Turns out Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2 will have you play as Clementine.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I just learned this by finding the game's coming soon/pre-order page on Steam. Apparently it's old news though, with a little teaser trailer and everything.

Anyway, yeah... the next Walking Dead game will be a Clem-centric, direct continuation kind of sequel, apparently taking place a few months after the first game.

If memory serves, they already mentioned that she'd be showing her little face in some capacity, but I was expecting something more along the lines of a cameo rather than the star role.

So, those of you who played the first game, thoughts on this?

Personally, I find myself ambivalent. Certainly more than I thought I would be.

On the one hand, I can't help but point out that the story was already all complete and self contained and really wasn't begging for a continuation. Also, my milking sense is tingling. Not full on tingling, but there was definitely a twinge. Let's call it 10% tingle. I'd hate to think Telltale, who are rapidly becoming one of my favourite devs, are just going through the motions to capitalize on the surprising success of the first game and Clementine's character in particular.

On the other hand, any gripes or tinglings I might have are struggling to be heard above the internal din of, "Fuck yeah, Clem's back!" Plus, at least we won't be left with that thrice-damned, motherfucking, post-credits cliffhanger from the first game.

Perhaps I should just have a little more faith. After all, I originally dismissed the first Walking Dead as yet-another-bloody-zombie-game and look how that turned out. Besides, The Wolf Among Us has shown that Telltale didn't just get lucky the first time.

[sub][sub]Third bloody time I had to type this out. Browser kept crashing every time I hit the 'post' button, because hey, fuck that Zhukov guy and his excessively verbose posting habits. Let's teach him a lesson by making him type it all out three times.[/sub][/sub]

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Zhukov said:
On the one hand, I can't help but point out that the story was already all complete and self contained and really wasn't begging for a continuation. Also, my milking sense is tingling. Not full on tingling, but there was definitely a twinge. Let's call it 10% tingle. I'd hate to think Telltale, who are rapidly becoming one of my favourite devs, are just going through the motions to capitalize on the surprising success of the first game and Clementine's character in particular.
How the hell was that 'self contained' when Walking Dead ended in a damned cliffhanger? Admittedly I didn't play that other DLC that came out so I have no idea if it resolved the main stories ending, but if it doesn't (And I don't believe it does) then the game ends in a cliffhanger. A big ol' fashioned 'DUN DUN DUHHH' only minus the sound cues and, thankfully, a bit more subtle and satisfying than the usual cliffhanger endings we're used to.

Bit early to be calling out the milking accusations when the series was obviously meant to be continued.

As for playing as Clem. Good. It'll be a nice change of pace from 30-something male, a stereotype even Lee fell into being a 30-something male himself obviously. It's nice playing something other than a hardened killer or some idiot with a so called 'mysterious past' we usually find in nearly every other videogame.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I have complete faith in Telltale games. First Season was amazing and The Wolf Among us, that I just bought, is freaking awesome!

As for Clem being main character, hell, I'm happy! I don't think making player take care about Clem again would work. She was taken care of already and now it's her turn to show what she learned. Also, the events of season two happen just couple months after the end of season one, but Clem looks older. Like, at least a year older.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Madman said:
Zhukov said:
How the hell was that 'self contained' when Walking Dead ended in a damned cliffhanger? Admittedly I didn't play that other DLC that came out so I have no idea if it resolved the main stories ending, but if it doesn't (And I don't believe it does) then the game ends in a cliffhanger. A big ol' fashioned 'DUN DUN DUHHH' only minus the sound cues and, thankfully, a bit more subtle and satisfying than the usual cliffhanger endings we're used to.
Because it was an utterly shit cliffhanger, even taking into account the inherently shitty nature of cliffhangers in general. It didn't reveal anything or provide any sort of final twist. It just stuck an, "Or did she!?" on the end. It was a big, fat, oozing pimple on the nose of an otherwise perfect ending.

The cliffhanger itself was an unnecessary addition to a completed story. If they are willing and able to continue that story in interesting ways with a second game then great, but if that continuation is worth its salt then it should be able to stand on it's own without using cheap techniques that mar the conclusion to the first game.

