Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
... doesn't Capcom have several locations outside of Japan that could develop the DLC?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hitman Dread said:
gphjr14 said:
AFTER the game was released not before like it should've been.
They worked plenty hard enough at that. Just because you weren't satisfied with the roster doesn't mean work wasn't put into it. I don't know if you were at NYCC or not but when MODOK and Arthur were revealed the place went crazy. Plenty of fans were pleased, and you'd be a self entitled fool to believe otherwise.
I've been with the series since MVCI on the PSX the only reason I got a Dreamcast was for MVCII. It has a roster of 56 characters. Working hard doesn't mean you're gonna end with a successful product and 3 isn't a complete failure it fails to deliver the variety that its predecessors did. I'm not self entitled I just see a major flaw in a series that prided itself on a large roster and then expected to pay extra in hopes they'll get around to surpassing or at least meeting its previous roster of fighters. You may be to young to know/care that you're being made or at least expected to pay more for less.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
gphjr14 said:
I've been with the series since MVCI on the PSX the only reason I got a Dreamcast was for MVCII. It has a roster of 56 characters. Working hard doesn't mean you're gonna end with a successful product and 3 isn't a complete failure it fails to deliver the variety that its predecessors did. I'm not self entitled I just see a major flaw in a series that prided itself on a large roster and then expected to pay extra in hopes they'll get around to surpassing or at least meeting its previous roster of fighters. You may be to young to know/care that you're being made or at least expected to pay more for less.

Oh my. . . . you really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

First off, the roster of MvC3 has more variety than that of MvC2. I'm not even talking about from a competative standpoint, nor will I this entire post just in case you every confuse me for that.

The MvC2 roster was HORRIBLE, and when you cut out the clones or sloppily made characters, its roster is smaller than MvC3.

Did you actually play MvC2, or do you just like saying big things?
Let's review the MvC2 roster for a little bit.

So we've got
Wolverine
Bone Claw Wolverine (an exact clone)
Iron Man
The War Machine (Iron Man with a different beam effect)
Ryu
Ken cough
Akuma cough
Sakura cough
Morrigan cough

As well as having many Street Fighter and Darkstalker characters who remained unchanged from their Alpha variations, thus NO work was done on them.
Megaman
Roll (Megaman clone)
Spiderman
Venom being nothing but a spiderman clone despite how different his moves look and SHOULD have preformed

No, I'm not too young to know or care, in fact I both know AND care far more than you do sir. I KNOW how lazy MvC2 was made. You clearly haven't the slightest clue. Not a single thing was done to make that game. Let's review the facts

-The entire roster had their sprite work done before the game was made, the sprites were nearly imported
-Many characters weren't even changed, they just stuck them into the game itself with 0 work done on them.
-The game itself is based off the SFII engine with heavy modifications.
-The characters Ruby Heart and Amingo were literally rejected characters who were reused to fill two empty roster spaces.
-The backgrounds and music themselves were also taken from the bottom of the barrel and have NOTHING to do with the game itself.

Meanwhile in MvC3
-The entire roster was made from scratch. No models, music, or backgrounds were taken from another game. EVERYTHING is freshly made.
-The engine was made from scratch.
-The closest we get to clone characters are Ryu and Akuma, however both have substantial differences from each other, and Akuma is in because he was the very first character in the Vs. Marvel series
-No two characters share the same playstyle. They may have similar roles but no two characters achieve these goals or provide their team with the same thing.

If you want to talk about actual work done to make the game, MvC3 has MvC2 beat in everyway. I suggest you actually learn something about the games you are so allegedly passionate about rather than using them to trash talk. When I bought MvC3 and payed 70 dollars for it, I got more human labor than I did when I played MvC2 for 25 cents. MvC2 is probably one of the poorest put together games PERIOD, and to see such ignorance about it is quite frankly disgusting.

-Dragmire- said:
... doesn't Capcom have several locations outside of Japan that could develop the DLC?
No. Fighting games are handled by very specific teams and take very specific talent required to make a competitive game.

