True facts you can't get yourself to believe

Dec 27, 2010
Mazza35 said:
That particles behave differently when you look at them...

SHOW ME YOUR TRUE FORM!
This. I really don't understand why an eye processing light makes a difference on the movement of subatomic particles.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
DrRockor said:
I took A level physics for a year and I just didn't understand most of the stuff we were told. One of the worst ones was that if you fired a bullet from a gun and dropped another identical bullet they would hit the ground at the sametime. It's all about velocity and gravity but it just doesnt sit right in my head
Just think about you jumping up then falling down, then you running and jumping and falling down while flying forwards. Going forwards doesn't give you any bonus upwards acceleration or velocity, it's weird for me to imagine it being any other way, how would going forwards stop you from going down?

The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Mazza35 said:
That particles behave differently when you look at them...

SHOW ME YOUR TRUE FORM!
This. I really don't understand why an eye processing light makes a difference on the movement of subatomic particles.
When people say 'look' at particles they don't mean when we see them with our eyes, in fact, we can't see sub atomic particles with our eyes, it's nothing to do with the detection side, it's that we have to physically do something to the particles to detect them, thus breaking down their wave function and giving them a defined area in which they could be in, not multiple
ones.

OT: Pauli's Exclusion Principle, which basically states no two identical fermions can occupy the same state at the same time, which means as you heat up objects and excite electrons, electrons everywhere are slightly changing their state as they cannot be in the same state as the ones you have just excited and given energy to. (This is what I've understood from what little I've heard of it, if I'm wrong here please correct me :p)

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
Talshere said:
Someone looked at he Twilight books and though "they will make GREAT movies", followed immediately by, "Twilight actually did make really successful movies"

o_O
How about the publishers who put it on the shelves in the first place. They're the ones I blame personally.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
There are still people argueing for creationism in 2012?

There are people who think europe and africa are countries?

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time?

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Avalanche91 said:
There are still people argueing for creationism in 2012?

There are people who think europe and africa are countries?

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time?
Haha, this made me think of one:

People who think Brussels is a country and Belgium is a city.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Crazy_Dude said:
Galletea said:
Polar bears are in fact black.
It blew my mind.
This, I still find the concept to be pretty strange.
Well, it's just their skin that is black. Their fur is "clear" (as in see through) and quite thick so that it makes them look white

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I was going to say the whole "we eat spiders a few times a year when we are asleep" but I pretty sure that is not concrete true fact.
So I guess I go with Pluto is in fact a planet! I just feel that denining it's a planet at all, it's a like a big screw you to the Greek who discover it in the first place and Hades himself.
the greeks did not discover pluto it was Clyde Tombaugh in 1930 and the name was from a girl who had an interest in mythoglage, her father worked with the telescope the was used to discover it

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
JokerCrowe said:
Yggdraz0r said:

I still can't believe this isn't a girl.
How'bout the fact that This isn't a girl?
I find it difficult to believe that the universe has no edge.
HOW??
That... totally depends on which episode you are watching :p?

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Corn Flakes were invented to prevent victorian era children from masturbating, puely by being bland in taste.

I have not had a bowl of Corn Flakes since 1998.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Popadoo said:
Talshere said:
Popadoo said:
When I was first taught about general relativity I found it hard to believe. I mean, come on, simply by being in low-gravity you age faster and time just general moves quicker?
But it's true, as it turns out. They have to reset the ATOMIC CLOCKS (super accurate clocks) on satellites every day, lest GPS be miles and miles off.
It could be so hard to believe because general relativity isnt true. At least certain aspects you have to use special relativity to get a sensible answer. If we ever get one theory that actually works for everything it may well be a whole lot easier to understnad.

Also, the actually US GPS system, I dont know about GLONASS, GNSS or future Galileo, Compass or IRNSS systems, but I suspect they are the same, you don't actually alter the clock on the satellites (I misspelt this as satalites and auto correct has suggest to me Australites, Natality, Satanism and Satanist.....Go go autocorrect...) they check them individually against known location ground station and then work out the time error based on the error in position, the satalite then as part of the ping it sends out of its position says "I have an error of this" which the handheld devices then compensate for.

Also, I'm fairly sure the standard theory for the loss of time is due to the speed they are travelling relative to the earth is that much greater and the closer you get to the speed of light the slower you age (Though this could just be the special theory of relativity). The actual loss of time per day for satellites is negligible but it does become significant over time. For one day however the inaccuracies generated by the bending of the signal path as it travels through the atmosphere is significantly greater. Compensating for this bending is one of the biggest problems in satellite navigation as the difference it can make is huge.
They don't lose time, the clocks actually SPEED UP when orbiting the Earth. Yeah, their high speeds will make their clocks slow down too, but the effect gravity has on time is much greater than the effect speed has on time.
When they first developed satellites they didn't believe simply being high up, away from stronger gravitational pull, would effect them. Within MINUTES the satellite was so far off GPS would mark you miles from your position. Granted, it's literally hundredth of a millisecond difference, but when you're trying to triangulate say, a phone out of anywhere on the whole EARTH, it makes the difference.
Pretty sure the satelites' time doesn't quite speed up. They are only fast in RELATION to us. Time for the satelite continues on at exactly a steady pace in the same manner it does for us. It is all about the relative relation between mass, time and position.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Yggdraz0r said:

And thus, we have another victim who had a Bridget dropped on him. So, to help avoid such occurances again i have made up the following.

First Rule of Anime: Until proven otherwise, assume all characters are the opposite gender to how they appear..

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I can't believe that someone made a thread complaining that someone said Portal was a bad game.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Liquidacid23 said:
uhddh said:
Pluto is a planet god damn it.
well given how many other objects are in our solar system just like pluto or larger and thus would be "planets" too you better start working on a new and very long mnemonic device to replace "My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas"
I Feel this is relevant.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Yggdraz0r said:
JokerCrowe said:
Yggdraz0r said:

How'bout the fact that This isn't a girl?
I find it difficult to believe that the universe has no edge.
HOW??
That... totally depends on which episode you are watching :p?

what anime is that from?

OT: i cant believe that America's politicians and by extension populace is so stupid... man i want out of this country..

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
That human beings are capable of treating words and categories as real and objective rather than immediately realizing they are mutable conventions for the transmission of concepts. Case in point: planet.

It meant thing that wandered because ancient people had no idea why they should move in odd orbits compared to the "fixed" stars. The definition changed over time. It will change in the future. Further discovery shall lead to new ideas of what objects orbit Sol and the other stars. In the meanwhile, Pluto will remain what it is in itself regardless of what we label it.