Turbine Confirms Upcoming Console MMO

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Turbine Confirms Upcoming Console MMO

Turbine Inc., developer of the criminally underloved Lord of the Rings Online, is currently at work on a Massively Multiplayer Online title for release on home consoles.

That news comes from a presentation given by Turbine's VP of Product Development Craig Alexander.

Alexander adds that the game is initially planned as an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 release and that though it has two years of development and $20 million behind it already, the firm is targeting a nebulous, distant "early 2011" release window.

As for plot or setting, the company is being very mum on the subject, though MMO fan site Massively believes the game is a brand new intellectual property [http://www.massively.com/2009/09/18/agdc09-breaking-turbine-confirms-console-mmo-in-the-works/].

While Turbine refuses to clarify its console MMO plans any further, the developer has vowed to explain everything sometime in 2010.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Sounds interesting. A great game that came too soon to be an MMO was Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube. That could actually work out as a great MMO.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Rain down apocalypse!
A game we don't know anything about besides "you'll play it with many people at the same time" is in the making! How on earth could this not end as a disgrace to the gaming industry!?

Seriously.
It could be good, it could be bad, why not wait and see?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Monocle Man said:
Rain down apocalypse!
A game we don't know anything about besides "you'll play it with many people at the same time" is in the making! How on earth could this not end as a disgrace to the gaming industry!?

Seriously.
Finally a voice of reason. I mean, come on folks. Care to explain why you're already saying this game is going to be terrible when you know nothing about it?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Turbine already has two MMO's and a lawsuit against Atari to deal with. Can it really handle developing a new game now?

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Hey, as long as it's built for a console from the ground up, it could be pretty good. Everyone'll have a headset, and the combat should be more than just a copy of WoW's system (unlike 90% of MMOs out there).

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Not like its the first console MMO. It COULD work. PSU was pretty fun, just felt very bare, which is just a content issue. Im gonna be on the optimistic minority side.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Monocle Man said:
Rain down apocalypse!

Seriously.
Finally a voice of reason. I mean, come on folks. Care to explain why you're already saying this game is going to be terrible when you know nothing about it?
I don't get it either. I mean, just because something hasn't been done much before doesn't mena that it's not doable.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Marq said:
This will blow hard. I called it.
God Damn!

Fine. If YOU call it, I second.

EDIT: Actually, Im going to put it in the same category as Natal: I dont have high hopes at the moment.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Meado said:
Hey, as long as it's built for a console from the ground up, it could be pretty good. Everyone'll have a headset, and the combat should be more than just a copy of WoW's system (unlike 90% of MMOs out there).
Judging from my experiences on XBox live, most people either don't have a headset or choose not to use it.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
I think the idea of a console MMO is good....

.....it will just never be done right.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
DRADIS C0ntact said:
Could it finally be? Maybe?

Listen here Turbine...it better be Asheron's Call 3!
That would be awesome no doubt! I have a feeling it will be completely different, but man AC3 would be very nice indeed.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
With Warner Bros. investing in Turbine, rumor has it that it is Harry Potter MMO.

BTW In the report Turbine VP C Alexander stated "Under no circumstances should you attempt to port a title."

Yet Turbine's suit against Atari states that Turbine was in discussions to port DDO to console...