Trying to get into Doctor Who, failing...

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Don't watch the current series. Just don't. The current series hasn't got their original writer, so they pulled a complete idiot amateur out of the bag last minute.

Dr. Who is dreadful at the moment, wait until they get a better writer, it will improve.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
DaBozz said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
LobsterFeng said:
That's odd, the girl I like really likes Doctor Who too. And I'm trying really hard to get into Doctor Who, too!
Pro tip:
Don't get into something just because your girlfriend likes it.
also I recommend watching episodes with your girlfriend too, makes the experience much more fun.
However if you must watch it alone for god sake stay away from "Love and monsters" that's an awful episode....I personally started with "Bad Wolf" and "The Parting of the Ways"
I'm not really trying to impress anyone; I've heard it's a good show from multiple sources, including this forum before.

Oh, and she's not my girlfriend, just someone I talk with at work a lot. And this is just me and my weird logic, but "No way! I love Doctor Who too! We should watch the new episode together!" seems better than "No. I've never seen it. You should come over while I watch all the old episodes you've seen and try to get caught up."

Joby Baumann

Apr 19, 2011
Doctor who is sort of a love it or hate it show, and it does depend on the season, I personally preferred the episodes with Tennant as the doctor

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Read this:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-dr.-who-became-my-religion/

It might take a few episodes but it's good stuff.

Jaded_Muffin

Nov 8, 2010
hittite said:
Foxpack1 said:
If you like more psychological horror watch the 2 parter: Flesh and Stone and The Time of Angels.
Although you really should watch Blink first. It was my introduction to the series and it's actually a pretty good starting point. You know, so long as you don't mind never closing your eyes ever again.
Blink was my first episode too! It's a great intro because you don't have a whole lot of back story to worry about and it's just an all around good episode. It got me interested.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Quaxar said:
You are used to big-budget Hollywood productions, it's another kind of production quality.
But yeah, you fail to understand the brilliance. It's hopeless. Better give up and go back to OC California.

If you wanna try it though and don't mind confusing stuff like that the Doctor and his companions might be other ones and you have no idea who they are you can watch single episodes though. I would suggest just sitting through a few consecutive episodes from the beginning but whatever.

> double episode The Empty Child (9th Doctor & Rose)
> Blink (10th Doctor & Martha, but not much focus)
> School Reunion (10th Doctor, Rose & Mickey plus Sarah Jane Smith)
> double episode The impossible planet (10th Doctor & Rose)
> Silence in the Library (10th Doctor & Donna)
> Midnight (10th Doctor & a bit Donna)
> Vincent (11th Doctor & Amy)
> double episode A Time of Angels (11th Doctor & Amy) - only after Blink

I think that's fine now. Enough choice.
You missed out Dalek. I am ashamed.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Don't feel too bad. I tried to get into My Little Pony, but I can't even sit through the first episode because of it's Diabetes for the eyes imagery, boring plot, only mildly amusing jokes, and characters I honestly can't relate to what with them being Female Stereotypes and I am a dude. I understand others like the show, I just can't get into it. And I know I can't get into Dr. Who, because I am not really into Sci-Fi (Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other kind of Sci-Fi). Again; I know other people like/love the show, it's just not my thing.

Don't be so hard on yourself man. It's different strokes for different folks, or so the saying goes.

Bioluminescence

Dec 2, 2010
It's definitely not a show for everyone. I personally just find it...well, stupid. I've watched quite a bit of it because my friends are obsessed with it, but I've never enjoyed it. So you're not alone if you give Dr. Who an honest try and don't like it.

StrawHat

Aug 5, 2011
I completely understand. I used to watch the old doctor who series and thought the new doctor looked too much like that transporter guy.

Each time I try to watch the new doctor who I get that agatha christie wasp episode.

The newest doctor seems too dorky to even watch. I was never a bully, but I want too steal his lunch money and give him a wedgie.

Don't get me started with too much gay in 'touch wood'.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Also, are any of the old Dr. Who shows worth watching?
Old stuff, well there are a couple that are pretty good. Bear in mind that they had all of like 4£ put towards special effects, so it's all a bit cheesy. Tom Baker (4th Doctor) is one of the most iconic Doctors, and the best serial of his that I have seen is "Genesis of the Daleks" You can only get it on DVD through Netflix though. In addition, just today I watched a Peter Davison (5th Doctor) serial called "Caves of Androzani" which many consider to be the best of the old series. It had one EXTREMELY cheesy special effect, but there was decent action, good acting, and a well-written story. However, it really isn't important at all to see the old stuff to understand the new stuff. The new series stands on its own.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Tharwen said:
Quaxar said:
You are used to big-budget Hollywood productions, it's another kind of production quality.
But yeah, you fail to understand the brilliance. It's hopeless. Better give up and go back to OC California.

If you wanna try it though and don't mind confusing stuff like that the Doctor and his companions might be other ones and you have no idea who they are you can watch single episodes though. I would suggest just sitting through a few consecutive episodes from the beginning but whatever.

> double episode The Empty Child (9th Doctor & Rose)
> Blink (10th Doctor & Martha, but not much focus)
> School Reunion (10th Doctor, Rose & Mickey plus Sarah Jane Smith)
> double episode The impossible planet (10th Doctor & Rose)
> Silence in the Library (10th Doctor & Donna)
> Midnight (10th Doctor & a bit Donna)
> Vincent (11th Doctor & Amy)
> double episode A Time of Angels (11th Doctor & Amy) - only after Blink

I think that's fine now. Enough choice.
You missed out Dalek. I am ashamed.
Rather I missed it at first and then was too lazy to edit it in. But yeah, Dalek totally belongs in there as well.If not just for the explanation of flying Daleks...