Turbine Announces LotRO Expansion "Siege of Mirkwood"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Turbine Announces LotRO Expansion "Siege of Mirkwood"

Lord of the Rings Online developer Turbine has pulled the sheet off a brand-new "digital expansion" called Siege of Mirkwood, scheduled to hit this fall and close off the game's Volume II.

Siege of Mirkwood will take players into the creepy, evil-and-spider-infested forest of, uh, Mirkwood, where they will presumably get to chillax with Legolas' friends and family (it being his home and all). The level cap will be raised to 65, and players will get a chance to contend with the fortress of Dol Guldur [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol_Guldur] - where Sauron hung out back in The Hobbit before moving home to Barad-dur for the events of The Lord of the Rings. Siege of Mirkwood will conclude the game's Volume II that started last November with its first expansion, Mines of Moria.

Pricing and all the specifics have yet to be announced, but it'll be download-only (hence the idea of a "digital expansion") - no box set. Of course, given that it's an MMOG, there probably aren't too many people who are going to be upset at the idea of not having a physical copy of the game.

The press release is as follows:

[blockquote]WESTWOOD, MA - September 4, 2009 - Turbine, Inc. today unveiled The Lord of the Rings Online™: Siege of Mirkwood™, the digital expansion to the award-winning massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG). Siege of Mirkwood will expand the online world of Middle-earth where players will join forces to press further eastward into the dark, foreboding and treacherous forest of Mirkwood and take part in the epic conclusion to Volume II of The Lord of the Rings Online. Siege of Mirkwood will be available as a digital download this Fall with an increased level cap, a new region including the legendary evil fortress of Dol Goldur, major enhancements to combat and Legendary Items and the introduction of Skirmishes, a new system where players will train customizable soldiers and take them into battle as part of the War of the Ring.

"2009 has been a year of unprecedented growth for The Lord of the Rings Online and the launch of Siege of Mirkwood will end the year with a bang," said Jeffrey Steefel, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. "As the game expands east of the Misty Mountains, players will face the raging war and shadow that has spread across Middle-earth and the new Skirmish system will thrust players and their soldiers into the War of the Ring."

NEW FEATURES:

> The Epic Conclusion to Volume II: Mines of Moria™ - Under the command of Celeborn and Galadriel, players will fight through vast armies of Orcs alongside the Elves of Lórien in a battle that will take them to Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Ringwraiths. This update includes Book 9 and the Epilogue to the sweeping epic tale begun with the award-winning Mines of Moria expansion.

> Increased Level Cap - Players will be able advance their characters up to level 65, gaining access to new traits, virtues, skills and class quests.

> Answer the Call of War! - Jump into the heat of battle with the new Skirmishes feature. Skirmishes offer endless action in repeatable, randomized instances where players can create and lead customizable soldiers into battle, training them to greater skill as they earn victories against the forces of shadow. Answer the call of war wherever violence erupts with the new "World Join" function that lets players and their fellowships band together to fight in various locations throughout Middle-earth.

> Take up Arms! - Infiltrate the dark jails, deadly arenas and savage stables of Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Ringwraiths, and strike a blow against Sauron's forces in new 3 and 6-player instances. Call upon your fellows to adventure into the most deadly 12-player raid yet and face the ultimate challenge - the Nazgûl Lord!

> Major Gameplay Enhancements - Turbine continues to improve the award-winning experience of LOTRO with major improvements to the combat and Legendary Items systems. Players will experience improved responsiveness when in the heat of battle. Players will also be able to create and craft their own customized Second and Third Age Legendary Items from raw materials and grow their weapons' power to level 60. Achieve new Legacies, new titles, and a fourth Runic slot that will make Legendary Items even more unique and powerful.

The Lord of the Rings Online is an award-winning MMORPG that delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the picturesque surroundings of the Shire to Moria, the great underground realm to the menace of Mirkwood, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before. The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood will be available as a digital download this Fall. Details regarding Siege of Mirkwood's pricing, pre-order offers and availability will be unveiled soon. For more information, visit www.lotro.com/mirkwood [http://www.lotro.com/mirkwood].[/blockquote]

hansari

May 31, 2009
I guess that lawsuit with Atari isn't slowing anything down at Turbine's studios...

