Trump wants 'Patriotic Education'.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I always found that super creepy.

For the record, we didn't even do that in the GDR.
It is not mandatory, though there is peer pressure to comply. Luckily there were a good number of students who just opted out while I was growing up, so I was not alone or it would have been weirder.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
LOL all this is, is the fictional " white only history" he was taught when he was a kid where all nonwhites were erased and white guys took credit for everything everyone else did. Is anyone surprised Trump got his undies in a wad because people actually showed what Columbus himself wrote about what he did? Trump REALLY doesn't like anyone to argue with Trump's alternative facts. I just feel bad for any kids that are going to have to learn this garbage. They are going to be as screwed up as those who were taught Moses was a founding father.
Was it actually Antonio Meucci who invented the Telephone and Alexander Graham Bell took all the credit?

Reactions: lil devils x

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Remember that it's only indoctrination and propaganda if other people do it.

Yeah, though it seems more like an antagonistic move to divert the next generation away from the kind of PC ideologies and leftist agitators that are so prevalent today and which ideas have so permeated colleges, the media, corporations etc.
At least they chose that, in a system that mostly left them free to do so from multiple options available. That's very different from official education by state fiat.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He wants more sacrificial, idiotic pawns; fuck him! There are just sometimes I wish that Millennium (Nazi Vampires from Hellsing) were real and eat Trump, his followers that could not care less about the fate of the country, and the foolish naive that hang on to his every word. Or Johan Liebert would pretend to be "on their side", only to inevitably betray them and he either kills them himself, has one of his fanatics do it [Johan], or tricks them in to fear and paranoia have them kill each other out of self-preservation.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
That isn't true. In my traditional culture, indoctrination was universally condemned, especially for children, it was considered to be " illegal" to manipulate children in such ways regardless of personal beliefs because it was known they were not developed enough to make decisions for themselves and easily manipulated into emulating those who they looked up to as role models. Indoctrinating children into religious societies was seen as exploitive and extremely wrong, as it would prevent them from making a decision on their own free will when they were mature enough to do so. Indoctrination in general was condemned for adults as well, as importance of free will and choice has a great deal of importance in our culture.

This sort of mindless patriotism promoted in the US seems to forget about what is actually important and put meaningless symbols as being of more importance than the people they were supposed to represent. It is like that man who injured a 13 yr old kid for not standing for the flag. That should go against everything the flag was supposed to stand for, but yet to that man and others like him, the flag was more important than the person in front of him. Instead of it being a pride in your family, friends, and neighbors and the bonds that you share, it instead becomes a means to manipulate and control people and inflict harm. That is nothing to be proud of, instead that is rather frightening, like they created an angry, violent, monster they should be ashamed of instead of something great to be proud of in the bond and love that they share.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Honest question? Does this all depend on whether the schools will accept this "Patriotic Education" act?

Are they forced to do this by law or something or schools will face some kind of penalty?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Honest question? Does this all depend on whether the schools will accept this "Patriotic Education" act?

Are they forced to do this by law or something or schools will face some kind of penalty?
It’s complicated. There’s a lot of federal funding to consider, and the text book industry is highly monolithic. It’s very easy for the federal government to control what students are taught in the average public school without actually having the administrative ties to provide them with consequences or responsibilities for the failures of their enforcements.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Because honestly, I don’t think any of them quite compare to this. John Howard - for his sins - could at least comport himself like a statesman even after the utter dick move with the Tampa (Yeah, Pepperidge Farm still fuckin’ remembers John). Abbott was a twat par excellence and I lived in legitimate fear of Constable Potato Face becoming PM. As for Scomo.......I honestly think if he just shut up and stood still he’d fade into the wallpaper.

Where'd you land on Turnbull?

EDIT: And oh Jesus I just remembered this is like the whole “Western Civilisation” course someone wanted at a University or three in Australia.
Turnball= Obama. Didn't want to rock the boat. Energy sector is still a huge problem. Gave water back to the farmers and it's getting to Howard stupid levels where they are going to destroy the basin again. Definitely didnt deal with refugees we still have locked up for 7 years. Definitely relied on consultation but had no follow through. Would have picked him over Shorten still.

