Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
And he probably will. Of all the things Trump is incapable of doing, keeping his mouth shut when he thinks he's getting a bum deal is high on the list.
It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Trump says stupid shit, gets in trouble and says stupid shit as a result that gets him in trouble.

Reactions: bluegate

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean might as well made it 83.3 hyperbagillionmegamillion dollars. He'll never pay a single cent. This will be held up on appeals, motions and counter suits for the next 200 years easy.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I mean might as well made it 83.3 hyperbagillionmegamillion dollars. He'll never pay a single cent. This will be held up on appeals, motions and counter suits for the next 200 years easy.
The fun part is that while Trump will definitely appeal the case, New York law requires that the amount be put up in a trust controlled by the court before you're allowed to appeal. Unfortunately, we all know he simply pull that money out of his PACs and not put up the funds himself.

Half a loaf and all that.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The fun part is that while Trump will definitely appeal the case, New York law requires that the amount be put up in a trust controlled by the court before you're allowed to appeal. Unfortunately, we all know he simply pull that money out of his PACs and not put up the funds himself.
Which is also illegal and yet another thing that he's currently being investigated for...I think. With 91 felony indictments it's hard to remember everything he's been indicted for.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
From what I've read, Alina Habba's reputation as a lawyer is... not high.

She seems to have been a relatively obscure, middling practitioner until she did a Trump golf course a big favour (for which she could potentially face a major sanction up to and including disbarment, if a complaint is upheld) , and brought herself to the attention of the big man. I can absolutely believe what she's saying about being pretty, because I think Trump has a fondness for attractive women that outweighs his judgement, and that's a lot of why she's representing him. Also, of course, that she is probably like Trump self-absorbed, narcissistic, unethical, and willing to do almost anything for money and attention. Like attracts like. Trump does of course also have serious, professional lawyers, although I think a lot of high end ones avoid him like the plague because he has a habit of dragging them down to his levels and wrecking their reputations. Something Habba doesn't need to worry about.

Reactions: Dalisclock

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This says more about our broken justice system than it ever did about Trump.
This "Bat poop crazy" creative writer tells us Trump graped her in a relatively public place: a dressing room at a shop with customers and staff milling about. She did not file a police report. She did not make a peep to the people in the store. The Judge should have thrown the case out for lack of credibility. Yet now, over an issue she did not even file a police report about, has now ballooned to $83 million.

Dunno if the Judge could over turn the verdict. Typically in a criminal trial the Judge can do so. This was civil.

Look, I get it. People hate Trump. But when something this insane gets this kind of result? We should all be very worried. Today it is happening to a guy half the country despises. Tomorrow? Anyone disobedient enough to publicly criticize the "narrative"?

An interesting take:

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
This "Bat poop crazy" creative writer tells us Trump graped her in a relatively public place: a dressing room at a shop with customers and staff milling about. She did not file a police report. She did not make a peep to the people in the store. The Judge should have thrown the case out for lack of credibility. Yet now, over an issue she did not even file a police report about, has now ballooned to $83 million.

Dunno if the Judge could over turn the verdict. Typically in a criminal trial the Judge can do so. This was civil.

Look, I get it. People hate Trump. But when something this insane gets this kind of result? We should all be very worried. Today it is happening to a guy half the country despises. Tomorrow? Anyone disobedient enough to publicly criticize the "narrative"?
Okay, there are a number of issues here.

1) Even eccentric people get raped. In fact, often, they're more likely to be raped. A lot of people seem to have this weird idea that people who vary from some mythical norm aren't trustworthy, or worthy, of having their assaults taken seriously. I don't really get why we have to undermine anyone who isn't a biege, suburban mom when they say they have been sexual assaulted.

2) There is this weird prejudice people have about how people react when they are assaulted. If we want to know how people react when they are assaulted, we merely need observe it. And yet for some reason, there is this weird societal compulsion to create a fiction of how they should respond, and then dismiss their case if they didn't live up to the fiction. (For that matter, I've literally just watched "American Nightmare" on Netflix, and we can see that even when they do what they are supposed to, they don't get believed.) Why are we letting absurd, disproven fictions define our approach to crime? It's an insult and a travesty.