Forsvaine

Jun 16, 2011
So they can release an entire disc, but not put out DLC? Bullshit. This is another Crapcom attempt at lining their pockets. Don't believe this. I was trying to trade away my MvC3 copy, and now the resale value went down because Crapcom feels they're above releasing downloadable crap. Oh, and I don't believe that BS that it's too big an update to release as DLC. Bullshit, there are some games that take up gigabytes and they can't release a big update?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hitman Dread said:
By the length of your post you apparently put a lot of thought,time, and work into that post. Too bad I stopped reading after the 4th line. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how ill informed and developed it is.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Forsvaine said:
So they can release an entire disc, but not put out DLC? Bullshit. This is another Crapcom attempt at lining their pockets. Don't believe this.
The DLC would have cost more AND netted higher profits than a disc based release, as well as helping combat used game sales Releasing it as DLC is BAD for Capcom's bottom line, NOT good.
The reason for the disc based version is because of the type of expansion this is, and for the competative scene. DLC would divide the community, that's why AE was offered as both DLC and a disc based release.
New moves are coming to this game, new moves require new models in many cases, such as She-hulk's new move where she grabs a stage light and hammers the opponent with it. Microsoft does not allow this kind of DLC to come in the form of a free patch. It would have to be purchased.

AE is set at 15 dollars for the 4 charecters and balance changes, so let's say the patch comes at 10 dollars.
DLC characters are 5 dollars each.
12 charecters at 5 a pop is 60 dollars.
If we assume stages are 5 dollars as well that's another 40 dollars.
Not including imrpoved netcode and whatever new modes are yet to be revealed, we are already looking at 110 dollars.
The disc based release is saving you money, as well as providing for the tournament market. DLC is a pain for the competative scene when that DLC becomes to expansive. All DLC has been banned at Evo for Mortal Kombat, for example, and with reason.

gphjr14 said:
By the length of your post you apparently put a lot of thought,time, and work into that post. Too bad I stopped reading after the 4th line. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how ill informed and developed it is.
However you are not allowed to make factually incorrect statements. You should read it, you'd learn a lot about the series you claim to be so passionate about, instead of staying in blissful ignorance.

Forsvaine

Jun 16, 2011
Hitman Dread said:
Forsvaine said:
So they can release an entire disc, but not put out DLC? Bullshit. This is another Crapcom attempt at lining their pockets. Don't believe this.
The DLC would have cost more AND netted higher profits than a disc based release, as well as helping combat used game sales Releasing it as DLC is BAD for Capcom's bottom line, NOT good.
The reason for the disc based version is because of the type of expansion this is, and for the competative scene. DLC would divide the community, that's why AE was offered as both DLC and a disc based release.
New moves are coming to this game, new moves require new models in many cases, such as She-hulk's new move where she grabs a stage light and hammers the opponent with it. Microsoft does not allow this kind of DLC to come in the form of a free patch. It would have to be purchased.
Huh, all sounds like the sort of thing that Crapcom could do if they were to, say, decrease prices of DLC? Y'know, just saying. I wouldn't mind as much if they just, you know, released the entire update as DLC as well? But that would mean it would have to be a lower price, and Crapcom isn't about to do that. I don't buy the whole "OH NO ULTIMATE MVC3 IS TOO BIG" BS either.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Forsvaine said:
Huh, all sounds like the sort of thing that Crapcom could do if they were to, say, decrease prices of DLC? Y'know, just saying. I wouldn't mind as much if they just, you know, released the entire update as DLC as well? But that would mean it would have to be a lower price, and Crapcom isn't about to do that.
The price of DLC charecters, at least in the case of Shuma, was set by Marvel. Shuma being DLC in itself was a demand by Marvel.

Also, take note that the only other fighting game company to release DLC charecters priced each charecter at 7.50 cents each. So if anything, Shuma and Jill are underpriced.

Might I ask how you became so educated in the development cost of making a video game that you know the price Capcom can set better than Capcom themselves?

Forsvaine

Jun 16, 2011
Hitman Dread said:
Forsvaine said:
Huh, all sounds like the sort of thing that Crapcom could do if they were to, say, decrease prices of DLC? Y'know, just saying. I wouldn't mind as much if they just, you know, released the entire update as DLC as well? But that would mean it would have to be a lower price, and Crapcom isn't about to do that.
The price of DLC charecters, at least in the case of Shuma, was set by Marvel. Shuma being DLC in itself was a demand by Marvel.
Why the hell does Marvel get to name the price? I'm pretty sure they didn't develop a groundbreaking fighting game over a dozen years ago. In fact, if Shuma has to be five dollars, why does Jill have to cost five dollars as well?

