Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

Sabazios

Mar 21, 2010
I initially thought that because of the mention of the tsunami, people would be too afraid to call bullshit, as they would be branded insensitive.

I'm glad that hasn't happened

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
krazykidd said:
Lord_Jaroh said:
Is this why Super Street Fighter IV came out? Was there another Tsunami that I didn't hear about...

EDIT: The stupid thing is people will still buy it, convincing Capcom that they are making the correct decisions involving add-on content. It would be nice if people were to actually put their money where their mouth is and stop supporting terrible business policies...
Well , I'm going to buy it , but only because , i didnt buy the original , and i get the Ultimate uber version for less than the original cost . GO ME ! But yeah if this keeps up Capcom will go out of business because no one will buy any game they release within 6 months of the release date.
I hope they learn before that. But considering their track record dealing with DLC vs pressing a new disc...I really doubt they will.

I would like to buy their games (the new Dragon's Dogma has me intrigued), but the way they treat their customers as walking money pits...I don't know if I can support them. I guess only the future will tell, but since Japanese developers seem to avoid listening to anything the Western world says, ideas like this will fall on deaf ears...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:
Any delays? How is that relevant to what Capcom is doing? I sure hope the nine month later re-release wasn't meant to be a five month later one, but was delayed.

I feel like you have a point you're trying to get to. Can you just say it rather than have this back-and-forth thing?
snippity doo da
snippity day
now you're gonna have that song in your head all day
I was sort of hinting that they intended to re-release the game so soon all along. And their intention to do that so soon is what I have the biggest problem with (as it splits the community, affecting those of us who don't care about DLC characters and don't intend to buy the re-release). I don't doubt that the earthquake and its aftermath affected their plans. But their plans are the thing I take most issue with from the start. Those things (release an unfinished game- wait six months - re-release it, incompatible with the original) were going to happen with or without the disaster.

Oct 30, 2010
DustyDrB said:
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:
4173 said:
DustyDrB said:
Any delays? How is that relevant to what Capcom is doing? I sure hope the nine month later re-release wasn't meant to be a five month later one, but was delayed.

I feel like you have a point you're trying to get to. Can you just say it rather than have this back-and-forth thing?
snippity doo da
snippity day
now you're gonna have that song in your head all day
I was sort of hinting that they intended to re-release the game so soon all along. And their intention to do that so soon is what I have the biggest problem with (as it splits the community, affecting those of us who don't care about DLC characters and don't intend to buy the re-release). I don't doubt that the earthquake and its aftermath affected their plans. But their plans are the thing I take most issue with from the start. Those things (release an unfinished game- wait six months - re-release it, incompatible with the original) were going to happen with or without the disaster.
Sure, I certainly can't refute any of that (without telepathy), and it seems clear you are better informed than I am to speculate on Capcom's character as a company (I hope that line doesn't come off as sarcasm, I'm sincere).

Cheers.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Umm... good? Releasing lots of DLC when you know you're just going to release a new version soon making the old one obsolete would be a real douche move.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
SageRuffin said:
Foolishness, Capcom. Foolishness. If not for Vergil being in this, I'd have gotten rid of my original MvC3 and never looked back a long time ago.
Vergils coming to MVC?

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
What's with you guys being dicks about this? Did you guys not bother to think maybe some employees were in the tsunami or their friends/family were? Besides it's 14 characters PLUS probably new stages PLUS 14 new pieces of music PLUS with no space being taken up on the hard drive PLUS for a reduced price tag of $40? Think of it this way, if you bought MVC3 for full price ($60) and had to download all those new characters in order to get the full experience online, that's looking at a price tag of $120 dollars. Now with Ultimate MVC3 we have a price tag of $40. Granted everyone who bought the original (Myself included) MIGHT pay $100 dollars but that can be avoided easily by trading the original copy at a store for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Look at that not much in the way of increased price now is it?

