Trump Campaign Disproportionately Encouraged Black Americans Not to Vote in 2016

What would you do if Press showed up and informed you that you were targeted for voter Supression?

• Total voters

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
To the surprise of no one again, Trump campaign targeted social media ads in an attempt to convince target audiences not to vote.
SO how would you respond to the press showing up and informing you that you were on a list targeted to convince you not to vote in the election?

Leaked Database Shows Trump Campaign Targeted Black Americans for Voter Suppression in 2016

.."how did the Trump team use all that data that was taken from Facebook users without their consent? A new investigation from Channel 4 News reveals that, in part, the voter data was employed to target Black voters with ads designed to discourage voting."

"But the category that caught Channel 4's attention was labeled ā€œDeterrence.ā€ This group of voters was reportedly targeted with social media ads designed to make them want to sit out the election entirely. These voters were disproportionately Black. From Channel 4:

In total, 3.5 million Black Americans were marked ā€˜Deterrenceā€™.

In Georgia, despite Black people constituting 32% of the population, they made up 61% of the ā€˜Deterrenceā€™ category. In North Carolina, Black people are 22% of the population but were 46% of ā€˜Deterrenceā€™. In Wisconsin, Black people constitute just 5.4% of the population but made up 17% of ā€˜Deterrenceā€™.

The disproportionate categorising of Black Americans for ā€˜Deterrenceā€™ is seen across the US. Overall, people of colour labelled as Black, Hispanic, Asian and ā€˜Otherā€™ groups made up 54% of the ā€˜Deterrenceā€™ category. In contrast, other categories of voters the campaign wished to attract were overwhelmingly white."

Channel 4 spoke with many voters whose information appeared in the database leak to get their reactions, and you can see the full video report here.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
What does such a "don't vote" ad look like? I'm curious.
There are some blatant examples here:
However, most voter suppression ads are just meant to fuel apathy, division, hopelessness, misinformation to push voters to working against their best interests by encouraging them not to vote or vote 3rd party.. Utilizing many of the same methods outlined in the BBC 4 part documentary "Century of Self" that went into detail how the Diamond industry, Tobacco Industry, and even Bill Clinton's campaign utilized these methods to manipulate the masses to convince people to think they needed a diamond to get married, or that they were precious when they were actually plentiful when they didn't even use diamonds in marriage prior to this Ad campaign, convince people to smoke by manipulating them to believe it is empowering and to believe they were outdated, drab and dull if they didn't vote for Bill Clinton. These methods have proven extremely successful throughout history as a form of " mind control" via information control. Everyone from governments, politicians to product marketers still utilize these extremely effective manipulation methods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houseman

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
However, most voter suppression ads are just meant to fuel apathy, division, hopelessness, misinformation to push voters to working against their best interests by encouraging them not to vote or vote 3rd party..
Ahh, the joy of those "both sides are just as bad" people.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Ahh, the joy of those "both sides are just as bad" people.
Worth remembering that propaganda can be most effective when based in truth. So if the Democratic Party wants to combat this sort of thing, they ought to more clearly differentiate themselves from the Republicans. You do not do this by screaming about how Trump is an existential threat to "democracy" while handing him larger and larger military budgets and domestic spying powers. That just makes you look insincere and complicit. You do not do this by saying that actually it's Trump that wants to defund the police.

The very narrow focus on certain propaganda among American liberals along with the total ignoring of the mountains of other propaganda since 2016 has been interesting to say the least.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Worth remembering that propaganda can be most effective when based in truth. So if the Democratic Party wants to combat this sort of thing, they ought to more clearly differentiate themselves from the Republicans. You do not do this by screaming about how Trump is an existential threat to "democracy" while handing him larger and larger military budgets and domestic spying powers. That just makes you look insincere and complicit. You do not do this by saying that actually it's Trump that wants to defund the police.

The very narrow focus on certain propaganda among American liberals along with the total ignoring of the mountains of other propaganda since 2016 has been interesting to say the least.
They only look the same if you are ignoring everything that is going on.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ

You would actually have to:
1) Ignore both party's current platform
2) Ignore both parties current voting records
3) Ignore both parties current policies.
4) Ignore everything either party has done over the last decade.
For them to " both be the same". Sure take away everything they have said and done over the last decade and that could be accurate.

One party not doing enough =\= One party actively taking away all gains and making it so we can never get any future gains.