3) Statistically, some of your family and friends are likely to be amongst those victims: who didn't scream, didn't fight, didn't report. I know some of mine didn't. If your stance is that they are not credible, if any tell of teir experience, can I suggest you apply the courage of your convictions, look them in the eyes, and call them a liar? And I mean that absolutely seriously, because I think anyone who really believes that should have to face up to the emotional impact it has on the people they care about. And, of course, that's a lot of why victims don't talk about it, especially to people they fear will not be sympathetic, because that attitude to their experience is devastating.

So, you're attacking Carroll's credibility here. But in terms of credibility, I just want to point out... Donald Trump.

He's been credibly reported to have groped Miss World contestants, amongst others, and at minimum liked to pervily wander through their dressing rooms whilst they were changing. He is on tape saying he likes to grab women by the pussy. This is a man who has made a lifetime career out of lying whenever it suits him. He says E. Jean Carroll was "not his type" in a deposition, and then thought a photo of her was one of his ex-wives - who, we can fairly assume, was his type. So he even lied in a legal deposition.

Trump helped dig his own grave here.

The Judge should have thrown the case out for lack of credibility.
It was a jury trial. That's 12 men and women who unanimously thought the accusation was more credible than not.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
It was a jury trial. That's 12 men and women who unanimously thought the accusation was more credible than not.
9*
Civil trials (in New York) don't have to have the full 12 jurors. They can have as few as 6.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

An interesting take:

This wasn't a criminal trial, it was defamation. In the eyes of the jury there was credible evidence that Trump lied repeatedly about several issues and that there enough evidence to find him guilty of the defamation. The evidence is all online relatively straight forward.

Ironically Jean carolls statement didn't play into it as much as Trumps inability to a. not lie, in court, over and over. b. shut the fuck up.

The jury found that jean caroll was a more credible witness than Trump. If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at him. Theres a thousand ways he could have gotten out of this, but he literally got caught lying on like really simple shit. He could have easily twisted this into a He said/she said situation but he refused. He did everything in his power to torpedo his own case and destroy his own character.

I think thats what makes it so hard to have any support or sympathy for him as a politician. Theres so many issues that would seem middle of the road for Americans. His supposed views on Tarrifs, foreign intervention, immigration, but its like he is incapable of speaking without sounding like a complete silverspoon asshole. I think what still amazes me is how difficult it is for him to get a good lawyer. Like he had originally some of the best civil litigation lawyers available to him in the US, but you can go watch interviews with them. Everyone literally said "I couldn't control him, he wouldn't listen to any legal advice" and they all quit.

Aaaaand still he coulda walked away from this, but he kept harassing her on social media which then of course sets his followers on her. Hes not paying 83 million because he was convicted of rape, this was idiot tax pure and simple.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Okay, there are a number of issues here.

1) Even eccentric people get raped. In fact, often, they're more likely to be raped. A lot of people seem to have this weird idea that people who vary from some mythical norm aren't trustworthy, or worthy, of having their assaults taken seriously. I don't really get why we have to undermine anyone who isn't a biege, suburban mom when they say they have been sexual assaulted.

2) There is this weird prejudice people have about how people react when they are assaulted. If we want to know how people react when they are assaulted, we merely need observe it. And yet for some reason, there is this weird societal compulsion to create a fiction of how they should respond, and then dismiss their case if they didn't live up to the fiction. (For that matter, I've literally just watched "American Nightmare" on Netflix, and we can see that even when they do what they are supposed to, they don't get believed.) Why are we letting absurd, disproven fictions define our approach to crime? It's an insult and a travesty.

