TV-Style Commercials Coming to Xbox Live

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Does that count for netflix too? 'cause that's the only "media" thing I run on my xbox apart from games. Not surprising they're doing this, but it is irritating.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm just stunned at this, I used to play things on the 360 (till my 7th one went and croaked) and on top of paying an extra 10 on the 50 dollars a year they started playing ads on your home page now they're going to play TV commercials on your console?

The whole thing about consoles was supposed to be cheaper, easier and all that. Well consoles are really running out of positives for me. They're not cheaper, they're more restrictive, the fees and extra cost on games is getting stupid and now ads on top of them.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 will be the last console I buy considering everything but the start up cost is cheaper on PC, and my 360 controllers have had much better use on my PC too.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
You know what Microsoft FUCK YOU.

I hate ads and I pay for gold I am entitled to have no Ads so lower gold sub cost or make all the shit everyone else gets for FREE ALREADY for silver people.

Microsoft your greedy bastards

I really hate how you have to pay extra money to use netflix on 360 when I can watch it on my phone,PS3,PC without having to pay for somthing else hell when PSN was down last year i still could use Netflix

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Once again, people wonder why I've had the most fun on the Wii this console cycle, and why I'm actually looking forward to the WiiU...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I was watching a movie on Crackle the other day and an ad popped up every 9 minutes.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
That's actually the only episode of Black Mirror that I did watch and it was awesome. As for this news though, I'd just like to add an anecdote and that is that today I had to wait longer for a commercial to play than the video I wanted to watch took to play. And there's an old satirical line that goes: "Television is what is played in between commercials." I fear for the same happening to video games. :(

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Well, that's it.
Until now I've been OK with Gold as a product because it delivers better online play than the free equivalent on the ps3. It was also bereft of the main reason to use nexflix etc. the ads.

Microsoft, you have just lost a subscriber for life. I'd post this on your facebook page, but you would just delete it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
darthzew said:
Here comes a fun thread.

I don't have a big a problem with this. I mean, sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it sounds just like Hulu or Youtube. It doesn't feel like something worth complaining about
Don't think I've ever paid a $60 fee to use either of those things.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
My thoughts:

"Heh, good thing I don't use those stupid ap-

Oh, wait, anime app? Huh. That's...pretty cool."

Still, for now, it's a good thing that I don't use those stupid apps. Netflix on my Wii works fine, and the other apps just don't compare to having a keyboard and mouse in hand.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
darthzew said:
Here comes a fun thread.

I don't have a big a problem with this. I mean, sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it sounds just like Hulu or Youtube. It doesn't feel like something worth complaining about
Agreed. It's a very small amount of wasted time.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I would hope that those who pay for live are spared.
Or it would be cool if you could get the premium service for free but with commercials.
But I have a feeling that it wont be so kind. At this point they could probably ask anything of the hardcore fanboys.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I'm not comfortable with advertisements on pay-for services. Xbox LIVE Gold is a pay-for service.

I can understand commercials on pay-for cable, since you only pay the provider for the connection, and the adverts are for each individual network.

With the apps on my Xbox 360, I'm not paying Microsoft for the connection, I'm paying my ISP. If the individual apps, such as YouTube, Zune, and Hulu have adverts, that's fine; but I don't know why I have to pay Microsoft for a LIVE subscription to use services I can otherwise access for free, or pay someone else for. Like Netflix. You can get all these "services" through a DVD or Blu-Ray player at no extra cost, but Microsoft slaps a financial gate on it.

It seems like Xbox LIVE for some of these is just a cash-in for MS, and the advert revenue is just icing on the cake.

But hey, it's Microsoft, if you didn't expect this... you should probably get back to that rock from under which you crawled.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
What's next? Ad based captchas to axcess the Xbox Live arcade?
You'll have to type "All-New Chevy Sonic" to start a game, with a controller.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Hey Microsoft I have a good idea, have games pause every 15mins for ads and so people can't walk away and do something else while it's playing only have the ad run when the A button is repeatedly pressed.
To avoid the button mashing, buy a Kinect so the camera can make sure you are present to watch the ad.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
If they are adding ads, I wonder if they're planning on changing their subscription model. Of course, these ads are only for the TV/video apps, and don't seem that different from YouTube or Hulu, really (or even actual TV, which is what they are doubtlessly hoping to draw the comparison to: while you don't "pay for commercials" on Hulu, you most certainly pay cable while still being forced to watch commercials on any television station). Anyways, I wouldn't mind a few ads in online gameplay- perhaps even when you're waiting in a lobby or something- in exchange for having free online multiplayer for games. And then they could disable the ads for people who pay a subscription fee. As someone who can't afford the Gold subscription, but quite enjoyed her free trial, I would be perfectly fine with that.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
People really need to stop saying "I wouldn't mind a few ads" because that is how we got HERE.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
If this is only for the "free services" (YouTube and...uh...I really just use Netflix and ESPN so I don't know the other free ones) then I have no problem with this. ESPN already runs it's normal ESPN commercials and they really don't bother me.

If pay-for Apps start this up (Netflix), then we have ourselves a problem...