Tron 3 May Still Be in the Works, Actor Says

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Tron 3 May Still Be in the Works, Actor Says

It had been rumored that any work on Tron 3 had stopped, but actor Garrett Hedlund says there may still be hope.

You remember Tron: Legacy, right? The 2010 film brought back lightcycles and the Grid, and had an enemy with a Clu. Granted, the film was 28 years after the original, but, hey Jeff Bridges was back inside a computer again.

Fans had hoped that Tron 3 was going to be made, and there were rumors surfaced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140077-Tron-3-Greenlit-Begins-Filming-This-Year] that the project was nixed. However, actor Garrett Hedlund, who played Bridges' son in Legacy, said there is still a chance for another film.

"I haven't been told it's totally dead," Hedlund told comicbook.com [http://comicbook.com/2015/09/24/tron-3-not-totally-dead-says-garrett-hedlund/]. "Ever since we did Legacy, we knew that to have another story follow it up, it had to be concrete and exciting. Disney needed to have the right story to go forward. I think it was going to introduce some things that were as exciting as Legacy was and then some, though."

Hedlund said that a Tron 3 could very well do what Legacy did for the original film. "Who knows, maybe ... it'll be 30 years, and I'll have my young Flynn CGI face, who knows?" he said. "But they could do it anytime from now, and I would of course jump back in. Something like that could be quite fun, though!"

If you like Hedlund outside of Tron, he will be starring as a young Captain Hook in the upcoming movie Pan, coming October 9.

Source: comicbook.com [http://comicbook.com/2015/09/24/tron-3-not-totally-dead-says-garrett-hedlund/]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm more interested on the continuation of Tron: Uprising, I could care less about the movies.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
And I'll put my vote in for a Tron 3.0 videogame! =D Tron 2.0 was fantastic; needs a sequel.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
No, dont you fucking play with my heart strings again Disney, leave it dead or get it back in production this maybe shit is grating.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
DeepReaver said:
No, dont you fucking play with my heart strings again Disney, leave it dead or get it back in production this maybe shit is grating.
I vote .. leave it dead.

Look Tron was good but not super great. Tron legacy was serviceable but meh. Tron was just one of those films that really doesn't do well beyond the original. Like Ghostbusters or Critters or etc.

That said the best sequel to Tron was Tron 2.0 that game was toight!

Problem is Hollywood has got sequel fever.. everything has to be a goddamned trilogy these days.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Man, I hope it doesn't take until 2038 for Tron 3 to come out. Legacy's end left so many questions (except in a good way, not in a Prometheus way).

I was really bummed when I heard it got nixed right before filming was going to start. With the way Hollywood is treating their art (and I use that term loosely these days), a new Tron is just about the only thing that might being me back to a theater.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"Hedlund said that a Tron 3 could very well do what Legacy did for the original film"

and that would be what? ...Ruin the franchise ?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
Man, I hope it doesn't take until 2038 for Tron 3 to come out. Legacy's end left so many questions (except in a good way, not in a Prometheus way).

I was really bummed when I heard it got nixed right before filming was going to start. With the way Hollywood is treating their art (and I use that term loosely these days), a new Tron is just about the only thing that might being me back to a theater.
Same, I don't know what it is, but there's something about these massive time gaps that are very appealing to me.
Personally, I'd go for just ten, double-digits at the least.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
John Keefer said:
"Who knows, maybe ... it'll be 30 years, and I'll have my young Flynn CGI face, who knows?"
For some reason this appeals to me, release a Tron movie every 30 years and bring back the old cast with CG faces. I think it would be amusing to see.

WarpedMind

Nov 8, 2014
Rad Party God said:
I'm more interested on the continuation of Tron: Uprising, I could care less about the movies.
220% this.

Tron: Legacy was practically the very definition of forgettable celluloid guff, aside from some cool special effect pieces and a neat soundtrack there was hardly a reason for the movie to exist.

Now Tron: Uprising, there was something special.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Tron 2.0 was a better sequel to Tron than Legacy was if you ask me. So if 3 ends up being dead I won't grief over it.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
John Keefer said:
Hedlund said that a Tron 3 could very well do what Legacy did for the original film.
So what he's saying is, if TRON 3 is ever made, we can expect another devastatingly boring, awfully predictable, shittily written and unforgivingly uninspired movie where the only remotely entertaining character is killed off after 15 minutes of screentime so we can focus even more on an unlikable twat with daddy issues?

No thank you. I was stupid for even thinking that Legacy would be a good movie instead of the excrutiatingly awful clichéstorm it turned out to be.

Seriously. TRON: Legacy, I'll never forgive you for being such a huge letdown.

Apr 5, 2008
Don't care. I wouldn't pay money to see a third after the God awful second instalment. The aesthetic and sounds were great, but the movie was dreadful and a massive disservice to the original.

Rad Party God said:
I could care less about the movies.
You could? How much less could you care?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Y'know, I'm going to stir up the hornet's nest, and say it - I liked Tron: Legacy more than Tron. However, only just - both were "okay" in my book. IMO, Tron 1 has more ambitious concepts, but more flawed execution, whereas Tron: Legacy aimed lower, but did a better job of being a servicable action movie with subtext lurking in the background. To be honest, I've never been that enamored with the series - I never thought the original needed a sequel, and while Legacy left things a bit more open, I don't think it's crying out for one either.

And, er, now I'll wait to be de-rezzed. :)