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Forsvaine said:
Why the hell does Marvel get to name the price? I'm pretty sure they didn't develop a groundbreaking fighting game over a dozen years ago. In fact, if Shuma has to be five dollars, why does Jill have to cost five dollars as well?
Marvel made a lot of demands during the game's development in order to even allow Capcom to make the game. In fact Capcom basically got it up the ass in all they had to do for Marvel. They kept specific characters out, and before work on the game had even begun gave Capcom a list of characters that would never make it into the game, this list include Cyclops, Juggernaut and Venom, which we only know of because they were so requested. It wasn't until late in development that Marvel let Capcom use Sent, and they only agreed to Shuma as DLC. Some characters were forced into the game as well such as Deadpool and Thor, and literally everything they did to each Marvel character had to be approved by Marvel. Every move, every line, every color, everything a Capcom character said to a Marvel character had to be approved.

I suspect it's because of Marvel that Rocket Racoon is in UMvC3 as well. I guess Capcom pushed for Cable, but Cable is dead and his only other replacement could have been Bishop, but he'd be a bad face for Marvel since his current plotline involves him traveling through time, chasing a kid around trying to shoot her. That's just speculation on my part though.

I don't know why Jill is the same price, no one ever asked Capcom that question. Probably just for consistency though.

Again though, I'd like to turn to Acsys, makers of Guilty Gear and Blazblue. Here's a company who is also making DLC charecters, who were also partially on the disc like Shuma and Jill were, and they are charging 7 dollars a pot for the characters, and that's a sprite based fighting game. Not only that, but Acsys has the expendable income from their very high profits off of the Japanese arcade scene where Blazblue ranks 2nd and Guilty gear is still played frequently. If THEY can't afford to make a character cheaper than what Capcom is offering, then why should we assume it's possible?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hitman Dread said:
Some characters were forced into the game as well such as Deadpool and Thor, and literally everything they did to each Marvel character had to be approved by Marvel. Every move, every line, every color, everything a Capcom character said to a Marvel character had to be approved.
Just to expand on this a tad. If you watch/read any of the recent interviews with Seth Killian, he actually addresses this issue almost every time. Even though he never really comes out and 100% points the finger totally at Marvel, he's actually surprisingly candid about it given that it is, in a sense, bad mouthing a major partner in the development of one of Capcom's flagship series. Marvel really does have pretty much final say on what Marvel characters end up in the game. The most Capcom can do is draw up a list that Marvel has final say on. For those who still doubt this for some reason: Have you considered why there are so many Avengers in the Marvel side of the roster? Have you considered why Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange were given the thumbs up? You'll find your answers with nothing more than a quick look at the Marvel movies coming out over the next year or two.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
The only massive wave stopping that content from coming out as a DLC is the massive wave of cash that capcom expects to rake in when this hits stores.

Of course it's a little hard to say what the better value is. 40 dollars for all the characters or 5 dollars for each on top of what you payed for the original game. Then there's the question did you buy the original game? I didn't.

But it must suck if you did, especially when you hear balance changes are coming to this new product and the old one's been dropped like a ton of bricks.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Gonna say this again for everybody that doesn't quite get this:
Capcom. Are. Losing. Money. To. Do. This. They've effectively made you guys a bulk deal - have all this stuff and we'll slash the price by one-third! But because it's a bulk offer and it's on a hard disk it's bad? That's like walking into a grocery store, seeing a sale on oranges at $2 a kilo instead of $3 and saying "I only want two, but I'm paying the reduced price because you're ripping me off. And I'm actually taking limes."
Additionally, how many people do you think work at Capcom? How many people have friends, family or loved ones who have been affected by this? Who commutes every day from the affected regions? Who decided to take some time off work and choose to volunteer? When floods happened in Brisbane at the beginning of this year, people came from all over to lend a hand. Japan is much smaller and needed a lot more help than we did.
Finally, try paying $6.50 for DLC instead. Yeah, that's what we're being charged in Australia for characters, and our dollar's stronger than yours - in effect, Capcom are charging us $7 for DLC characters. $40 is excellent news.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Hitman Dread said:
Marvel made a lot of demands during the game's development in order to even allow Capcom to make the game. In fact Capcom basically got it up the ass in all they had to do for Marvel.
You wouldn't happen to have your source handy, would you? This is great information to use next time I see someone bashing Capcom out of ignorance.

