Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Jerry Pendleton said:
To give an example of a decently done expansion would be the $20 expansion for DAO, Awakening. That expansion introduced new character, weapons, and missions not to mention new enemies as well.
I remember it being priced at 45 euros, which comes to $65, interesting.

Also look what NetherReleam is doing with MK9 and the free updates for the characters and updated character balancing with each new dlc. Are you honestly telling me that Capcom couldn't do the exact same thing?
You mean releasing the same 3 costumes palette-swapped over and over again? Also MK was as balanced as the O'reilly Factor on release so it needed more updates.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Really, I would like to believe Capcom, as the earthquake was tragic, but sadly, I don't.

Capcom has locations in Tokyo and Osaka. The effects of the earthquake on Tokyo were relatively minor, and Osaka was not affected at all. The rolling blackouts due to the shutdowns of the nuclear facilities may have slowed progress, but that doesn't make a single bit of difference when it comes to releasing DLC vs. putting the content on a disc. My guess is it's really just Capcom being Capcom, who just seem to offer little to no DLC or digital distribution for their games to begin with, instead opting to release everything on physical media. They even did this for Street Fighter 4! They just knew that the fans wouldn't put up with it as well this time, so they offered this excuse. Again, I can see how the process would be slowed by the earthquake and tsunami, but not how it would warrant a disc instead of DLC.

Though if any Capcom employees were affected by the disasters, my sympathies and support go out to them.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
vansau said:
Tsunami's To Blame For Lack Of Marvel Vs. Capcom DLC

Capcom just saw a chance to make way more money and took it whilst screwing over their loyal fanbase. Are the trying to out-douche and out-stupid Activision, Microsoft and Ubisoft?

EDIT:
Toriver said:
Though if any Capcom employees were affected by the disasters, my sympathies and support go out to them.
However, this (that quote) is far more important than corporate shenanigans.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Hitman Dread said:
I gotta say, reading your version of things it seems pretty bloody amazing that Capcom can pull their workers down off their crosses long enough to find time to make the game in the first place. The bottom line is though that if they are going to release UMvC3 without offering a way to make the early adopters whole without purchasing an entire new game then this will be nothing more than a cash grab no better than what we see out of Activision and EA. The tech is there and if they wanted to they could do so.

However, what seems likely is that they will be bending their customers over and giving it to them without the courtesy of lube because they know that despite a little complaining they will grab their knees and take it. That doesn't make it right. On the other hand gamers also need to shoulder some of the blame as they will rail against these greed driven cash grabs early on but ultimately end up shelling out their hard earned money in the end. Companies see this and know that any complaining is likely nothing more than impotent bitching.

If gamers were to take a stand against this kind of bullshit I can promise you it would stop. If they stopped buying new renditions of Madden and Call of Duty every time they were released with minimal changes and upgrades eventually things would change. The fact of the matter is though that these companies only pull dick moves like this because gamers are either too stupid to notice how badly they are being screwed or they lack the self restraint to take a stand and NOT give in to these blatant cash grabs.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
fare777 said:
SageRuffin said:
Foolishness, Capcom. Foolishness. If not for Vergil being in this, I'd have gotten rid of my original MvC3 and never looked back a long time ago.
Vergils coming to MVC?
He hasn't officially been confirmed, but you can find character leaks all over the place. And sure enough, there's official art at least, turquoise overcoat and all.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
You mean releasing the same 3 costumes palette-swapped over and over again? Also MK was as balanced as the O'reilly Factor on release so it needed more updates.
Hey man, those old outfits may be pallete swaps, but they're still iconic.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
It's only DLC, can be released whenever you think of something new. Doesn't have to be released the second after the game comes out. Something Capcom should be able to figure out.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
This seems a little off to me. An entire nation just dealt with catastrohpic damages and nuclear disaster, and we're angry because the video game they made wasn't good enough?

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
SageRuffin said:

I'm just pointing the hypocrisy of the whiners here praising MK. Besides, I want Klassic Ermac.......

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Fbuh said:
This seems a little off to me. An entire nation just dealt with catastrohpic damages and nuclear disaster, and we're angry because the video game they made wasn't good enough?
They aren't Bioware or Valve. That makes them fair game to the three whiners around here.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Ghengis John said:
StriderShinryu said:
For those who still doubt this for some reason: Have you considered why there are so many Avengers in the Marvel side of the roster?
To be fair those are some of their biggest characters. The same name recognition that makes an appealing cross-over character (ie: might sell units) also brings in film investors. So it's not like that's concrete proof of anything. I'm sure marketing does come into play but it's not like there's a rocket racoon movie on the way (quick IMDb search... no.) is there?
lol No, as far as I know there is no Rocket Raccoon media coming out. Supposedly he does ape Cable in at least one of his comics though, and if Marvel absolutely did not want Cable in the game for some reason it's possible RR is some sort of goofy compromise.

