Turning Doctor Who Into an Action Game a "Tough Challenge"

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Knight Templar said:
TimeLord said:
The Doctor doesn't kill things. He doesn't harm, maim or tickle thinks to hurt them. Turning that into a game that isn't puzzle based it a failure to start with.
He doesn't kill things himself, but things do die "by his hand" so to speak. He doesn't shoot a gun but death still finds those who push him.
If I recall he's committed genocide, granted it was a race of six or so plant monsters that would eat the earth...
Anyway the current Doctor seems to really hate Daleks, he might even not give warning before defending himself.
While I agree with everything you just said. My point still stands that turning that into an action game is a bad idea unless it involves lots of running!

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
TimeLord said:
Knight Templar said:
TimeLord said:
The Doctor doesn't kill things. He doesn't harm, maim or tickle thinks to hurt them. Turning that into a game that isn't puzzle based it a failure to start with.
He doesn't kill things himself, but things do die "by his hand" so to speak. He doesn't shoot a gun but death still finds those who push him.
If I recall he's committed genocide, granted it was a race of six or so plant monsters that would eat the earth...
Anyway the current Doctor seems to really hate Daleks, he might even not give warning before defending himself.
While I agree with everything you just said. My point still stands that turning that into an action game is a bad idea unless it involves lots of running!
I've heard of great action games were you have no weapons at all.
Being powerless is great for creating fear, if nothing else.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Knight Templar said:
TimeLord said:
Knight Templar said:
TimeLord said:
An excellent point and on any other topic, I would completely agree. But basing a game about the Doctor being scared strikes me as a broken idea. The Doctor runs from enemies and threats yes. But usually only to run towards a solution or way to defeat said enemies.

I suppose you could make a Wii game about that using the Balance Board........ No stupid idea.

On another note. If there was a Doctor Who game on PS3/360 with current gen graphics and all your character did was be David Tennant, run, use the Sonic Screwdriver and spout lines from the series' then I would pay full price for that!
And maybe have him use a Vortex Manipulator and fly the TARDIS too (like in the adventure game)

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
TimeLord said:
Knight Templar said:
TimeLord said:
Knight Templar said:
TimeLord said:
An excellent point and on any other topic, I would completely agree. But basing a game about the Doctor being scared strikes me as a broken idea. The Doctor runs from enemies and threats yes. But usually only to run towards a solution or way to defeat said enemies.
Yes thats true.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I believe this used to be called a "think 'em up" ;)
Also, what about the classic 2d "Daleks" game? Could certainly take e.g. the dead rising engine and build from there...

The doctor does get scared on a regular basis as far as I've seen, but he's got the guts to quickly turn that initial fear into a mixture of righteous anger and quick thinking. Always striving for a diplomatic solution to the end, though. Might need to add in some Civ subroutines.
Any market for a negotiate-em-up do you think?

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
InterAirplay said:
Acidwell said:
This needs to be an old-school adventure with every possible option included because otherwise it is wrong.
The doctor is not limited in any way. Every option should be allowed.
Including the move I call the "russel T Davies" which consists of pulling an incomprehensible magical solution directly out of your arse and crowbarring it into the story.
Isn't that a standard move in classic adventure games :p

Feb 13, 2008
Thank Rassilon. For one horrible moment I thought they'd go with the idea of turning his screwdriver into a BFS.

InterAirplay said:
Including the move I call the "russel T Davies" which consists of pulling an incomprehensible magical solution directly out of your arse and crowbarring it into the story.
Root's Seal of Approval for that comment.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
This reminds me, I always thought Daleks would make interesting playable FPS models, since their bodies swivel around you wouldn't have that legs running sideways then awkwardly switch to running backwards look about them that human models always seem to have.