Turbine to close DDO?

Bubbahotepp

Mar 22, 2009
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Turbine is getting ready to close Dungeons and Dragons Online? Two times in the last week I have grouped with people who stated they had heard that the servers will close September 1, 2009.

I tried posting this over in the DDO forums but it was deleted in less than 2 minutes.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
*looks at OP username and avatar*

AH MA GOD THAT MOVIE ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Anyway...Ah! Not even winning MM will save your DDO servers now!(If they close this is....)

Lovelocke

Apr 6, 2009
That's hot... we were just talking about this in another thread (that the game should have an all-out ad campaign to bolster subscription sales). I guess the game really was falling behind the competition?

I am reminded of Final Fantasy... 11? My understanding of it was the game was *never* densely populated... 'zat true?

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Gormourn said:
Glerken said:
If so, next March Madness will be nice.
Whiner.

It's not like there will be any less people willing to vote for Turbine because they make great games and actually moderately care about their consumers, unlike shitty old companies like Nintendo that deserve to die already. It's not like any of their good stuff actually comes from their company anymore.
Ya. I guess I'm a whiner.
The simple fact is MMO's can advertise to their entire fanbase much easier than say, console only companies.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
I can't honestly think of a single good game Turbine has made.
DDO is garbage, I can't play Lord of the rings for more than 15 minutes before falling asleep.
Have they actually MADE anything other than those 2?

Rhob Anybody

Apr 3, 2009
O.K. Guys heres the news update for DDO. The Japanese/Chinese servers are closing down later this year but DDO EU and US are still going to be going strong for a while yet. Despite a lot of speculation there is no sign of the EU servers (which have a lot lower population than the US ones) heading for a shutdown any time soon. So in short the official response to this question is dont panic the end's not in sight yet.

dontworryaboutit

May 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
*looks at OP username and avatar*

AH MA GOD THAT MOVIE ROCKS!!!!!!!!
Pretty much. Also, DnD in person will always be better because you have the option of throwing things at the DM or your party if they royally fuck you over.

The_Rev

Mar 26, 2009
They've been holding out on a Mod that's about 6 months late, and have implemented a communication blackout with the players, offering nothing more than "trust us, it's awesome". They appear to be held down by an NDA, and while the test server for the Mod was up and running, it's been shut down for some time. Release notes for the Mod were released already. Community is up in arms, many upset and many leaving the game. It's turning into a firesale over there!

Key words are "vast and mysterious" (VM) and "super-secret" (SS). While it seems that DDO is going console (360), that appears to have no bearing on why they are being uncommunicative. It's a seriously frustrating situation over in DDO-land, and the forum mods are doing their best to keep the torch-wielding mobs at bay as they call for the heads of the devs and producers!