How come I didn't see ANYONE complain when Street Fighter II came out with 6 versions of itself? Also what's with the sudden hate for Capcom lately? Can't we have a game announcement without constant bitching?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
So whats their excuse for not just putting in characters that people have been asking for, for over a decade? Oh yeah thats right they got greedy and instead of making a large roster that the VS series had been famous for they withheld it for extra DLC profits. Tsunami didn't have shit to do with it.

Next time just put the characters on the fucking disc during development and there won't be a problem.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
ServebotFrank said:
What's with you guys being dicks about this? Did you guys not bother to think maybe some employees were in the tsunami or their friends/family were? Besides it's 14 characters PLUS probably new stages PLUS 14 new pieces of music PLUS with no space being taken up on the hard drive PLUS for a reduced price tag of $40? Think of it this way, if you bought MVC3 for full price ($60) and had to download all those new characters in order to get the full experience online, that's looking at a price tag of $120 dollars. Now with Ultimate MVC3 we have a price tag of $40. Granted everyone who bought the original (Myself included) MIGHT pay $100 dollars but that can be avoided easily by trading the original copy at a store for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Look at that not much in the way of increased price now is it?

How come I didn't see ANYONE complain when Street Fighter II came out with 6 versions of itself? Also what's with the sudden hate for Capcom lately? Can't we have a game announcement without constant bitching?
First off, the current trade in value at Gamestop for MVC3 is currently $8.00. Yeah such a big discount there huh? Frankly they should have price UMVC3 at full retail and offer the DLC package for those who already paid for the damn game.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
They are telling the truth though.
It was stated before the release that DLC was suppose to come out every other week, and it did, until a little while after the tsunami hit.

gphjr14 said:
So whats their excuse for not just putting in characters that people have been asking for, for over a decade? Oh yeah thats right they got greedy and instead of making a large roster that the VS series had been famous for they withheld it for extra DLC profits. Tsunami didn't have shit to do with it.

Next time just put the characters on the fucking disc during development and there won't be a problem.
They did put in characters people asked for. They even went so far as to buy the rights for Strider when it became clear the fans wanted him.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Jerry Pendleton said:
ServebotFrank said:

First off, the current trade in value at Gamestop for MVC3 is currently $8.00. Yeah such a big discount there huh? Frankly they should have price UMVC3 at full retail and offer the DLC package for those who already paid for the damn game.
Okay then smartass sell it. There's this magical little thing called the internet and on the internet we have ebay and Amazon. Sell it there for whatever people are willing to buy it for and the cost for Ultimate MVC3 will ultimately not cost much to you.

If that doesn't work then throw the game in a bin and fork over the money that could easily be raised by working a job. I'm fairly certain most day-jobs pay enough to warrant a $40 dollar purchase within the first 5 hours.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hitman Dread said:
It was stated before the release that DLC was suppose to come out every other week, and it did, until a little while after the tsunami hit.

gphjr14 said:

They did put in characters people asked for. They even went so far as to buy the rights for Strider when it became clear the fans wanted him.
But.. but... they didn't include MegaMan, so that males them EVILS!!!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have the special edition with the metal case... I'm not trading that in... I want DLC, not a new disc, this blows.

Are they going to have you able to spectate multiplayer matches? That bouncing fight card thing rubbed me the wrong way. It's annoying playing with a bunch of friends online, but not being able to see the fights. I'm gonna buy this... but I hate you for it Capcom. Don't be like the scum bag companies out there, you were one of my absolute favorites for a really long time.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
But.. but... they didn't include MegaMan, so that males them EVILS!!!
Megaman will never be in the game. There are even references to him not being in the game to show he'll never be there. In UMvC3 when Zero beats Ryu he says "If X were here he'd probably try and talk things through, unfortunetally for you, X isn't here." It's already been explained on several occasions that they want to translate characters from action games truthfully to MvC3, and doing so would mean Megaman would be a very boring to play, even for the most die hard megaman fans.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
ServebotFrank said:
Jerry Pendleton said:
ServebotFrank said:

Okay then smartass sell it. There's this magical little thing called the internet and on the internet we have ebay and Amazon. Sell it there for whatever people are willing to buy it for and the cost for Ultimate MVC3 will ultimately not cost much to you.