It makes you look insincere and complicit If you are willing to ignore everything they have both said and done and then spread misinformation. For example:

Our ruling:
Biden said that Trump proposes cutting half a billion dollars from local police support.
According to the Trump administrationā€™s budget requests, Bidenā€™s number is about right.
The biggest area of interpretation is what counts as local police support. There is no question that Trump proposed a $170 million cut for the program that subsidizes community police initiatives, Community Oriented Policing Services. Beyond that, the Justice Department offers a wide range of programs. Some provide direct aid to local law enforcement, but some do not.
One expert we reached said most of these programs do provide direct aid. Another said they all aim to advance public safety at the local level.
The claim is largely accurate but requires additional information. Thatā€™s our definition of Mostly True.

It might help you to do your homework and stop letting Twitter do it for you before spreading MORE misinformation. Trump actually DID cut law enforcement funding, Biden using it on social workers, de-escalation training and psychiatrists is exactly where it needs to be spent.

This is why NOT listening to misinformation is important, you overlook the actual truth here.
Oh and BTW, Biden's statement was a reaction to THIS blatantly false propaganda:

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You would actually have to:
1) Ignore both party's current platform
2) Ignore both parties current voting records
3) Ignore both parties current policies.
4) Ignore everything either party has done over the last decade.
For them to " both be the same". Sure take away everything they have said and done over the last decade and that could be accurate.

One party not doing enough =\= One party actively taking away all gains and making it so we can never get any future gains.

It makes you look insincere and complicit If you are willing to ignore everything they have both said and done and then spread misinformation. For example:

Our ruling:
Biden said that Trump proposes cutting half a billion dollars from local police support.
According to the Trump administrationā€™s budget requests, Bidenā€™s number is about right.
The biggest area of interpretation is what counts as local police support. There is no question that Trump proposed a $170 million cut for the program that subsidizes community police initiatives, Community Oriented Policing Services. Beyond that, the Justice Department offers a wide range of programs. Some provide direct aid to local law enforcement, but some do not.
One expert we reached said most of these programs do provide direct aid. Another said they all aim to advance public safety at the local level.
The claim is largely accurate but requires additional information. Thatā€™s our definition of Mostly True.

It might help you to do your homework and stop letting Twitter do it for you before spreading MORE misinformation. Trump actually DID cut law enforcement funding, Biden using it on social workers, de-escalation training and psychiatrists is exactly where it needs to be spent.

This is why NOT listening to misinformation is important, you overlook the actual truth here.
Ah yes, Trump is removing funding for the bogus police programs that do nothing but funnel money into consulting firms and occasionally into the budgets of police forces. I... am upset about this? None of the shit heā€™s cutting funding to works anyway, and as an actual leftist who has engaged with the ongoing protest movement Biden being staunchly pro-cop and pro-cop funding pisses me off. I donā€™t want racist cops to get put into a bunch of bullshit racial diversity trainings it has been empirically shown donā€™t work. I want them fired. I want them gone. If anything, youā€™ve given me a reason to not want to vote.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
Ah yes, Trump is removing funding for the bogus police programs that do nothing but funnel money into consulting firms and occasionally into the budgets of police forces. I... am upset about this? None of the shit heā€™s cutting funding to works anyway, and as an actual leftist who has engaged with the ongoing protest movement Biden being staunchly pro-cop and pro-cop funding pisses me off. I donā€™t want racist cops to get put into a bunch of bullshit racial diversity trainings it has been empirically shown donā€™t work. I want them fired. I want them gone. If anything, youā€™ve given me a reason to not want to vote.
That wasn't all he did... Keep reading. Part of Trump's opposition to " blue state bailouts" already defunded the police.
Biden bringing in social workers, psychiatrists and de-escalation training isn't anything that you proposed is happening here. Have you actually read his plan? Trump wants the blue states to burn so he can bring in the military and federal police to abuse you instead.
He wants the local police out of the way so he can take over the beating of the protesters instead.

Since you think that is somehow better.. or something.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
So what you are saying is you fell for the propaganda 100% then?
No I just have a memory of anything that happened before 2016.
That wasn't all he did... Keep reading. Part of Trump's opposition to " blue state bailouts" already defunded the police.
Biden bringing in social workers, psychiatrists and de-escalation training isn't anything that you proposed is happening here. Have you actually read his plan? Trump wants the blue states to burn so he can bring in the military and federal police to abuse you instead.
He wants the local police out of the way so he can take over the beating of the protesters instead.