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
It's really sad that this is the best LoTR game and I hate it. At least they are sticking to the actual LoTR universe and aren't just making bullshit up.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
Until they come up with a way for me to complete older book quests without sitting around trying to find a group for 3 hours, I won't be interested. That's the reason why I left in the first place. Now don't get me wrong, I love to group. I'm not a solo-only player...but considering that these book quests tell the story, and that it's extremely difficult to find a group for the older ones, and that the story is supposed to be one of the main selling points that makes LOTRO different from other MMO's...it causes problems for players because we have to skip over parts of the story.

Let us take those "customizable soldiers" into the old epic book quests, and I'll come back in an instant.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
Wow how can they honestly pass this off as an "Expansion"??

Honestly I have been following MMO's for years, and everything listen here sounds like something they would stick in a free update, not a pay to play Expansion.

Like honestly look at the list and what do you get?

- A small level cap increase

- A few new missions

- A few new Missions again

- Some new class traits

- A few new missions for the third time!

- Skirmish's....sounds like nothing interesting at all.

I really hope people dont buy into this.

-Jive

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
DRADIS C0ntact said:
Until they come up with a way for me to complete older book quests without sitting around trying to find a group for 3 hours, I won't be interested.
Join a kinship. Problem solved. If you were in my kinship and asked me to help you with the book quests, I know I'd do it. I know others in my kinship would do it.

Although before I even joined my current kinship I was still able to get them done.

Do you know about the GLFF channel?

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Jiveturkey124 said:

Honestly I have been following MMO's for years, and everything listen here sounds like something they would stick in a free update, not a pay to play Expansion.

- A few new missions

- Some new class traits

-Jive
Did you completely forget about Dul Guldur and Mirkwood for some reason?

Also, this is going to be a FREE content update. Is that OK with you now that people buy it?

LOTRO content comes out incredibly fast.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:

- A few new missions

- Some new class traits

-Jive

What're they supposed to do? Add more classes? That'd be just stupid. It's a fine expansion. It'll probably $20-30, and it'd be worth it if you played the game.
How about anything thats not just a cliche' update?

Yes this might be an expansion that gets your character out of the Prancing Pony and back into some dungeons for a while but it doesnt add anything to give the game real replay value.

What ever happened to more hobbies? Revamping housing? Adding in something thats not just quests to level you up to the new small cap increase?

The reason this is so ridiculous is the fact that it add's nothing for the new player, and nothing new to the game.

Skirmish's is what it add's. An NPC "Pet" system so you can solo dungeons that are randomly instanced.

It kills me because I remember when this game was called "Middle Earth Online" and you know, it was actually going to be good!

They had a system in game where you could find rare parchment in dungeons and use them to make your own "Books", to write stories of your adventures, like Bilbo did in the stories. This may sound like nothing to you, but it was an innovative idea, it wasnt just about leveling it was about creating your own legacy and story. That was back when the game was planned to have a real 3rd dimension to character advancement.

When you could choice to fight for light or for darkness, like how the books were, when you could see your character change by the type of clothing they wore. (White armor and cloaks were the rarest in the world for their purity)

I weep for a game that stoops to this low, of charging people for this "Expansion" which gives nothing new or innovative to the game.

-Jive

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:

- A few new missions

- Some new class traits

-Jive

What're they supposed to do? Add more classes? That'd be just stupid. It's a fine expansion. It'll probably $20-30, and it'd be worth it if you played the game.

Yes this might be an expansion that gets your character out of the Prancing Pony and back into some dungeons for a while but it doesnt add anything to give the game real replay value.

What ever happened to more hobbies? Revamping housing? Adding in something thats not just quests to level you up to the new small cap increase?

The reason this is so ridiculous is the fact that it add's nothing for the new player, and nothing new to the game.

Skirmish's is what it add's. An NPC "Pet" system so you can solo dungeons that are randomly instanced.

It kills me because I remember when this game was called "Middle Earth Online" and you know, it was actually going to be good!

They had a system in game where you could find rare parchment in dungeons and use them to make your own "Books", to write stories of your adventures, like Bilbo did in the stories. This may sound like nothing to you, but it was an innovative idea, it wasnt just about leveling it was about creating your own legacy and story. That was back when the game was planned to have a real 3rd dimension to character advancement.

When you could choice to fight for light or for darkness, like how the books were, when you could see your character change by the type of clothing they wore. (White armor and cloaks were the rarest in the world for their purity)

I weep for a game that stoops to this low, of charging people for this "Expansion" which gives nothing new or innovative to the game.

-Jive
So then you don't like the game. Ok? Did you expect one expansion pack to change all of that? One.... FREE... expansion pack?

