SAKE DAVE! YOU CANNOT PLAY VAYNE! STOP TRYING TO TELL US YOU CAN!"

I play on EU West by the way, summoner name Young Detective (most obscure Persona 4 reference ever) and I totes don't suck ever. Add me if you want, the pool of potential duo partners must grow!

[sub][sub]Shameless self advertisement gooooooooooooo[/sub][/sub]
I do carry hard...until that guy who stole my mid claims he's lagging and leaves after giving up 0-4. I can carry, I just can't DESTROY everything.
My best carries are Lux and Leblanc though....I got silver last season with Lux.

And I think I only played like 20-40 games in ranked and never touched it afterwards for that whole season.

And sorry, I'm on Na English. Tenshinmon.

ILU.

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
Off topic, I'd like to get some clarification on the difference between a troll and a griefer. The reason is that I got into an argument with some a hole and called him a troll, he said I was an idiot and didn't know the definition of a troll. I then proceeded to quote the wiki and urban dictionary definition of a troll and he said that's the definition of a griefer. I proceeded to call him a ignorant fool for thinking his definition is correct while the internets definition of a term created on the internet was wrong and then it just spiraled downward from there.

On topic- Ya it seems like there are a ton of people who basically play online games with the soul intention of just ruining the fun for everyone. It kinda pisses me off that the gaming community has been overrun with such low lifes.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I recently played a game of Dota where Lifestealer was on the other team and tried to report us for ganking...his kd was something ridiculous like 0/10 and he was very mad.

Also, people who disconnect from a game just because one other person leaves or if they're losing. They need to leave the game permanently...

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I only griefed once - waaaaaaaaay the fuck back when the first Diablo was a thing. I'd gotten ahold of BoBaFeTT's character editor and I'd given myself implausibly powerful items and weapons. I'd join games or Battle.net parties and try and gank pretty much everyone. That lasted about two days.

Then, lo and behold, on my third day of settling in to PK more pubbers, I get ganked by *another* modded Warrior who'd apparently been designed as an anti-PK.

I deserved it. Seeing all that gold and all my ill-gotten ears snapped me out of it. From then, I've only ever cheated in any game in single player. I never grief, and I've joined the ranks of the ordinary folks who are left scratching their heads when some idiot fucks up their constructed Epic Hoover Dam Replica of Badassitude.

I don't get it anymore. "LOL, I destroyed some anon's hard work! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. LOL, here's another one down, ROFLMAO. LOL, I pushed this guy down a cliff. Damn, I'm so awesome at this game."

I do know that Minecraft is a sandbox title, but isn't there *some* emphasis on cooperation going on? If so, why fuck it up? It just seems terribly petty to me.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
You won't believe how awful some people are in All Pick in Dota.
You'd think that Single Draft would have all the shitty players because they're experimenting with all the heroes. But no, the occasional good player is in SD and EVERYONE AWFUL EVER goes in All Pick.
When I played DotA (have since moved onto Smite) I always played Single draft for how fun the game mode was, because everyone got random heroes and there was no real way to guarantee team composition all the srs bsnss players (i.e "you're making me look bad on my livestream") didn't play it and looked down on it.

I learnt the game in single draft and stuck around for how silly it got; you wanna try a level 1 Roshan to see what happens? They'll try a level 1 Roshan with you. etc. Playing badly because you got a hero you didn't know? S'okay, no-one else knows their heroes either.

I loved how, aside from a few glaring exceptions, people were in the game mode to learn and have fun blowing off some steam not to win/rage/pubstomp. Then came the community made hero build guides viewable in game and everyone serious'd up. Gone were my fun games with amusing banter in the chat, they'd been replaced by bullying, raging, etc. It wasn't even directed at me, by this point I was an okay player, but it still made the game incredibly unpleasant.

So I tried Smite after seeing TB's WTF is of it and saw the nicer community and some of the fun game modes and was sold, body and soul, and haven't looked back.

More OT: What is it about MOBA games that attracts unpleasantness? People try to pass it off by saying it's because the game heavily depends on teamwork and so players get more frustrated with their team but that's bullshit because there are several heavily team dependant games on the market at the moment that don't have toxic communities. The next excuse is that the player is just "passionate about the game", so you're saying that the guy playing nicely and being good mannered just doesn't care as much about the game? Bullshit.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
More OT: What is it about MOBA games that attracts unpleasantness? People try to pass it off by saying it's because the game heavily depends on teamwork and so players get more frustrated with their team but that's bullshit because there are several heavily team dependant games on the market at the moment that don't have toxic communities. The next excuse is that the player is just "passionate about the game", so you're saying that the guy playing nicely and being good mannered just doesn't care as much about the game? Bullshit.
Extra Credits had a great episode on this topic, see it here.
I saw it too, people accusing others when they themselves play pretty bad.

I don't get why people care about they K/D ratio. I mean, if you're still winning it's not a problem if your still going to win the round for you even if you don't get ALL TEH KILLZ.

I myself don't shout and make an ass because I don't see the point. I play games to help me relax, not to dump shit on my teammates/opponents.
It doesn't help and is not making the game an enjoyable one.
Though I'm one of those players that commends others pretty regularly. Even my opponents, if they are better skilled, I will usually acknowledge them as better then myself. It makes the match more enjoyable for everyone.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Most the time stuff like that is preventable, if its not I suggest playing something else.

On another note this thread has me a little annoyed because it reminds me of idiots on Dota. The moment somebody plays one bad game, whether it be their first time or just an off day, people start bitching about it and reporting them. I always have to point out that if its that important they shouldn't play public games and that being bad or new is not a reportable offense. No matter how much they may want it to be one.
So far TF2 and Dota have been a horrible introduction to PC gaming communities and I hope not all games are like them. The occasional whiny screecher on Xbox has nothing on these playerbases.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Angelblaze said:
Story of my life right here. I hate winning lane and losing game. Really, though, losses just kinda happen. It's that ONE douchebag that I just can't stand, though. You know the one, he plays Hecarim, somehow fails every gank he attempts, blames everyone else, then calls you racist slurs when you tell him to stop lowering team morale. Fucking hate that guy.

Aug 19, 2010
Some multiplayer servers on BattleFront 2 (most notably german ones, go figure) are really hostile. Not even just to bad players, they grind away on everyone.