Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

It turns out that Mother Nature is to blame for the minimal amount of DLC that Capcom released for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

This week's unveiling of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 was a bit of a surprise to fans of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, since there hasn't been much post-release DLC for the latter yet. According to producer Ryota Niitsuma, this was because the tsunami that hit the country in March.

Speaking to Destructoid at Comic-Con, Niitsuma explained that the game's development team actually planned to release a lot of DLC for the game, but mother nature got in the way, which "threw off our whole development schedule":

"After the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 there were plans to release DLC. But, as you know, less than a month after the game was released we had the earthquake and tsunami in Japan."

As a result, Capcom decided to release the proposed DLC on a new disc, along with adjusted gameplay, new content, and and a spectator mode. As a result, the makeup of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is split "about half and half" between the originally-planned DLC and completely new content.

Source: <a href=http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-interview-niitsuma-on-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-206630.phtml>Destructoid

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
somehow i find this hard to believe. They had time to make a whole new disc yet couldn't work out DLC? I'm not saying they are lying but it doesn't make any sense to me.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
I don't see any truth in that statement. If they had the means to make new characters, fix game problems like character balance, get new disks printed and new case art made, they had to have some means of getting that game code to American shores, virtually or not.

If they can transport anything game-wise from Japan to the US via the net, and I imagine some stuff from this new version came here that way, then this seems more like an excuse for why they will not make it DLC versus why they truly cannot.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
chuckey said:
somehow i find this hard to believe. They had time to make a whole new disc yet couldn't work out DLC? I'm not saying they are lying but it doesn't make any sense to me.
Agreed. Who is to say they couldn't release the DLC at a later time and patch the game with a Title Update.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
*Blinks*

What?

*Blinks again*

I'm still not paying $40 dollars for that new disk, Capcom.
Your move, Mr. Niitsuma.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I don't see how this connects any of the dots. How, exactly, does the earthquakes make the DLC option out of the question?

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
So, originally, we would have been expected to pay $5 each and take up room on our hard drives. Instead of paying $70 (14 characters), we pay 40. Capcom makes more money because people won't pick-and-choose their characters, and we get a better price per character...especially considering the possibility of a trade in bonus.

Win-win?

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Capcom does something stupid again, makes complete non sequitur excuse, why are you such a bad liar Capcom?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Screw it. The trade in for my current version plus the coupon from my powerup rewards will pay this crap off. I'm just waiting to see if I break or not.

*shakes fist at Capcom*

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
They're using the tragedy of the Tsunami as an excuse to rip everyone off?

That is low. Even by Activision standards.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Whats even more tragic is the fact that if the Tsunami did in fact screw up their schedules no one would believe them. Oh hey did people forget that HUMAN BEINGS MAKE GAMES!

Good god did nobody think that maybe some of their developers called in and said "yeah you know I'd love to come into work today but my house is ruined/destroyed and I cant actually get their through the swarms of people, I'm trying to figure out where I'll live and or, try to see if my friends or family survived" Nobody thought of that? Really? Everyone just assumes their lying to cover their asses?

Thats rather dissapointing I kind of hoped people would assume that schedules change, shit happens. Instead of working to release it piecemeal they wait till they can get their shit together after a disaster and release a ton of content all at once. The amount we'd be paying for new modes and characters (mostly them at $5, hand over $70 for all of them at current nickel and diming prices)

Sure they could have kept going with their original plan to release DLC after the disaster, but if they lost data during the disaster, or they just couldn't get the data out for awhile then I can see where they would consider saying "alright well instead of releasing it a little at a time why dont we just update the whole damn game add a ton of new characters and mode and offer it all at once in a single package." I guarantee you any other company would charge through the nose for the amount of stuff in the Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 game.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
First off I can understand releasing another game. However, I cannot fathom on why Capcom just doesn't release a title patch to include all the new modes, ability to fight the new characters without needing them, and balancing for free, and in addition releasing a $20 or less dlc with the additional fighters that will be on UMVC3. You attract new players with the newly boxed game without alienating the ones who already bought the first MVC3. It scares me to think that the folks at NetherRealm are doing the responsible thing be actually balancing the game and releasing additional content. In addition, when a new character is released, the offer a free patch with addition of free perks such as alternate costumes.

Back to the releasing the same content in a new package, hell RPG companies do that all the time with Ultimate Editions (DAO) or GOTY Editions (Fallout 3).

Another reason why this makes me mad is because since you guys plan to release this game in November of this year, you just alienated the whole entire MVC3 community because the new release will likely mean no more support for MVC3. Essentially, you killed one fairly resent game, to release the same game, with a paint job and body work. FOR SHAME CAPCOM!

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
Is that also your excuse for AAI2 not being localized and canceling Mega Man Legends 3? Uh huh...

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
starwarsgeek said:
So, originally, we would have been expected to pay $5 each and take up room on our hard drives. Instead of paying $70 (14 characters), we pay 40. Capcom makes more money because people won't pick-and-choose their characters, and we get a better price per character...especially considering the possibility of a trade in bonus.

Win-win?
I know! Paying less for more content. I can't understand why people are whining about this.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
"We couldn't be arsed to bring you DLC. Instead we wanted to rehash the same shit and release it as another edition for more money."

"In 8 months? time we'll bring out the Super Ultimate Arcade Edition and blame global warming for the lack of DLC"

My response? Screw you Capcom!