Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Ninjamedic said:
DustyDrB said:
Has any other Japanese developer released an unfinished game and then re-released a version of it that isn't cross-compatible with the original only nine months later?
So that's a no then?
And likewise?
I was actually asking if another dev used the excuse. Since I didn't hear anything of the sort.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Ninjamedic said:
DustyDrB said:
Ninjamedic said:
DustyDrB said:
Has any other Japanese developer released an unfinished game and then re-released a version of it that isn't cross-compatible with the original only nine months later?
So that's a no then?
And likewise?
I was actually asking if another dev used the excuse. Since I didn't hear anything of the sort.
No other developer has used this excuse for releasing disc content rather than a DLC option that I know of.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Still a dick move Capcom. It must suck for all the thousands of people who bought the original game.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Any delays? How is that relevant to what Capcom is doing? I sure hope the nine month later re-release wasn't meant to be a five month later one, but was delayed.

I feel like you have a point you're trying to get to. Can you just say it rather than have this back-and-forth thing?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008

Capcom has five facilities in Japan, two in Tokyo, Two in Osaka, One in Iga. All are in central Japan. NO WHERE NEAR THE AFFECTED AREA'S.

The Tsunami did damage many of the reactors that Tokyo Electric utilizes, as a result the Kanto Region is only running at 30 MW instead of the usual 40. Over 200,000 People in the Kanto region are still without power.

Highways and railways in the region were all seriously damaged, though Tokyo Airport and Harbor remains open.

This is a terrible humanitarian crisis with great Economic cost. It also has very little to do with Capcom. How crass to use it as an exscuse.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

I would be more inclined to believe Capcom if they didn't have a history of re-releasing the same fighting games with a few minor tweaks over and over again for the price of a new game (Street Fighter 2, anyone?).

This just sounds like they're using the tragedy of the tsunami as a lame and insensitive way to justify a shameless attempt to fleece people of their money.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Is this why Super Street Fighter IV came out? Was there another Tsunami that I didn't hear about...

EDIT: The stupid thing is people will still buy it, convincing Capcom that they are making the correct decisions involving add-on content. It would be nice if people were to actually put their money where their mouth is and stop supporting terrible business policies...

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
Short version: ಠ_ಠ

Long version: There must be some step missing between "tsunami struck us" and "we couldn't make DLC available". It's data, not something tangible, so as long as said data wasn't completely wiped out, then I don't see what the two events have to do with each other. If you lost the means by which you COULD make the content available to download, I can understand that. But it's not clear right now that A directly caused B. So...

ಠ_ಠ

Oct 30, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Any delays? How is that relevant to what Capcom is doing? I sure hope the nine month later re-release wasn't meant to be a five month later one, but was delayed.

I feel like you have a point you're trying to get to. Can you just say it rather than have this back-and-forth thing?

The point (I assume) is a hypothetical like this:

1. Capcom was planning on releasing smaller DLC once a month (or whatever).
2. Tsunami!
3. In some way or another, either the development or the distribution of the DLC is disrupted.
4. Back to work but with a backlog of what was going to be DLC content.
5. either:

A) Go back to once a month schedule, DLC releases will be late when compared to original plan
or
B) Release all the content at once, to keep up with something resembling the original plan

Of course, this doesn't prove anything*, but I think it shows Capcom MIGHT be more or less honest in this case.

*Nor would it explain why they couldn't make a massive DLC as well as a new disc. Maybe MSoft or Sony has limits on download size?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:

2. Tsunami!
3. In some way or another, either the development or the distribution of the DLC is disrupted.
5. either:

A) Go back to once a month schedule, DLC releases will be late when compared to original plan
or
B) Release all the content at once, to keep up with something resembling the original plan

Of course, this doesn't prove anything*, but I think it shows Capcom MIGHT be more or less honest in this case.

*Nor would it explain why they couldn't make a massive DLC as well as a new disc. Maybe MSoft or Sony has limits on download size?
If Sony/MS have DL size limits, why not just say that and let fans be mad at Sony/MS instead of them?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:

2. Tsunami!
5. either:

or

Thanks for getting to the point (if it was what his was).
My problems with UMvC3 are things they can't blame on the earthquake, though. For instance, the character roster was pretty drastically reduced from MvC2 to begin with, and there were token modes (like Spectator) missing. Go back and read what people were saying at the game's launch and you'll consistently see criticisms concerning a lack of content or about the game feeling unfinished. The earthquake had nothing to do with that.

The earthquake also had nothing to do with the decision to re-release the game only nine months after the original. That's a short amount of time even for a fighting game, and the MvC series isn't one that has had any updates in its past anyway.

I don't know about a XBL or PSN content limit. I know I've downloaded some big DLC from XBL though, such as Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. I don't know how big it was in GB, though. UMvC3 does add a good bit, but I don't think it is worth it for most players. Unless I'm far off and most players do buy every single DLC character. I figured people just choose a few.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Ninjamedic said:
Furioso said:
Yea that's also ridiculous, but it still doesn't excuse capcom
Yet Capcom are the ones being crucified.
Yes because you have the option of choosing what you want in MK. There's no choice with UMvC3. If you want Ghost Rider or Phoenix Wright or Vergil then you have to buy every other character with them.

