Tropical Skyrim Mod Replaces Snow With Sand

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tropical Skyrim Mod Replaces Snow With Sand

Ever wanted Skyrim to look more like Far Cry? An incredibly detailed fan modification does just that, swapping out Skyrim's frozen landscape for a tropical paradise.

Skyrim had a distinctly mountainous theme to it. A large amount of locations in the game featured snowy mountains, frozen tundras and some generally cold and bleak landscapes and dungeons. Tropical Skyrim is an incredibly detailed fan modification that transforms the lands of Skyrim into a beautiful tropical paradise.

For instance, the Falkreath Hold region has been transformed into a big rainforest, the vast tundras have become deserts, and all the other holds been given a tropical makeover, with tropical plants, new rock textures, more bloom and brighter lighting. It's a much brighter and happier place than vanilla Skyrim. It's a huge overhaul of pretty much every outdoor feature in the game.

Checking out the video above shows that the mod also includes a huge collection of new tropical-themed sound effects, as well as some new models (you can see a parrot fly past at one point). It really makes you proud of the dedication and ingenuity of the PC modding community. Skyrim was released almost a year and a half ago, but modders are keeping it alive by providing a steady stream of new content, tweaks, and updates, and are sure to do so for years to come (as evidenced by the fact that people still make Oblivion mods).

You can download the mod from the removed the level cap. [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33017]

Source: Skyrim Nexus [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33017]

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Not really fitting the themes of skyrim, but would make for a great elsweyr mod resource. The "desert" would also work for a Hammerfall mod.

All considered its a pretty cool looking mod.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
At 1:50 it totally reminds me of Uka Uka's prison.

Also, it looks nice, but the seems really show. And we just had Far Cry 3 aka Skyrim with guns. Seems kind of useless, but beautiful.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
"Like Farcry, with swords!" - IGN

I can see it now.

Really nice looking mod. However, I just feel even worse about them changing Cyrodil into generic fantasy Europe now. It does make me excited to see what the next entry in the series could look like though if they go for one of the Southern regions.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Awesome, makes another play through worth doing. Wish they would allow mods on the xbox/ps versions for download as well.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Ugh. I just finished modding Skyrim as well. WELP BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.
I'm not actually sure I'll try this out. It'd be really interesting to see, but that's just it. I think it'd be ore interesting than actually enjoyable. I like Skyrim as it is and there'd be a -lot- of issues with speech now. Talking about the harsh winds, snow and ice would be a little silly given the tropical area Skyrim has become.

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
I want to say this is the best mod ever. But honestly there are so many amazing mods for the Elder Scrolls\Fallout series that basically turn the games into perfect, beautiful masterpieces... Lets just say that the moding community are a bunch of geniuses with way to much time on their hands.

It shows how amazing games could look like if devolopers had infinite time and money to work on their games.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, Skyrim was a good game but the setting they chose is one of the blandest possible in Nature next to going strait to arctic tundra. It really needed some more set pieces that "popped" from the grayish terrain, and I was really expecting at least a few brightly colored outdoor places at the Mage Town via magic (Something like the LED under lit trees they have in some places.)

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
There was a similar mod that introduced Elsweyr to Oblivion. I sort of wish they'd done that instead of recoloring the main landmass, if only because I prefer thematic/narrative consistency.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Looks very cool. Very Far Cry/Just Cause-ish.
Though all those guards wearing that heavy armor in the humid air must be murder.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
So what would the city "Winterhold" be renamed to? Sunnyhold? Summerhold?

Don't get me wrong, it looks gorgeous, but Sand and tropical weather really isn't fitting for Skyrim.

Aug 1, 2010
Holy fuck that's gorgeous.

Although I think we're going to need a new mod that adds heat exhaustion what with all those big furry outfits everyone wears...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Damn someone put a lot of work into this, if this sort of package came as DLC they would probably want 5 grand for it.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Couldn't this guy do it earlier with TES4?
Because Cyrodiil is TROPICAL BIOME DAMMIT!!!

(Yes, I'm still pissed at this :mad: )

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
At least now all the sleeveless, short sleeved, and bare chested armor in the game won't seem as out of place.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Did I ever tell you, the definition, of a Thu'um?
Now I want a mod that puts dragons in Far Cry.
But DVS BSTrD, there are dragons in Fary Cry 3! Komodo Drag...

Flying dragons you smart-ass.
...oh.

OT: I personally prefer snow and tundra over tropical. But probably because I prefer to be cold in real life rather than hot. This does look visually impressive though.