'True Colors' is the Soundtrack to the Latest Dark Souls III Trailer

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
'True Colors' is the Soundtrack to the Latest Dark Souls III Trailer

An odd choice of music.

The most recent trailer for From Software's Dark Souls III has released, featuring new gameplay footage set to a haunting cover of the pop song "True Colors", made famous by Cyndi Lauper.

It's not a song I ever would have considered applying to Dark Souls, its uplifting message a bit askew from the mood of the games. It works though, particularly in this version which feels much more oppressive than the popular single. The cover, performed by Richie Kohan and Faux Fix, takes the melancholy elements of the tune, slows the tempo and turns it darker with church bells and eerie piano arrangement.

Dark Souls III is still more than a month out, set to arrive on April 12 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

[gallery=5844]

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rljUBxfIE]

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Now I'm hoping somehow another Cyndi Lauper song could be chosen for a Dark Souls trailer...

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The hollows in DS3 look like the Pthumerians in Bloodborne. I wonder why they've changed so much?

The cynical side of me thinks it's so they can re-use assets from bloodborne (like the animation rigs), but as long as they have good lore based reasons for it I'm fine with that. The world is populated with Giants, so it's not that far fetched.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
The hollows in DS3 look like the Pthumerians in Bloodborne. I wonder why they've changed so much?

The cynical side of me thinks it's so they can re-use assets from bloodborne (like the animation rigs), but as long as they have good lore based reasons for it I'm fine with that. The world is populated with Giants, so it's not that far fetched.
Nothing inherently wrong with reusing assets for a game to keep the production costs down. It gives more time for devs to spend on gameplay and story.

From have been reusing assets, both audio and graphical since demon's souls. Someone mentioned once somewhere that some sound assets from Armored Core were even reused in the souls games, but i haven't played them so i wouldn't know.

As long as the combat is tight, and it's hard as balls with a good balance of builds, i'll be very very happy indeed. Oh ... and a good amount of juicy lore of course.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
It looks like they've embraced some of the more quick and fluid combat from Bloodborne, I'm all for that. That and giant enemies, you know how pumped I am for giant enemies? There we like only a few really large enemies in Dark Souls Two, I can't wait to fight whatever that big falling tree root monster,

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
A pure gameplay trailer? What sorcery is this?? I can see it not attracting the spectacle seeking crowd, but for those that like their soulbornes, it is a mighty meaty teaser. Am loving the big monster animations. Very fluid and pretty! There is certainly some essence of Bloodborne peering through the aesthetic too. The cover is well fitting for the games, though personally i wouldn't have put so many shots of characters monkey-flipping about so much. Perhaps slower pans to soak up some atmospheric environment design etc, i dunno. Just a thought.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"Surely they don't mean that True Colors."

"Oh shit, they totally did."

That's a really weird choice for a Soul's Game, but it worked really well. I liked it, especially since it seemed like the least appropriate song imaginable. The contrast between the lyrics and the game was interesting, and the cover had a chilling edge to it.

Now watch it while listening to Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
1st thoughts when I saw the article title:

I can see through you (because you're a Phantom)
See your true colours (probably red)
'Cause inside you're ugly
You're ugly like me

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
You with the sad eyes
Don't be discouraged
Oh I realize
It's hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you
Can make you feel so small

If this world makes you crazy
And you've taken all you can bear
You call me up
Because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
Your true colors
Your true colors
Are beautiful

Huh, not actually as unfitting as you would think.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
WWmelb said:
Ragsnstitches said:

Nothing inherently wrong with reusing assets for a game to keep the production costs down. It gives more time for devs to spend on gameplay and story.

From have been reusing assets, both audio and graphical since demon's souls. Someone mentioned once somewhere that some sound assets from Armored Core were even reused in the souls games, but i haven't played them so i wouldn't know.

As long as the combat is tight, and it's hard as balls with a good balance of builds, i'll be very very happy indeed. Oh ... and a good amount of juicy lore of course.
Just to clarify, not thrashing asset recycling here. I'm an animator (in training) and I'm familiar with the body of work required to make a bunch of pixels move all pretty like.

Also, this is pure speculation. They could be entirely new assets for all I know.

Cynicism might have been a little harsh a term. I'm more curious as to what motivated which outcome. Freakishly tall and lanky hollows stand out a little more then a copy-paste wall texture or a re-used soundbite and I imagine From are aware that this will raise questions.

Does a decision to use old assets precede lore changes? Or is it the reverse and lore changes allow for the re-use of assets? It's a minor thing, but it's an interesting query into the development of these games, since the lore and design are so heavily intertwined.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think truth in advertising would demand "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" 24-7-365...

But, seriously, that wasn't half bad. I'm still a little tired of "slow, moody version of pop song implying deep, brooding, hitherto unrecognized emotional depth" as a trailer cliche, but that wasn't half bad.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
WWmelb said:
Ragsnstitches said:

Just to clarify, not thrashing asset recycling here. I'm an animator (in training) and I'm familiar with the body of work required to make a bunch of pixels move all pretty like.

Also, this is pure speculation. They could be entirely new assets for all I know.

Cynicism might have been a little harsh a term. I'm more curious as to what motivated which outcome. Freakishly tall and lanky hollows stand out a little more then a copy-paste wall texture or a re-used soundbite and I imagine From are aware that this will raise questions.

Does a decision to use old assets precede lore changes? Or is it the reverse and lore changes allow for the re-use of assets? It's a minor thing, but it's an interesting query into the development of these games, since the lore and design are so heavily intertwined.
I think they are bringing in more body horror/transformation themes, possibly similar to that of bloodborne. The hollows in the areas shown seem to be worshipping and turning into...dragon like things and trees? so I'm guessing that is why they are pale, tall and lanky.

Edit: It reminds me of the corrupted humans from the DS1 DLC who are also pale and tall with long limbs.
And the idea that the natural/ "true" state of humans is linked with Dark and is very different to how they appear now has been a theme in DS1 and 2, it's just not shown much. I could be completely off but I think that's where they are going with this and that is why the hollows look strange.