Since you think that is somehow better.. or something.
This does not make me like Biden and does not make me mad at Trump. Perhaps if itā€™s federal agents doing the abuse people will care. After all, thatā€™s the only time you gave a fuck in Portland.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
No I just have a memory of anything that happened before 2016.

This does not make me like Biden and does not make me mad at Trump. Perhaps if itā€™s federal agents doing the abuse people will care. After all, thatā€™s the only time you gave a fuck in Portland.
Yea, so do I. Millions of people were given access to healthcare that didn't have it before, homelessness was at it's lowest point in a decade and Obama had expanded food stamps to actually include single adults and we were working on the most progressive agenda we have ever had. Bernie had made massive gains in the platform and for the first time Bernie had given us progressives a clear path forward that if we just did what he told us he needed us to do we can finally make some of these things we have been wanting for years a reality. People claimed to support Bernie, then ignored every single thing he asked them to do so that he could help them. Instead, they promoted misinformation and made sure that Bernie, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Elizabeth Warren and every single person in congress that has been working tirelessly to help us would not be able to do anything to stop the GOP taking away people's only access to food, housing, medicine and undoing every bit of gains we made and ensuring that we will not be able to make anymore gains even when we win in the future. We will now instead be spending all of our time trying to undo the obstacles the GOP put in and repair what they broke so that people will eventually be able to get homelessness back down to where it was before Trump took office, try to save as many as we can when we lose healthcare access and fight the courts to provide more people access to food and other basic necessities to stay alive someday, because his new justices do not believe the federal government has the right to do that anymore.

Oh and if Trump wins again, forget about anything ever improving in our lifetime and expect it to only get worse from here. Because you know, Trump thinks the local cops were being too soft, they need to make sure they bang their heads a few more times so when he comes in with the Federal police and military, he won't have to worry about those "weak" local politicians trying to make him go soft too. I have no idea who you think will stop him... or care, they have their own problems. Who exactly is it going to matter to? The UN? What " people" will care? Like they cared when China abuses their own people? How's that going for the Chinese people eh? But then again, Trump wants to be able to control the internet like they do too, so I really wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the UN to come save us.
DO you REALLY remember what happened before 2016? How about that Time Trump wanted us to be able to control the internet like China? Ignoring the fact that he has been building his own already?

It is like people have a VERY selectively memory and while they were whining about Clinton's emails, they forgot about Trump wanting to be able to control US internet like China does. Wanting to use the troops on the people like China does so that when he eliminates the little safety net we have left now, people won't be able to do anything about any of it. Remember when I had discussed that whole " end game' for the GOP plan years ago where they take all the resources, and have their own private military keep the poor away from them while they make people suffer and die? Welcome to our new reality! Their courts will rule it constitutional! They are getting everything they want and the people will simply just not have the resources to fight back at all now. If that is the end game you were expecting, well you got it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ONLY time I gave a f in Portland? I am guessing you forgot how I was worried about the racists in Oregon way back when you got angry at me for bringing up that they were even a threat because you thought I was exaggerating about the racism threat in Oregon at the time. I was worried about the rise of groups like the proud boys before it got really ugly, because these groups activity were rapidly growing online prior to this all breaking out at all. I tried to bring it up and you became angry for even suggesting that there was a racism problem there at all. I was already talking about the infiltration of the police by the racists there years before this ever came to a head like this. Don't pretend like I wasn't already trying to talk about it before this crap hit the fan, and no it didn't take Portland burning for me to recognize it as a problem that needed to be addressed. I think at the time I brought it up you raged at me and left and blocked me or something because you said " Oregon is not a racist state!" and thought I was a B for even thinking about the problem that is now blowing up there to the point you want the police to disbanded now. Then I had to listen to people explain that you just love your home and don't want to hear people " insulting it" when I just wanted to address the problem at all. The thing is I do care, and would like for us to actually deal with this crap before LETTING it get this bad, not make it worse to the point it won't be fixed in our lifetimes as you suggest we do. Life is great for Syrians right now isn't? I'm trying to keep as many as I can alive right now, I understand they will actually die if you let this get worse. Reality is, no " people" are going to come save us if we allow it to go to shit. It is just that much harder for us to clean up later if we are still alive by then. It only get's fixed if WE fix it. No one is going to do it for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avnger and BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What does such a "don't vote" ad look like? I'm curious.
It's basically a scorched earth campaign, to make voters think there's no-one worth voting for.

