Trouble with PS3 controllers.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I haven't had much luck with PS3 controllers. I'm on my third one, and this one and the previous one have suddenly stopped working, and I've had to either unplug the controller and plug it back in, or use the paper clip trick to get them to work. And my current controller keeps saying "The battery for your controller is low", even though the charger is always plugged in.

Do I just have bad luck, or are PS3 controllers just not that well-made?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
PS3 controllers just not that well-made?
The second option. Dual Shock 3 Controllers only last 10 years once they're out of the box. No matter how careful or clean you are with them, the controllers break in a decade. Sony was cheap with their materials, and it shows. It's why I don't regret never getting a PS3. Most games I wanted on PS3, either showed up on PS4, or other gaming consoles. Ironically, it's the third party/after market controllers that last longer than the official Sony controller.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The second option. Dual Shock 3 Controllers only last 10 years once they're out of the box. No matter how careful or clean you are with them, the controllers break in a decade. Sony was cheap with their materials, and it shows. It's why I don't regret never getting a PS3. Most games I wanted on PS3, either showed up on PS4, or other gaming consoles. Ironically, it's the third party/after market controllers that last longer than the official Sony controller.
I got my current and previous PS3 controllers off of Amazon, so they're probably over a decade old.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I got my PS3 Slim 14 years ago this month and still use the original controller. Of course, I didn’t play on it nearly as much since I got my PS4 six years ago, but I guess it just depends on how much you use them. My DS4 controller is the only one that had any issues, and it was stick drift.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got my PS3 Slim 14 years ago this month and still use the original controller. Of course, I didn’t play on it nearly as much since I got my PS4 six years ago, but I guess it just depends on how much you use them. My DS4 controller is the only one that had any issues, and it was stick drift.
The PS5 controllers have stick drift as well. I'm already facing a problem with the refurbished controller I bought from gamestop. Unfortunately, I didn't put a warranty on it, cuz I was already paying enough as it was for the console. I never dropped it once, and it's already facing issues. The control that came with my console still working fine. What I'm probably going to have to do is go to a different place and trade in a controller for some money or, for one that hopefully works.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I went through like 4-5 of em as a fighting game player, the Dpad would always give out in some way. Funnily enough, the sixaxis pads that early ps3s used to come with before they made the ds3 had a way better dpad. You could instantly feel it too, the dpad had more space to travel and was softer and more malleable. It made a big difference in doing fighting game motions with high precision and speed.

Eventually, I just ended up being unable to find new sixaxis pads, so I had to bite the bullet and get used to a ds3, but due to its higher hardness and inflexibility those lasted me way less than the 6ish years my first sixaxis did.

Thankfully the ps4 and 5 pads are softer, and I ended up going only through 3 pads during ps4's lifetime. Here's hoping ps5 is better.

But hey, the pads don't need to be softened and broken down some first before you can play fighting games on them like the ds3 did at least. That first time where I opened a brand new pad and was instantly able to do combos still feels unreal.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The PS5 controllers have stick drift as well. I'm already facing a problem with the refurbished controller I bought from gamestop. Unfortunately, I didn't put a warranty on it, cuz I was already paying enough as it was for the console. I never dropped it once, and it's already facing issues. The control that came with my console still working fine. What I'm probably going to have to do is go to a different place and trade in a controller for some money or, for one that hopefully works.
Apparently there’s a newer version that’s supposed to help, but not sure which yours is.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I got my current and previous PS3 controllers off of Amazon, so they're probably over a decade old.
If you plan on buying a PS3 controller on Amazon or such, keep in mind most of the new ones being sold as supposedly official Sony controller are actually fakes. Telltale sign is the asking price. Real ones will go for as much or likely more as they used to retail back in the PS3 era. The fake ones will work for the most part tho, but are shoddier quality. Also tend to not have working Sixaxis.

Reactions: bluegate

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
OK, my PS3 controller battery is at 2 bars, even though it's always plugged in.

Also, I did the paperclip trick for my PS3 controller, and it works great now.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Alright, just called my local game store. They said they think they replace PS3 controller batteries, but their tech is away until after the 25th.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
No wait, I can just buy a battery off Amazon and replace it myself, which would probably be cheaper anyway.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The good news: My PS3 controller battery works. The bad news, the buttons don't feel right and keep performing actions even when I don't press them.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
OK, I bought a PS3 controller about a month ago because my old one stopped working, and 2 weeks after getting it, the battery was dying. Me and my mom ordered a new PS3 controller battery off of Amazon and put it in ourselves, and it's been a week, and it's already down to 2 bars.

I found out the controller ONLY charges when the PS3 console is on.

Do you ever feel like the PS3 was kind of not a very well-designed console?