Did I mention this expansion was going to be free, yet?

Don't play the game then. But why do you "hope" nobody else has fun playing it? That was just a stupid comment.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
DRADIS C0ntact said:
Until they come up with a way for me to complete older book quests without sitting around trying to find a group for 3 hours, I won't be interested. That's the reason why I left in the first place. Now don't get me wrong, I love to group. I'm not a solo-only player...but considering that these book quests tell the story, and that it's extremely difficult to find a group for the older ones, and that the story is supposed to be one of the main selling points that makes LOTRO different from other MMO's...it causes problems for players because we have to skip over parts of the story.

Let us take those "customizable soldiers" into the old epic book quests, and I'll come back in an instant.
What server do you play on? Back when i played on Brandywine, I would get a full fellowship within 10 minutes of posting "lfm [random quest]" If you're playing on a different server, try to get into a good kinship.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:

- A few new missions

- Some new class traits

-Jive

-Jive
So then you don't like the game. Ok? Did you expect one expansion pack to change all of that? One.... FREE... expansion pack?

Don't play the game then. But why do you "hope" nobody else has fun playing it? That was just a stupid comment.
Where did I say "I hope people dont have fun playing it"? Seriously, go back and highlight that for me. Then sit back and enjoy why I prove you completely wrong in the matter of seconds.

"The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood will be available as a digital download this Fall. Details regarding Siege of Mirkwood's pricing, pre-order offers and availability will be unveiled soon."

Hmmmm, lets see here. I see the words "Pre-Order", "Pricing", and "Digital Download".

So looks like I know exactly what your going to do, your going to pay 5 dollars in advance to pre-order the expansion (Oop's looks like you already payed money! O well lets keep going).

Then your going to wait a couple of months and spend more money buying that game at whatever they find the "Pricing" to be (Man more money).

-Jive

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:

- A few new missions

- Some new class traits

-Jive

-Jive

Where did I say "I hope people dont have fun playing it"? Seriously, go back and highlight that for me. Then sit back and enjoy why I prove you completely wrong in the matter of seconds.

"The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood will be available as a digital download this Fall. Details regarding Siege of Mirkwood's pricing, pre-order offers and availability will be unveiled soon."

Hmmmm, lets see here. I see the words "Pre-Order", "Pricing", and "Digital Download".

So looks like I know exactly what your going to do, your going to pay 5 dollars in advance to pre-order the expansion (Oop's looks like you already payed money! O well lets keep going).

Then your going to wait a couple of months and spend more money buying that game at whatever they find the "Pricing" to be (Man more money).

-Jive
"I really hope people dont buy into this." - Jive Turkey.

Is that... is that highlighted enough? I can print it out, use a highlighter and physically mail it to you, but that seems like a waste of time. I mean.. there it is, plain as day. Oh did I slightly misword it? Oh, my fault. I was WAY off, wasn't I?

Why do you make people jump through hoops to argue with you? That's asinine.

As for it being free... just google around. I'm not your butler. It's a "mini-expansion" according to Turbine. It's not supposed to be as big as Moria was. Hense, the pricing won't be as big as Moria was. Moria was a whooping $20. So, even IF this expansion DOES turn out to be $10-15.. so what? That's the price of an indie game on PSN. Or some DLC for another game. I fail to understand why that's such a big deal. Why is Turbine exempt from being able to release smaller content? They release more content then most other MMO's for free. That works for me.

Not really even sure why I'm arguing with you. It really couldn't matter any less what you think. You obviously don't even play the game. Who cares what you think?

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
DRADIS C0ntact said:

I believe they have done quite a bit to make the older Epic book quests solo-able with the exception of an occasional group or small fellow quest.

Also I believe this update is well worth a fee. Quite a bit of content, new levels, and area going into this.

Blizzard is about to do this. The only difference is they are going to try and force everyone to start over to play a fury.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:

- A few new missions

- Some new class traits

-Jive

-Jive

-Jive
"I really hope people dont buy into this." - Jive Turkey.
Wow, you must have the intellectual capacity of a twelve year old, you've honestly never heard of someone "Buying into something"?

Its informal, it means "To believe, or accept as truth", for example: "The teacher didnt buy into my excuse for missing class."

It has nothing to do with fun? Im sorry am I missing something here?

