Trying to get into Doctor Who, failing...

yoshiru

Mar 7, 2011
If you're that stingy about shows. Watch the entire Season 3. Then go back and start at Season 1 again.

(and I mean season 1 2005 ERA.. not the one from the 60s)

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Slowpool said:
As the others have said, stick with it. Once it gets to David Tennant, you'll see why so many people love it these days.
Should I just skip to the next season, or do I need to watch this season to understand everything. Also, are any of the old Dr. Who shows worth watching?
You really should watch Eccleston's season, since things from that point on make reference to it every now and then. Usually it's just a joke or two, but some important character issues are expanded on that don't make much sense unless you have at least a basic understanding of what's been going on. Alas, I'm not so much a fanatic that I can tell you exactly which episodes to watch to get the most out of the first season without wasting time on the other ones, but I'm sure someone could.

As for the old series, no, I don't think it's necessary. They sort of make the new ones so that you can start from "Rose" without needing much background info. It helps to have it, I'm sure, but you'll be fine.

Are they WORTH watching? Probably. I wouldn't know much about it, since I can;t really stand them now that I've been through the new ones.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
That's odd, the girl I like really likes Doctor Who too. And I'm trying really hard to get into Doctor Who, too!

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Heh. I'm not the only one. Though, to be brutally honest, I have no desire to give it a go. From what I have seen of it, the effects are terrible and I can't help but think of every "Power Rangers" series there has been (so many series and episodes yet there has been no sign of improvement in regards to CGI), the acting doesn't seem to excel past "school play star" material and... just seems so boring to me.

Eh. To each his/her own!

x

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
That's odd, the girl I like really likes Doctor Who too. And I'm trying really hard to get into Doctor Who, too!
Wait a minute, my name is Eric, and I was born on March 4, 1993 too. It's like we're the same, OH SHI-

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
TimeLord said:
I suggest you watch more than just 'Rose'. It was basically a pilot for the reboot. The second episode, 'End of the World' is much better. Some of the best episodes are Eccleston's; 'Dalek', 'The Empty Child', 'Father's Day'.

I actually think Eccleston has the best brilliant-to-crap story ratio of any individual series so far.

Slowpool said:
As the others have said, stick with it. Once it gets to David Tennant, you'll see why so many people love it these days.
Should I just skip to the next season, or do I need to watch this season to understand everything. Also, are any of the old Dr. Who shows worth watching?
No, no, no. Eccleston is brilliant. Tennant is great, yes, but Eccleston sets up the series brilliantly and makes you care about the Doctor's character before he changes to Tennant.
I disagree with you completely. Eccleston is crap. He's cocky, bland, and thinks he's hilarious ("hey guise, I'm talking to a banana LOL SO FUNNY"). Then again, talent is in the eye of the beholder, so to each his own. I offered my opinion to the OP because he and I seem to have a similar view of Eccleston' first ep.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
That is the first episode. It does get better. Look up the Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. Same season, amazing writer. Seriously.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Quaxar said:
You are used to big-budget Hollywood productions, it's another kind of production quality.
But yeah, you fail to understand the brilliance. It's hopeless. Better give up and go back to OC California.

If you wanna try it though and don't mind confusing stuff like that the Doctor and his companions might be other ones and you have no idea who they are you can watch single episodes though. I would suggest just sitting through a few consecutive episodes from the beginning but whatever.

> double episode The Empty Child (9th Doctor & Rose)
> Blink (10th Doctor & Martha, but not much focus)
> School Reunion (10th Doctor, Rose & Mickey plus Sarah Jane Smith)
> double episode The impossible planet (10th Doctor & Rose)
> Silence in the Library (10th Doctor & Donna)
> Midnight (10th Doctor & a bit Donna)
> Vincent (11th Doctor & Amy)
> double episode A Time of Angels (11th Doctor & Amy) - only after Blink

I think that's fine now. Enough choice.
Thanks for the list. ^_^

As long as continuity isn't a huge problem, I'd rather skip to the best episodes. I'll go back and watch the rest if these are any good. And yeah, Hollywood trains you to like Hollywood material, it's weird watching other stuff...
Gonna add my own recommendations, watch Human Nature and Family of Blood, that is probably the best two parter episode of new who also watch The Girl in the Fireplace which is another great episode.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Wait a minute, my name is Eric, and I was born on March 4, 1993 too. It's like we're the same, OH SHI-
i'm ... eric ... too O_O

anyway,

I agree. The gf said it was all great and I'm just not much for it. I love dry humor, I love scifi, the effects just put me off and it seems like the doc takes care of things every time. Other char have their hand in the solutions sometimes, but it's the 'oh I happen to have the tool just for this' thing that turns me off.

