Trump's Plan to Bypass the Popular Vote

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Legally they’re chosen by the states
Yeah but I think they are mostly chosen by the parties in the states but a few are appointed by the governors I think.

Yeah, it sounds like this isn't the kind of thing they can really manipulate.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I'm a Republican in a republic. Why would one expect me to believe strongly in democracy? I'm quite supportive of the systems that mitigate the questionable bits of democracy.
We think in America that it is necessary to introduce the people into every department of government as far as they are capable of exercising it; and that this is the only way to ensure a long-continued and honest administration of it's powers.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Yeah but I think they are mostly chosen by the parties in the states but a few are appointed by the governors I think.

Yeah, it sounds like this isn't the kind of thing they can really manipulate.
He already did in 2016. Trump had like 50 illegally seated electoral college members..

He is planning on exploiting loopholes created when he claims the election was fraudulent that may allow the state's legislature to appoint the electors directly.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I have a list of communists in the government right here! I got it right here but I can't show it to anyone!
You realize that these " sources" have been coming out when they leave Trump's administration right? It isn't like anyone is denying this are they? Trump had 50 illegally seated electors in 2016 as it is. We have had steady stream of them revealing themselves for weeks now. Have you not been paying attention? They ARE showing themselves silly. Just keep waiting, there has been a constant stream at this point. They have all been joining the Lincoln project, or have you not paid attention?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't know, are people really going to riot for Joe Biden? That seems optimistic.
If's it's blantely obvious the results of the election were bypassed to benefit the current government, yeah, people are gonna be pissed. Trump is deeply disliked by a very large part of the country and the elections are a safety valve of sort.

America might survive(though that would be doubtful as well) but it won't be a democracy/republic/whatever you want to call it anymore, at least not in anything other then name. You can't tell 60% of the electorate, who are already seething from the last 4 years for many, many reasons, to fuck off and not expect them to just accept it.

Even if the military were to say "Fuck you, Trump" and arrest him, that's still a very bad place to democracy to be in and it takes a long time to come back from that, if it ever does.

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted20220709

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
America might survive(though that would be doubtful as well) but it won't be a democracy/republic/whatever you want to call it anymore, at least not in anything other then name. You can't tell 60% of the electorate, who are already seething from the last 4 years for many, many reasons, to fuck off and not expect them to just accept it.
I agree with you for the most part, but this is Biden we're talking about. The people most energized for his candidacy seem to be constitutionally incapable of property crime or confronting cops.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I agree with you for the most part, but this is Biden we're talking about. The people most energized for his candidacy seem to be constitutionally incapable of property crime or confronting cops.
And yet he still beat out Bernie who people were super excited about, twice and he lost twice.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I do believe he may be correct in that the state legislatures can replace the electors, so it is a genuine concern we may be forced to address.
Depends on the state and how its laws regarding the selection of electors are written. In some of them yes, in most no except in very specific cases (for example, what if Trump dies during the week after 12/8?).

Trump and the GOP stacked the courts just for this..
...and all it takes is the courts going "you know what? The law as written is irrelevant, just do whatever benefits Trump!"

Which isn't generally how that works? Even Bush v Gore was decided based on some generally wholly reasonable positions (I've noticed it's difficult for someone to give me a reason they disagree with Bush v Gore other than "it made Bush president" - it basically boiled down to using different rules to count different parts of a state being an equal protection violation, the federal deadline on choosing electors is enforceable and there wasn't enough time before said deadline to complete a recount that wasn't an equal protection violation).

He already did in 2016. Trump had like 50 illegally seated electoral college members..
You make it sound like those electors should have gone to Democrats when more accurately they just weren't properly vetted in accordance with their state's laws to make sure they lived in the right counties, didn't hold an elected office, etc. Basically, had it been done correctly to begin with it wouldn't have had any impact on the results, it just would have meant the specific GOP loyalists doing the voting would have been a slightly different group.

An interesting question though: has any state ever outright lost electoral votes over that kind of thing? Because the move being made there was to argue that those electors were improperly picked and therefore should be thrown out and not replaced so that no candidate would have 270 and thus the House would choose the President.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Which isn't generally how that works? Even Bush v Gore was decided based on some generally wholly reasonable positions (I've noticed it's difficult for someone to give me a reason they disagree with Bush v Gore other than "it made Bush president" - it basically boiled down to using different rules to count different parts of a state being an equal protection violation, the federal deadline on choosing electors is enforceable and there wasn't enough time before said deadline to complete a recount that wasn't an equal protection violation).
That's because a fair chunk of jurisprudence is about having a two or more reasonable options, and judges deciding which one they prefer. All rulings therefore appear reasonable. But that doesn't mean that one reasonable option was picked because it was the most reasonable legal argument, as it could as easily be the fact it suited a judge's political or social biases.

If we take the idea that an intelligent person is merely someone who can come up with better than average reasons to believe the wrong thing, we might argue that that great judge is one who can make their biases law whilst seeming as unbiased as possible.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think you're giving way WAY too much credit to Republicans, their supporters and their loyalty to an actual democratic election. Republicans are the John McClanne of political parties - sure following the rules is all well and good, until it stops you from doing what you want to do. And at that part they just start shooting.
I wouldn't put it past Republicans to on Election night say that blue states are no longer counted in the electoral college and if Trump wins red states that enough to declare victory.
And whose gonna stop them? The supreme court? Congress? The justice department? California? To quote Bill Maher: "We're on the honor system and Republicans are fresh out of honor."

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Which isn't generally how that works? Even Bush v Gore was decided based on some generally wholly reasonable positions (I've noticed it's difficult for someone to give me a reason they disagree with Bush v Gore other than "it made Bush president" - it basically boiled down to using different rules to count different parts of a state being an equal protection violation, the federal deadline on choosing electors is enforceable and there wasn't enough time before said deadline to complete a recount that wasn't an equal protection violation)..
So Roger Stone organised a bunch of people at the electoral office in Miami-Dade. He got them to interfere with the officers and tried to break in. A part of the case was whether the recount chain of custody was still intact. Bush v Gore decided that the chain of custody had been broken even though no one unofficial actually got inside. Thus the recount was abandoned and Bush won by default.

So a riot was created to at least give the appearance of interference in the counting. Instead of, say, providing more security to make sure the count was done legitimately, the Supreme Court decided not to try at all.

Reactions: lil devils x