Bit early to be calling out the milking accusations when the series was obviously meant to be continued.
I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Like I said, it's only a 10% tingle. I'd prefer to think they're better than that.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Zhukov said:
Anyway, yeah... the next Walking Dead game will be a Clem-centric, direct continuation kind of sequel, apparently taking place a few months after the first game.

And i do kinda agree, theres this certain smell in the air, the smell of a dairy farmer ready to milk the ever living christ out of this franchise.

Jokes aside, im skeptical of playing as Clemetine. She was praised as one of the best child-characters in Video Games, and if they make her a bit too competent in terms of gameplay it might ruin her character. Pretty much all we can do right now is speculation tough, so take the above statements with a bit of salt. I can be a bit paranoid with Sequels.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
The main worry I have is that the dialogue and fast decision-making won't feel as... natural? I guess. I was picking dialogue and choices for myself, really. What I would do or say, not what "Lee" would do, necessarily. He got shaped from what I did for him. Now I'm worried I'm going to think "What would Clementine do?" since she's already an established character technically.

That being said, she did "learn" from Lee, so... there will probably be some similarities in the way they talk. Will probably just play normally anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad we get to see those lessons be hearkened back to and (hopefully) decisions called back on. Also, I don't think The Walking Dead as a whole has done much lone character stuff.

Dude I'm so pumped though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I already commented on the official news thread about being a bit hesitant myself.

What made the first "season" so good was not just Clementine, but playing as Lee and having to juggle all these responsibilities. The most important of which being Clementine. It was the relationship between the two of them that was the heart and soul of the game. I'm not sure how well Clem will be able to hold her own as a main character. And if they decide to go with another relationship angle, I fear it would never be able to compete with the one she had with Lee. Though maybe they could actually make that a point.

Telltale have certainly proven their mettle, but even good developers can overreach. To me it's a risky undertaking that may have the potential to reflect badly on the original game.

*fingers crossed*

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
delta4062 said:
Fuck that, I'd rather play as one of the guys from the 400 Days DLC.
the issue with that is that which one would it be? Based on my decisions 2 out of the 3 won't be there.

OT: Yeah I just say that myself on the steam page and i pre ordered it which is not something i'm in the habit of doing ever. One issue I do have is that the description blurb says many months have passed, but damn if Clem doesn't look a little bigger seems to me like she is ten years old now.

The other issue i have is being that she is a child she wont be able to hulk smash zeds like Lee could. So i am guessing the game might have more forced stealth sections like in the first episode of season one.

Speaking of season one episode one I really hope they ditch the cameos from the comics in favor of keeping it all original characters.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I kinda saw it coming, I played it until fairly recently about 2 months ago and I pretty much thought that the logical follow-up would be to continue the story as a grown Clementine, I mean the first game was basically training her to be capable to survive by herself, since now she can rely on herself and considering that ending it was a pretty logical follow up, I'm going to get the first episode for sure considering how much I liked the first season I see no issue with throwing the cash for it, however I will base my decision on the rest of the season on the quality of the first episode.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zhukov said:
wombat_of_war said:
so here i am browsing the threads in the gaming section and someone decides to put in spoilers for season 2 of the walking dead in the title of their thread. thanks for that
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaaaa... heheh... did you really juuaaAAHAHAHAhahahaheheheee. Hehhehe. Heh.

Ah dear me.

Y'know, I think the obsession with "spoilers" is a bit ridiculous at the best of times. But being told off for spoilers because I referred to the main pitch of the game? The information that is conveyed within every screenshot, every trailer, every sales blurb, every single bit of marketing. Information that would become apparent within a minute of playing the game. Information regarding an unreleased game that I have not played and have no access to and am thus literally incapable of spoiling.

That's just fucking hilarious.

Well shit, I guess I better not mention how the next Half Life game will probably have you play as this guy called Gordon Freeman, cause, y'know, that would be one hell of a spoiler.