Probably correct about getting a referendum on gay marriage but it's so utterly stupid voting on giving people the same rights as others. But then we literally did the same for aboriginal voting which SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GIVEN. It shows you how far we were behind and how far we have come.

Also, what the hell is Albo doing. Talk about a wet blanket with nothing to say or believe in
I'd personally agree with that. Though I think better of Howard (not a good person, but a good politician) and worse of Morrison (not a good person and not a good politician).

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This is just more of Trump pandering to his white supremacist base- you know, the snowflakes with fragile egos who absolutely flip out when anyone besides them is given credit for, or celebrated for, anything. They need to constantly hear how awesome they are for being white Americans, and how the world was just horrible until white Americans came along and made it better.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It’s complicated. There’s a lot of federal funding to consider, and the text book industry is highly monolithic. It’s very easy for the federal government to control what students are taught in the average public school without actually having the administrative ties to provide them with consequences or responsibilities for the failures of their enforcements.
With Texas in control of many of the textbooks for the Nation, it would not surprise me at all if they tie this into everything giving schools little to no options.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Off the top of my head, the 1619 project claimed that the American Revolution was waged to preserve slavery. A number of historians came down on that claim, hard. Also, since its core premise (later revised) was that the "real founding" of the United States was in 1619 simply due to the arrival of slaves, from one continent that already had slavery, to another continent that already had slavery, is spurious (which isn't to say that slavery isn't relevant to US history).

I don't have a horse in this race, but considering that the 1776 Project was launched as a counterpoint to the project, long before anything Trump said or did, then, yeah. History's always open to interpretation, but, well, welcome to the history wars I guess. Pull up a seat and have a cold one, we're in extra time.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Off the top of my head, the 1619 project claimed that the American Revolution was waged to preserve slavery. A number of historians came down on that claim, hard. Also, since its core premise (later revised) was that the "real founding" of the United States was in 1619 simply due to the arrival of slaves, from one continent that already had slavery, to another continent that already had slavery, is spurious (which isn't to say that slavery isn't relevant to US history).

I don't have a horse in this race, but considering that the 1776 Project was launched as a counterpoint to the project, long before anything Trump said or did, then, yeah. History's always open to interpretation, but, well, welcome to the history wars I guess. Pull up a seat and have a cold one, we're in extra time.
I feel like we're in the eighty eight millionth minute of extra time with this shit

Reactions: MrCalavera

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I think this discussion is leading to a bigger problem with big government in general. The bigger they are, the more say they have in matters you may consider personal. I don't think the Fed will try to impose anything on local schools by force. They'll just withhold funds you already paid into that the school needs.

So now, we have schools that respond oddly to students displaying a "blue lives matter" flag on the one hand, and an erasure of US sins on the other.
Big Government aint Burger King. You can't have it your way.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Off the top of my head, the 1619 project claimed that the American Revolution was waged to preserve slavery.
Considering how long the institution lasted in the United States as compared to the British Empire from which it seceded, that's not a terribly implausible claim, especially with respect to the southern colonies and especially considering the slave revolts that were happening in the Caribbean, the legal decisions in England that alarmed plantation owners, and the prominent role the preservation of slavery enjoys in the US Constitution as it was first written. Preserving slavery was enough to get the southern states to go to war less than a century later. And it was undoubtedly a big motivation for the southern colonies to fight for independence.

A number of historians came down on that claim, hard.
That doesn't actually mean that something is fiction. It just means that there are historians with strong opinions.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

At least they chose that, in a system that mostly left them free to do so from multiple options available. That's very different from official education by state fiat.
Yeah, and it's ofcourse higher education, when students already have their formative years behind him. It's extra nefarious when you poison children with propaganda, doesn't really matter which side it's from. Children in particular should be teached the value of historic context not a politicized narrative. But I guess that's impossible in this day and age.