Troubled MMO Hellgate: London Gets Free-To-Play Resurrection

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Sure it's freE to play, but it there going to be European servers?! Or will I have to play on the American realms

-M

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
I couldn't play that game because the framerate was horrific at certain points, and this was several years after release with a top-of-the-line computer.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Hmm...Might give a shot. I did like the solo campain.

I do have a hard copy somwwhere in my dark corners of my room...I got it for 50kr!(roughly 5$)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hellgate was a classic example of mismanagement. Bill Roper was too busy daydreaming about swimming in his moneyvault to bother creating an actual game. The best thing to come out of the whole debacle was Runic Games/Torchlight.

Basically Flagship had a "monetization strategy" first then attempted to wrap a game around it. And that is fail for anyone who has a soul/isn't Zynga, but I repeat myself.

Sir Mate

Sep 4, 2009
Fitting for my luck i bought the game 1 week before the servers were shut down >.>
I hope they will give some kind of benefit for the owners of the original release, or it will be money down the sinkhole (as it WAS until now)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I played the game back when it was in open beta. I liked it, but it was quite a bit rough around the edges (read: a huge mess), but for what it was, I liked it.

I'll definitely play it again and even better now that it will be completely free.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I was one of the beta testers back in the day and while of course there were a lot of bugs and annoyances, at the core there was some really fun shit to do, good weapons and funky things to kill. I enjoyed it quite a lot and will most likely pick it back up.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I'm reading this "free to play" in the sense of Guild Wars, no subscription. Or has it gone the way of Champions Online and such?

We'll still actually be paying for the game, just without subscription fees, is how I understand it. What's the deal?

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Nice. I too liked Hellgate, though I actually thought it worked better as a single player game - the grouping was a bit broken really. Still, good news that it's coming back. I'm pretty sure I still have it installed, I wonder if it'll just work again?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I always thought this game was ahead of it's time, I'm looking forward to revisiting Hellgate this summer if EU players can get into NA servers.