The basic idea is that lots of voters are only ever going to vote for one party, so the trick is not to win them over, but to demoralise them into not voting. This would usually be either by heaping derision and suspicion on their party so that they start to doubt it, or to convince them that there's no point in them voting generally because it won't change anything.

A form of the latter often occurs naturally: when an election looks "settled" because one candidate is so far ahead in the polls, many people (on all sides) won't bother voting because they assume enough other people will to make the prediction become the actuality. Tighter races improve turnout.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
The ONLY time I gave a f in Portland?
You... fucking four months of people getting brutalized in the streets, fucking doing something about this, you wanna call the people the fucking racists while you sit at home telling people to vote!!! I am proud of these people, proud of my state for fighting this shit, for not giving up while our leadership abandons them. Of the people who volunteered in the hundreds, thousands, to help their communities during a massive natural disaster. Your one fucking description for goddamn all of them was ā€œracist. Our mayor, our governor, every fucking authority is limp wristed bullshit. Letting proud boys come in from across the country with guns but brutalizing actual Oregonians every goddamn night. But the people, them I trust. You think the solution is better authority, how? Fucking how? How do I get Kate Brown to stop federally deputizing cops so they can beat people more? How do make the Dems stop treating the city of Portland as a fucking holding cell for the leftists they donā€™t like, placating them on occasion and brutalizing them on a whim? Fucking decades of people organizing, voting, in a deep blue region of a blue state. Kate Brownā€™s supposed to be one of the most left-wing governors in the fucking country, but what does it fucking matter? You wanna know why I hate the Dems so goddamn much? Itā€™s because they hated me first. They hate every fucking person dumb enough to vote for them. Iā€™m just hating them back, though Iā€™ve sadly not learned well enough to stop voting.

You wanna say one more fucking cross word about the people of this state, the regular human beings that do the real business of keeping it moving while our politicians plunder it, go right the fuck ahead and do it, but know youā€™re just another liberal so divorced from any human motivation and condition that you may as well live on another goddamn planet if you do. Your analysis of reality, that some people are just evil and wrong and voting is our only way out, it is contradictory and disgusting. The natural conclusion of your Liberal metaphysics of Original Sin isnā€™t even remotely democratic, and itā€™s no society Iā€™d live in. Itā€™s the fascism you profess to fight. This hell is built with your sentiments.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is old for me. And it was not just Black Americans either. There a lot of young people of many races that did not vote, because they thought or believed their votes would not matter as both sides are just as bad justification. I bet they're regretting that shit now. I may not like Hilary, but I voted for her, because she knows when keep her trap shut, and tries to get the job done.

Reactions: lil devils x

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dunno, I'd imagine a fair few are doubling down, like Trump supporters are doing. Sunk cost fallacy and not wanting to admit they've been horrifically wrong and all.
Then they are bigger imbeciles than the Trump supporters. They have no one to blame but themselves for making the same mistake twice. I would like to show those few that clip from Killer 7 or Far Cry 3, but that would be too subtle for them.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You wanna say one more fucking cross word about the people of this state, the regular human beings that do the real business of keeping it moving while our politicians plunder it, go right the fuck ahead and do it, but know youā€™re just another liberal so divorced from any human motivation and condition that you may as well live on another goddamn planet if you do. Your analysis of reality, that some people are just evil and wrong and voting is our only way out, it is contradictory and disgusting. The natural conclusion of your Liberal metaphysics of Original Sin isnā€™t even remotely democratic, and itā€™s no society Iā€™d live in. Itā€™s the fascism you profess to fight. This hell is built with your sentiments.
You know, you would save us a bunch of time if you just said "I won't be happy unless everyone goes total socialist" at the start of these discussions so that would save so much time and effort put into responding.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
This is old for me. And it was not just Black Americans either. There a lot of young people of many races that did not vote, because they thought or believed their votes would not matter as both sides are just as bad justification. I bet they're regretting that shit now. I may not like Hilary, but I voted for her, because she knows when keep her trap shut, and tries to get the job done.
It would be difficult to find an analysis that is more abstracted from the consequences of electing one candidate or another. That right there is just the most shallow bullshit. You must have a better reason than that. Even I could think of better reasons for having voted for Hillary-- and I didn't.

Dunno, I'd imagine a fair few are doubling down, like Trump supporters are doing. Sunk cost fallacy and not wanting to admit they've been horrifically wrong and all.
Or they don't share the same evaluation of Biden as you do, or wish to reward a party that treats them with nothing but contempt.