Oh, did you know that Bioshock Infinite takes place on a flying city? Oh dear! Spoilers! Should I have put that in a tag?

Hey, did you hear about how Batman: Arkham Origins might just have Batman in... oh God, I'm so sorry, spoilers!
Hey, that's mean, I'n going to spoil Call of Duty Ghosts for you. You fire guns at people. Also there's multiplayer.

OT: I'm not sure about this... It seems like they're trying to grab our attention by using a popular character as a selling point, but I might be reading too much into it.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
so here i am browsing the threads in the gaming section and someone decides to put in spoilers for season 2 of the walking dead in the title of their thread. thanks for that
Season one of The Walking Dead has been out for around one year. If you haven't played it by now then most people assume that you don't care about it. So calling the title of this thread "spoiling" is way too silly.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Zhukov said:
wombat_of_war said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaaaa... heheh... did you really juuaaAAHAHAHAhahahaheheheee. Hehhehe. Heh.

Ah dear me.

Y'know, I think the obsession with "spoilers" is a bit ridiculous at the best of times. But being told off for spoilers because I referred to the main pitch of the game? The information that is conveyed within every screenshot, every trailer, every sales blurb, every single bit of marketing. Information that would become apparent within a minute of playing the game. Information regarding an unreleased game that I have not played and have no access to and am thus literally incapable of spoiling.

Well shit, I guess I better not mention how the next Half Life game will probably have you play as this guy called Gordon Freeman, cause, y'know, that would be one hell of a spoiler.

Oh, did you know that Bioshock Infinite takes place on a flying city? Oh dear! Spoilers! Should I have put that in a tag?

Hey, did you hear about how Batman: Arkham Origins might just have Batman in... oh God, I'm so sorry, spoilers!
I mean to be fair, and not that I give a shit, but it spoiled that Clementine doesn't/cant die in the first game. The only thing I saw about this installment was a screenshot of her bloody hat, so it seemed somewhat ambiguous with that.

OT: Clementine's voice is what put me off walking dead. I played episode 1 and every time she talked it created this gigantic cognitive dissonance, where you see a little black girl but hear something that's very obviously a middle aged white woman making her voice high pitched and for some reason breathy. Couldn't keep going. Especially since I hear you're supposed to get really attached to her, so I feel like a lot of the effect would be lost on me.

Wouldn't want to play a game AS her either, so there's that. Maybe I'll give a wolf inside me a shot or whatever the hell its called.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I think it makes sense.
Clementine is one of the most beloved characters of the first game. A character that a lot of people put quite a bit of consideration toward.

She is the focal point and she was done perfectly in the first game, I think it should be fascinating to have the Last of Us with less mushrooms and beard guys.

And a younger Ellen Page I guess?

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Is this news? I've been convinced that she'd be the next protagonist since I had seen the final scene of the first season. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way, Clementine is by far my favourite character from the game.

BlackJimmy

Jun 13, 2013
Feels like the logical way to go for me.
Noone was going to be happy with Clem getting a new guardian PC
And everyone would lose there shit if she wasn't in it or was relugated to a cameo.
From what little we know, it looks like it's going to have a very "next chapter" feel.
I AM sad to see she didn't find Omid and Christa though. At least that's the impression I'm getting anyways.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Zhukov said:
wombat_of_war said:

Ah dear me.

I mean to be fair, and not that I give a shit, but it spoiled that Clementine doesn't/cant die in the first game. The only thing I saw about this installment was a screenshot of her bloody hat, so it seemed somewhat ambiguous with that.

OT: Clementine's voice is what put me off walking dead. I played episode 1 and every time she talked it created this gigantic cognitive dissonance, where you see a little black girl but hear something that's very obviously a middle aged white woman making her voice high pitched and for some reason breathy. Couldn't keep going. Especially since I hear you're supposed to get really attached to her, so I feel like a lot of the effect would be lost on me.

Wouldn't want to play a game AS her either, so there's that. Maybe I'll give a wolf inside me a shot or whatever the hell its called.
Clementine.... Black?