-Jive

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
snipsnipsnipsnipsnip
*Pulls it apart, unveils a snowflake*

But seriously though, this is the one reason I've not picked up this game. Every time I hear about it, there's always someone screaming about how stupid someone else is very close by. I said it before and I'll say it again, if this is the negativity of the community, count me out.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
runtheplacered said:
DRADIS C0ntact said:
Until they come up with a way for me to complete older book quests without sitting around trying to find a group for 3 hours, I won't be interested.
Join a kinship. Problem solved. If you were in my kinship and asked me to help you with the book quests, I know I'd do it. I know others in my kinship would do it.

Although before I even joined my current kinship I was still able to get them done.

Do you know about the GLFF channel?
I hear this response all the time when I say that it's difficult to find fellowships for certain quests. Thing is, I was in a kinship and still couldn't always get a group when I needed one. I was able to PUG/kinship group all of the group oriented epic quests up until book 7 of volume 1, then I had to start skipping book quests because I couldn't find anyone to help.

Think about this...as new content is released, fewer and fewer people are going to be playing the old content. That means that new players who want to see all of that old content are going to have a very hard time doing so. It's the same with every MMO. And surprisingly, only a few developers ever realize they need to do something about it.

I'm not asking for the old epic book quests to be soloable. Maybe let us take 2 of these customizable soldiers with us, that way you'll only need to find one other player. That's much more convenient and quicker than having to wait around to find 5 other people. And keep this restricted to the older content...that way people won't complain that it would prevent people from grouping for the newer content, which is a common complaint whenever the idea of a henchmen system is introduced in an MMO.

I like LOTRO, I really do. It's a great game. But there are a lot of great games out there that let you actually play through all of the content in a timely manner. And until Turbine does something along these lines, those are the games I'll be playing.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Jiveturkey124 said:

-Jive
Yeah! How dare those devs try to make money so they can pay their rent and feed their kids!

For shame Turbine! For shame!

Just out of curiosity, why do you weep for a game you don't care about? People cry over things they care about, not over something they have not tried or have no interest in.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
wordsmith said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
runtheplacered said:
Jiveturkey124 said:
snipsnipsnipsnipsnip
*Pulls it apart, unveils a snowflake*

But seriously though, this is the one reason I've not picked up this game. Every time I hear about it, there's always someone screaming about how stupid someone else is very close by. I said it before and I'll say it again, if this is the negativity of the community, count me out.
I wonder how you manage to stay here in the Escapist community so long then. From what I've seen it's 10x worse then the LotRO community. Just look at all the constant warnings, temporary bannings, and perma-bans that pop up on a daily basis in these forums. (I mean no offense to the Escapist mods who do a very good job, rather I put the responsibility on the posters themselves)

Check out the actual LotRO forums for yourself and you'll see that we're actually a very helpful and usually friendly community. When things DO start to head south, we actually correct things ourselves before it goes too far, and very rarely need moderator action.

To each his/her own.

I do find it a little ironic though that the one post you put in on the subject so far was a negative comment on the negativity of others. Just an observation I had. :)

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
DRADIS C0ntact said:
I hear this response all the time when I say that it's difficult to find fellowships for certain quests. Thing is, I was in a kinship and still couldn't always get a group when I needed one. I was able to PUG/kinship group all of the group oriented epic quests up until book 7 of volume 1, then I had to start skipping book quests because I couldn't find anyone to help.

Think about this...as new content is released, fewer and fewer people are going to be playing the old content. That means that new players who want to see all of that old content are going to have a very hard time doing so. It's the same with every MMO. And surprisingly, only a few developers ever realize they need to do something about it.

I'm not asking for the old epic book quests to be soloable. Maybe let us take 2 of these customizable soldiers with us, that way you'll only need to find one other player. That's much more convenient and quicker than having to wait around to find 5 other people. And keep this restricted to the older content...that way people won't complain that it would prevent people from grouping for the newer content, which is a common complaint whenever the idea of a henchmen system is introduced in an MMO.

I like LOTRO, I really do. It's a great game. But there are a lot of great games out there that let you actually play through all of the content in a timely manner. And until Turbine does something along these lines, those are the games I'll be playing.
The devs actually are going back and revamping all the old areas and quests, making it easier for newer players leveling up. They've already revamped all the starter zones (1-20) and are working on Lone Lands/North Downs next (20-30).

They are also going back to older group quests and instances and making them do-able by 2 or 3 players instead of the old 5 or 6.

So really it shouldn't be long before you can come on back. :)