Tho, I dig dbz so what the hell am I talking about right? New baddy! Oh, I just learned new skill #673! Well, save the planet then!

pleh, entertainment nowadays

suicide samurai

Jul 17, 2009
I'm in the "stick with it" camp. Eccleston might not be as "zany" as Tennant was, or Smith is, but it set's up the character progression quite well.

Think of the 9th doctor (Eccelston) as being a grumpy old War vet with not much to live for. The 10th Doctor (Tennant), as a man who's found a reason to live, and the 11th doc (Matt Smith) as, well... he pretty much seems like Tennant to me, but I'm a season behind, now.

And remember, these are all the same character, but with slightly different perspectives--at least that's one way to put it.

While you don't have to watch the previous 25 or so years of the series to get a lot of what comes, you really should start with the first series of the re-boot. There are pay-offs in future seasons which build off of the first season.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Foxpack1 said:
If you like more psychological horror watch the 2 parter: Flesh and Stone and The Time of Angels.
Although you really should watch Blink first. It was my introduction to the series and it's actually a pretty good starting point. You know, so long as you don't mind never closing your eyes ever again.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Hey guys, since some of my friends/this girl I really like/the non-American part of the internet always talks about Doctor Who, I decided to get on Netflix and give it a try. I saw an episode called "Rose" from the 2005 season, and honestly, it was really cheesy and underwhelming.

I know that Doctor Who has been on for umpteen years, so the quality probably fluctuates a bit. In which case, what are the best seasons/episodes to watch for first time viewers. Does the show get any better, or do I just fail to understand the brilliance of it? I'm from Texas, so I have a natural aversion to dry, British humor and non-hillbilly accents; that might be the problem here.
Don't listen to ZeZZZZevy, watching any more of that dreadful show will just kill your will to live. It doesn't get any better, the whole thing is just dripping with cheese, campness and just general terrible script-writing. There are a few episodes that have a half-way decent premise but they always end up introducing something that fucks it up.

Save yourself time and sanity and just re-watch Firefly instead (you have seen Firefly, haven't you?)...

SilentFlames26

Sep 9, 2011
It is really a bad place to start right now, my brother tried to get into it from Lets Kill Hitler and he gave up cause he was so confused even when I tried to explain it to him.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Rose was cheesy and naff. Give it a few episodes and you'll be hooked.

Watching S6p2 as a start is not a good idea, it's a tad weak until Closing Time.

Ruptuk

Nov 6, 2010
I am a Brit so I do get 'it' so this is my view.

Personally David Tennant was a much better doctor. His acting in Midnight was just amazing and it's one of the few episodes where it's all about just the doctor, no annoying companion to get in the way. I don't think 9th or 11th doctor could pull that off. I really like the episode 'Girl in the fire place'.

Another suggestion would be to start with Matt Smith series. Russel T Davies who produced all of 9TH and 10TH doctor episode left and handed over the reigns so it was a completely new style, doctor and producer with no ties to the past series. Plus catching up won't take too long.

I would also highly incourage you to see the 'The Empty Child' double as mentioned above because it was really well written and the child is a truely scary ('Are you my mummy?' /shivers)

Companions are important which is why sticking with the series if worth it. Rose becomes so involved with the doctor to the point she leaves with a big bag. The second, Martha is a little lame but shes fairly straight forward and Cathrine Tate was just annoying tbh. I really like Amy in the new series though but you need to start from her start which is when Matt Smith took the main role.

laol1999

Apr 15, 2010
I would suggest the episodes with tom baker and david tennant as the doctor, im not a big fan of the new guy and the other docters were good, but not as good as these 2 in my opinion

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I though tales from the table was crap too when it first came to the site, but now I think it's awesome. Give these guys a chance.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Hey... I'm from Texas and I have no such aversions that you speak of.

That being said... I agree with everyone else. You gotta watch more than one. I'm slowly but surely trying to catch up on the seasons. I just started number 3 of the new series. It's pretty good. I think. But I love the previous seasons too.

jopomeister

Apr 7, 2010
If you ask me, try the three first episodes of any Doctor, and then see if you like it any more. Personally, I was hooked when Tennant came around, but couldn't watch it all, and now Matt Smith is here, I'm enjoying it so much *?*