If that doesn't work then throw the game in a bin and fork over the money that could easily be raised by working a job. I'm fairly certain most day-jobs pay enough to warrant a $40 dollar purchase within the first 5 hours.
1. Selling one item online via eBay or Amazon doesn't make any logical sense due to the hidden costs of selling and the fact that this will be considered a part of your income taxes.
2. I do have a job. I however, do not want to pay money for the exact same game that has some added games modes (which should have been a part of the first game in the first place) and new characters.
3. Don't you find it a bit ridiculous that UMVC3 will be released on 9 months after MVC3 was released? We give Activision crap about this every time they release COD every year or EA releasing a sports game (Madden, FIFA, etc.) every year.
4. With the release of UMVC3 there wont be any support what so ever for MVC3 at all.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol suuure

but this is a rare case where I actually played a fighting game (friend's roommate had it so I popped in my HD and gave it a try)

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Jerry Pendleton said:
2. I do have a job. I however, do not want to pay money for the exact same game that has some added games modes (which should have been a part of the first game in the first place) and new characters.
Okay then don't buy it, it's not that big of a deal. It should be clear that UMvC3 isn't for you. It's primarily for the competitive scene. If you bought MvC3 and don't feel tempted to buy UMvC3, you aren't cheated.

And who are you to say what should and should have not been included in the first? This game was in production for the past 3 years. Millions of dollars were poored into it. Are you honestly telling me that you are more aware of the financial needs of the game? Adding any new features or charecters in a competitive fighting game would add quite a lot of development time, significantly increasing the cost for the developer.

And no, just because features were in SSFIV doesn't mean they should have been in MvC3 since both games were made with different engines and teams, and production of MvC3 started during the same time as SSFIV.

3. Don't you find it a bit ridiculous that UMVC3 will be released on 9 months after MVC3 was released? We give Activision crap about this every time they release COD every year or EA releasing a sports game (Madden, FIFA, etc.) every year.
Then you don't understand the complaints about those games at all. Those games are selling what should be free in most cases. The vast majority of Madden and Fifa are nothing more than minor changes to statistics.

Meanwhile UMvC3 adds new moves for nearly every character that use animations and models not on the original disc, 12 new characters, 8 stages, new modes, and a revised netcode.

No, these things couldn't be patched for free on, even with stages modes and characters being purchase only DLC. Microsoft and Sony charge ridiculous prices for free patches, and Microsoft won't allow some material to be patches, such as new material like animations and models. This would mean that the team would have to do DLC MOVES. Could you imagine how awful that would be?

The ONLY reason you should need to buy this game day 1 anyway is if you are a competitive player. If you are not, then you have no reason to wait till you feel is an appropriate time to buy the game. Yet, competitive players are very stoked for this game at all levels. Despite the fact that they will be the ones forced to purchase day 1, we've heard mostly positive responses all around from iplaywinner and SRK.

4. With the release of UMVC3 there wont be any support what so ever for MVC3 at all.
Why should this bother you? First off MvC3s support has been tapering off since the Tsunami, and ended with the Seth shadow pack. Even without UMvC3, support ended.
There are still those who prefer and play vanilla SFIV, just as there are those who still play the originally SFII Hyper Fighter. If what you want is to play MvC3, you still will be able to, I assure you.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hitman Dread said:

gphjr14 said:

AFTER the game was released not before like it should've been.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
gphjr14 said:
AFTER the game was released not before like it should've been.
They worked plenty hard enough at that. Just because you weren't satisfied with the roster doesn't mean work wasn't put into it. I don't know if you were at NYCC or not but when MODOK and Arthur were revealed the place went crazy. Plenty of fans were pleased, and you'd be a self entitled fool to believe otherwise.