Ghengis John said:
Of course it's a little hard to say what the better value is. 40 dollars for all the characters or 5 dollars for each on top of what you payed for the original game. Then there's the question did you buy the original game? I didn't.
Actually, it's not that hard to say.

If you bought the original (new) and the DLC characters, you paid $70. Buying UMvC3 (new) in addition to MvC3 brings it up to $110. ($100 if you didn't buy the characters).

If Capcom were to release this as DLC using their existing prices, 12*5=60. So, the game (new) and all additional characters would add up to $130. And that's just the characters. New stages, costumes, game modes, modeling and animations, ect. would most likely be packaged separately. A hypothetical DLC scenario would be much more expensive in the long run with Capcom's current pricing (which, according to Hitman, was set by Marvel).

Besides, you can't trade the disc in on DLC, so subtract however much Gamestop is gonna give us from the price of UMvC3.
For those who didn't pick up the original, congrats! You get the best deal of all.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
You know, I'm going to try to put things in a relatively simple perspective...

If I feel I'm going to enjoy playing UMvC3 and I have the money, I'll buy the game.
If I feel I'm going to enjoy playing UMvC3 but I do not have the money to buy it, I'll find another alternative.
If I do not feel I'm going to enjoy UMvC3, I won't buy it.

All other decisions in this regard are variations of the above choices.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Take your time, Capcom. I'm already looking forward just to seeing what new characters will be involved. *crosses fingers* "Megaman X...Megaman X...Megaman X..."

Firebrand and Biker Spawn were nice suprises.

Seriously though, Frank West? What is the big fraking deal with Frank fraking West?! That dude was such a tool. If they had to use a Deadrising character, couldn't they have gone with Chuck instead? At least Chuck had that cool extreme game show contestant shtick going on.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
starwarsgeek said:
Hitman Dread said:
Marvel made a lot of demands during the game's development in order to even allow Capcom to make the game. In fact Capcom basically got it up the ass in all they had to do for Marvel.
You wouldn't happen to have your source handy, would you? This is great information to use next time I see someone bashing Capcom out of ignorance.
I COULD but hunting it down would take time, something I don't have today.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/marvel-vs-capcom-3-new-information-only-thread-read-the-1st-post-or-risk-a-ban.101125/

Most of it all should be in here. The comment about Marvel having a list before negotiations begin of NO characters is more recent though and won't be in this thread.

I could always hunt it down later this week though.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
starwarsgeek said:
Hitman Dread said:

Ghengis John said:
Actually, it's not that hard to say.

If you bought the original (new) and the DLC characters, you paid $70. Buying UMvC3 (new) in addition to MvC3 brings it up to $110. ($100 if you didn't buy the characters).

If Capcom were to release this as DLC using their existing prices, 12*5=60. So, the game (new) and all additional characters would add up to $130. And that's just the characters. New stages, costumes, game modes, modeling and animations, ect. would most likely be packaged separately. A hypothetical DLC scenario would be much more expensive in the long run with Capcom's current pricing (which, according to Hitman, was set by Marvel).

Besides, you can't trade the disc in on DLC, so subtract however much Gamestop is gonna give us from the price of UMvC3.
For those who didn't pick up the original, congrats! You get the best deal of all.
Except nobody is suggesting that they charge the whole package by the number of characters and the current DLC character prices. What we a suggesting in a sense is an expansion pack. The only reason why Capcom charges so much for each character because in who have to reprogram the game to recognize the characters or to be compatible online with others. What I have been suggesting is a $20 price on the whole package including update to roster, game modes, balancing, and stages. However, to be compatible with players who have the update, just issue a free patch so that compatibly with ones who downloaded the package or bought UMVC3.

To give an example of a decently done expansion would be the $20 expansion for DAO, Awakening. That expansion introduced new character, weapons, and missions not to mention new enemies as well.

Also look what NetherReleam is doing with MK9 and the free updates for the characters and updated character balancing with each new dlc. Are you honestly telling me that Capcom couldn't do the exact same thing?

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
For those who still doubt this for some reason: Have you considered why there are so many Avengers in the Marvel side of the roster?
To be fair those are some of their biggest characters. The same name recognition that makes an appealing cross-over character (ie: might sell units) also brings in film investors. So it's not like that's concrete proof of anything. I'm sure marketing does come into play but it's not like there's a rocket racoon movie on the way (quick IMDb search... no.) is there?