And while the Avengers are some of Marvel's biggest characters, there is a definite lack of X-Men in the game compared to the previous iterations of the series (which itself pretty much started with the X-Men game Children Of The Atom). It's not that the Avengers aren't popular or well known but given Marvel's large and diverse roster of popular characters, their side of the cast is definitely slanted far more towards properties that have some sort of tie-in value, and the Avengers are pretty much the big thing being pushed right now.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
lol No, as far as I know there is no Rocket Raccoon media coming out. Supposedly he does ape Cable in at least one of his comics though, and if Marvel absolutely did not want Cable in the game for some reason it's possible RR is some sort of goofy compromise.
As far as we know there isn't any rocket raccoon media in the works... *looks around suspiciously*. As for the cable thing, I don't know if he actually does or doesn't. It might just be a fan edit. Who knows? I certainly don't. Can't say I've ever read Rocket Raccoon comics (even if they're sometimes drawn by Mike Mignola).

Both images are the same size, tell-tale of an edit, and there is a conspicuous line on cable's neck there. Fans are pretty sophisticated these days, I'm inclined to think it's an edit but there's nothing to say it wasn't a joke from marvel itself, at least not without an intimate knowledge of the title.

And while the Avengers are some of Marvel's biggest characters, there is a definite lack of X-Men in the game compared to the previous iterations of the series (which itself pretty much started with the X-Men game Children Of The Atom). It's not that the Avengers aren't popular or well known but given Marvel's large and diverse roster of popular characters, their side of the cast is definitely slanted far more towards properties that have some sort of tie-in value, and the Avengers are pretty much the big thing being pushed right now.
I do have to give you that. Some pretty big X-Men are missing and I know for a fact Psyloche, Rogue or Gambit would have made great fighters. Though the Marvel side of the roster is already one-third X characters I don't think any of us would have mourned the exclusion of oh let's say... Modok.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
Ghengis John said:
StriderShinryu said:
For those who still doubt this for some reason: Have you considered why there are so many Avengers in the Marvel side of the roster?
To be fair those are some of their biggest characters. The same name recognition that makes an appealing cross-over character (ie: might sell units) also brings in film investors. So it's not like that's concrete proof of anything. I'm sure marketing does come into play but it's not like there's a rocket racoon movie on the way (quick IMDb search... no.) is there?

Well imo, I believe that there were so many X-Men characters as opposed to Avengers was because of two things:
1. X-Men was more popular than the Avengers series in the 90's due to the TV series and the movie that was released in 2000.
2. Capcom was a bit lazy on there part. They already had the sprites of majority of the X-Men from the first game of the series. Lets not forget the blatant use of pallet-swapping that was used in MVC2.

Also remember how many Avengers there were in MVC2? That's right, 4, and one of the Avengers (War Machine) was a pallet-swap of another (Iron Man).

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
I had a feeling they would release a new version of the game after what they did with Street Fighter 4 so I traded my copy in for Mortal Kombat. Now I'm glad I did so I can get this version instead, then get screwed over in 6 months when they release an updated version on Ultimate MvC3.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Sir Ollie said:
"We couldn't be arsed to bring you DLC. Instead we wanted to rehash the same shit and release it as another edition for more money."

"In 8 months? time we'll bring out the Super Ultimate Arcade Edition and blame global warming for the lack of DLC"

My response? Screw you Capcom!
Hey, that's climate change to you!

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
SageRuffin said:

I'm just pointing the hypocrisy of the whiners here praising MK. Besides, I want Klassic Ermac.......
And you'll get him, along with a whole host of other throwbacks, including Smoke, Noob (which kinda sucks, I think), and MK2 Kitana, Jade, and Mileena. Super Retro. :3

Well, assuming you download the (FREE) compatibilty packs, that is.

Fbuh said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the earthquake the month after the game dropped? And when the pro players got their hands on the game, they knew something was weird from the outset. Capcom saying that thecatadtrophe caused the game to come out unfinished sounds like too convenient an excuse. Also, if you notice, it apparently didn't stop them from releasing those wack-ass Shadow Battles.

I'm typing through a tablet I can't really post any examples (well, I could but it's really difficult on this thing) post any details myself, but if you look around there are more than a few articles, videos, what have you explaining the oddities of "vanilla" MvC3.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I apologize if my previous sounded a bit incoherent. My tablet decided to act funny and I couldn't go back and change any of the text past a certain point for some reason.

I meant to add, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have minded the game being delayed a bit if that meant dome bugs and weird goings in were ironed out. Capcom releasing a completely sepearate game instead of doing just reeks of mthat ilking and poor choices.