If there was a DLC option, I don't think people would be extremely bothered about UMvC3 being released for $40 on disc. Especially when it would probably cost more to buy it all individually.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
DustyDrB said:
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:

2. Tsunami!
5. either:

or

My problems with UMvC3 are things they can't blame on the earthquake, though. For instance, the character roster was pretty drastically reduced from MvC2 to begin with, and there were token modes (like Spectator) missing. Go back and read what people were saying at the game's launch and you'll consistently see criticisms concerning a lack of content or about the game feeling unfinished. The earthquake had nothing to do with that.

The earthquake also had nothing to do with the decision to re-release the game only nine months after the original. That's a short amount of time even for a fighting game, and the MvC series isn't one that has had any updates in its past anyway.

I don't know about a XBL or PSN content limit. I know I've downloaded some big DLC from XBL though, such as Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. I don't know how big it was in GB, though. UMvC3 does add a good bit, but I don't think it is worth it for most players. Unless I'm far off and most players do buy every single DLC character. I figured people just choose a few.
Apart from the brilliant Dragon Age example, I'd even bring up the argument that you can buy entire games (some very big ones too) from PSN and XBL so it's not like there's small content limits when it comes to games either.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Ninjamedic said:
Furioso said:
Yea that's also ridiculous, but it still doesn't excuse capcom
Yet Capcom are the ones being crucified.
Yes because you have the option of choosing what you want in MK. There's no choice with UMvC3. If you want Ghost Rider or Phoenix Wright or Vergil then you have to buy every other character with them.

If there was a DLC option, I don't think people would be extremely bothered about UMvC3 being released for $40 on disc. Especially when it would probably cost more to buy it all individually.

Oct 30, 2010
DustyDrB said:
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:

2. Tsunami!
5. either:

or

I don't play the game so I can't comment much, granted the earthquake did not impact the quality of the initial release.

Not necessarily. It is possible that the re-release (or such a quick re-release) was always planned and DLC was withheld to make the Ultimate version more enticing. But I think it is also possible the re-relase is what Capcom thought was the best response to actual disruptions stemming from the earthquake.

I don't play Capcom games. From these threads, fans do seem to have real concern with some of their business practices. They may be well justified in thinking the worst. My only position is that there is a possible sequence of events in which Capcom is being honest. Even if they are being honest, that does not mean a re-release is the "best response*." It raises very interesting questions about the balance of rewarding fan loyalty (releasing the dlc in packages to pick and choose) and attracting new customers (re-release).

As for the XBL/PSN comment, that was 100% speculation on my part. You are right though, I've downloaded huge files on Xbox live (Bayonetta) too. Maybe (and I'm grasping at straws) there are different size limits for DLC versus games.

To emphasize, I'm not saying Capcom is trustworthy, just that their claim is credible. Think the boy who cried wolf. Lots of reason not to trust him, but the possibility of an actual wolf attack is not influenced by his prior lies.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Lord_Jaroh said:
Is this why Super Street Fighter IV came out? Was there another Tsunami that I didn't hear about...

EDIT: The stupid thing is people will still buy it, convincing Capcom that they are making the correct decisions involving add-on content. It would be nice if people were to actually put their money where their mouth is and stop supporting terrible business policies...
Well , I'm going to buy it , but only because , i didnt buy the original , and i get the Ultimate uber version for less than the original cost . GO ME ! But yeah if this keeps up Capcom will go out of business because no one will buy any game they release within 6 months of the release date.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Seeing as the early adopters of MvC3 have already paid for a good deal of the content already in the "Ultimate" edition it would only be fair of Capcom to possibly release an "Ultimate DLC Pack" that upgrades the original game to the "Ultimate Edition" and only charge 20 dollars. To do anything less is nothing short of a huge dick move. Furthermore, it makes them appear to be attempting to force all of their early adopters into paying 100 dollars all said and done for the same game people will be able to get in one tidy bundle for 40 dollars.

While the burden certainly lies on Capcom to do the right thing and offer a DLC option I feel an even bigger burden lies on the shoulders of gamers. If early adopters choose to ***** and moan and then ultimately buy the Ultimate version anyway then they have nobody to blame but themselves when Capcom pulls the same stunt with their next game.

As gamers we love to complain and talk a big game but typically when push comes to shove we hand over our money. It doesn't matter how much people complain as long as sales numbers are good. To quote one of the main fellas from Eve Online these companies "look at what their players DO and less at what they SAY". Bottom line, we gamers need to stand up and not give in to every half cocked scheme these companies come up with to separate us from our money. They only pull these sorts of things because in the end after all the bitching is over they ultimately have our money and that's all they care about.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Here's an idea, everyone, if you want the characters, buy the disc. If you don't, don't.

Plain and simple.