3) Statistically, some of your family and friends are likely to be amongst those victims: who didn't scream, didn't fight, didn't report. I know some of mine didn't. If your stance is that they are not credible, if any tell of teir experience, can I suggest you apply the courage of your convictions, look them in the eyes, and call them a liar? And I mean that absolutely seriously, because I think anyone who really believes that should have to face up to the emotional impact it has on the people they care about. And, of course, that's a lot of why victims don't talk about it, especially to people they fear will not be sympathetic, because that attitude to their experience is devastating.

So, you're attacking Carroll's credibility here. But in terms of credibility, I just want to point out... Donald Trump.

He's been credibly reported to have groped Miss World contestants, amongst others, and at minimum liked to pervily wander through their dressing rooms whilst they were changing. He is on tape saying he likes to grab women by the pussy. This is a man who has made a lifetime career out of lying whenever it suits him. He says E. Jean Carroll was "not his type" in a deposition, and then thought a photo of her was one of his ex-wives - who, we can fairly assume, was his type. So he even lied in a legal deposition.

Trump helped dig his own grave here.

She didn't need to just freeze up and say nothing as people milled about while he raped her (not just an assault: she says he entered her): HE, unless he's a TV star with a reputation and billions to protect that somehow doesn't care about being caught literally with his pants down, had to have somehow known she wouldn't make a peep. That isn't credible. EDIT:
I do hear they did not find he raped her, denying her claim. They split the difference and said he "assaulted her" and then defamed her by saying it didn't happen. If a woman claims to have been raped and even you know it didn't happen, what does it say about you to split the difference in this manner?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
She didn't need to just freeze up and say nothing as people milled about while he raped her (not just an assault: she says he entered her): HE, unless he's a TV star with a reputation and billions to protect that somehow doesn't care about being caught literally with his pants down, had to have somehow known she wouldn't make a peep. That isn't credible. EDIT:
I do hear they did not find he raped her, denying her claim. They split the difference and said he "assaulted her" and then defamed her by saying it didn't happen. If a woman claims to have been raped and even you know it didn't happen, what does it say about you to split the difference in this manner?

I'm just going to quote Trump himself here.

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Half a loaf and all that.
That's law for poor people. If we've learned anything from the Trump years, its that the justice system is entirely broken and laws only apply to people who actively choose to let them apply. Trump is 100% above the law.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm just going to quote Trump himself here.

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."
To super models. To a odd looking 50 something old lady? And sure, that sounds potentially credible but it isn't what she claimed. She claimed he raped her. In relative public.

But the damages were for defamation. If her book simply read that he'd grabbed her by the pussy, do you think that would have been a book seller? I don't. But rape, that the jury didn't believe happened for good reason as its ridiculous? Some money there. As she appears to have been lying about that much, it's money she doesn't deserve.
This wasn't a criminal trial, it was defamation. In the eyes of the jury there was credible evidence that Trump lied repeatedly about several issues and that there enough evidence to find him guilty of the defamation. The evidence is all online relatively straight forward.

Ironically Jean carolls statement didn't play into it as much as Trumps inability to a. not lie, in court, over and over. b. shut the fuck up.

The jury found that jean caroll was a more credible witness than Trump. If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at him. Theres a thousand ways he could have gotten out of this, but he literally got caught lying on like really simple shit. He could have easily twisted this into a He said/she said situation but he refused. He did everything in his power to torpedo his own case and destroy his own character.

I think thats what makes it so hard to have any support or sympathy for him as a politician. Theres so many issues that would seem middle of the road for Americans. His supposed views on Tarrifs, foreign intervention, immigration, but its like he is incapable of speaking without sounding like a complete silverspoon asshole. I think what still amazes me is how difficult it is for him to get a good lawyer. Like he had originally some of the best civil litigation lawyers available to him in the US, but you can go watch interviews with them. Everyone literally said "I couldn't control him, he wouldn't listen to any legal advice" and they all quit.

Aaaaand still he coulda walked away from this, but he kept harassing her on social media which then of course sets his followers on her. Hes not paying 83 million because he was convicted of rape, this was idiot tax pure and simple.
Like the fish says, "I wouldn't have gotten caught if I kept my mouth shut."