'Twas The Season Of TV

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
'Twas The Season Of TV

I don't know about you, but I want some geekier Christmas specials. And more poetry.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hey!

I was just watching Buffy on Netflix, and just watched Amends yesterday!

Season 3 is probably the best in the series, imo.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
You should add Invader Zim's "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever".

First episode i ever saw, and coincidentally, the last episode aired in the US.

Feb 13, 2008
Any holiday Doctor Who tends to reek. Sorry. They just get all smaltzy.

Just rewatch The Girl in the Fireplace or The Family of Blood or The Empty Child.

Blink probably wouldn't be a good choice for festive cheer.

I always like to settle down with Gremlins, Hogfather, or for those of us stuck in retail - you could see how much worse it could be doing Overtime [http://www.tor.com/stories/2009/12/overtime] in the British Cthulutional Secret Service, aka The Laundry.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Just rewatch The Girl in the Fireplace or The Family of Blood or The Empty Child.

I would tend to agree with you on this, most of the "special" Doctor Who episodes were absolutely awful. However "Voyage of the Damned" was one of my favourite episodes, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't come anywhere near the ones you mentioned ("The girl in the fireplace" is my ultimate favourite) but it certainly is a star amongst some truly terrible Christmas specials!

Feb 13, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
However "Voyage of the Damned" was one of my favourite episodes,
Voyage of the Damned?

Now, bear in mind that I'm in love with Kylie, I think it was awful.

Without losing myself in a rant - the fact that the android just happened to have AN EMP GRENADE IN HIS CHEST....*twitch*... No... I didn't rate it. It was a disaster movie re-wrote to have one-dimensional villains that existed purely through a DEM - died through another DEM - had weapons and voices based off of other monsters and was thoroughly throughly trite from start to finish.

That's not to say you're wrong for like it, but *twitch* I really can't say it was a good show.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
'Twas The Season Of TV

I don't know about you, but I want some geekier Christmas specials. And more poetry.

Read Full Article
As a fellow Muppet fan, might I say (since YOU'LL actually get it) "watch out for the icy patch". Say that to my friends and they stare at me with a blank look, but I know you're smiling and giggling at the thought.

Moonscream

Aug 30, 2010
Nostalgically, I was just suddenly reminded of an episode of Bravestarr 'Tex's Terrible Night'. It was a 'Christmas Carol' type story, with a very different, depressing ending. Up to that point there was a kind of minor plot threading through some of the episodes where Tex Hex, the bad guy, was starting to choose to be less evil. This didn't go unnoticed by his boss, the evil ghostly cow-thing Stampede, who threatened to kill him in this episode if he didn't start toeing the line.

The night before the all out Christmas Day attack on Ft. Kerium, Tex gets visitations from the Shaman, who reminds him of his lost love, and how he sabotaged the relationship and himself as he became the 'evil' Tex Hex. And guess who he finds out is visiting Ft. Kerium just as the attack is to start...and guess who chooses to fire on his boss to stop the attack.

The episode ends on Tex, standing forlornly on the ridge from which he fired on Stampede, knowing that the woman he did it for will never know and that he will die for it, saying 'Merry Christmas, Ursula.' And yes, he did die for it onscreen at the beginning of the next episode. Bravestarr was odd back then in that it did take great risks like that.

On a happier note, I can also geekily recommend the Transformers: Animated 2-parter 'Human Error'. I cannot hear 'Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!' now without thinking of Scrapper throwing snowballs! :D

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
If I had one show that I'd want to recommend,
It'd be one that time has yet to defend.
Although new, it's true, I am certain
This show's amazing, and makes me laugh till I'm hurtin'.
The name of this prodigious show, a common noun,
Community, where friendships and laughter abound!
Anyhow, they aired a brilliant Christmas episode,
And this show nearly made my heart explode
With sentiments jolly and merry
As I watched the gang, Christmas wary,
Travel through snow in stop motion.
Truly, this show is my favorite potion.

So poetry, yeah! Makes me want to start a limerick or Haiku thread =D

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Olive the other Reindeer, i've spent the last 5 (maybe less) Christmas seasons watching that show over, and over, and over again. I don't know why, I just really enjoy it lol

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

I would tend to agree with you on this, most of the "special" Doctor Who episodes were absolutely awful. However "Voyage of the Damned" was one of my favourite episodes, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't come anywhere near the ones you mentioned ("The girl in the fireplace" is my ultimate favourite) but it certainly is a star amongst some truly terrible Christmas specials!
That's the only episode I have yet to see. It's a little infuriating to see that you claim it's a great episode.
I personally think that the Doctor Who Christmas specials are pretty good, actually really good. That's because they're Christmas Specials. Sure, they might be some of the worse episodes of the series, but what other shows out there have Christmas specials that are that good that aren't midst season?
Also, these shows are always plot relative (well, maybe not the Next Doctor), but will create new important plot lines.

pigmypython

Jan 15, 2010
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is what I watch every year. Soooo funny. But the muppets certainly have my vote as one of the best.

EDIT: Forgot to mention A Christmas Carol (original of course) and It's a Wonderful Life. Both of which are fantastic. The old ones were much bigger on the good feelings and less big on product placement...makes them classics.

EDIT (Again): Forgot about Bill Murray in Scrooged. One of the funniest Christmas movies I have seen. The Ref with Denis Leary is also good.

Sebz

Jul 29, 2009
I agree with the Invader Zim suggestion from ne1butme. It's brilliant.
Also, the Pinky and the Brain Christmas special is pretty awesome.

Expanding on the Muppet theme, "Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas" for sure.

Going for the old reliable, I still kinda puddle up at the Charlie Brown Xmas (that and the Great Pumpkin are the Peanuts ones that really stand the test of time).

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Man, a Chirstmas Geek episode guide is just not complete without the 'Supernatural' episode, 'A Very Supernatural Christmas [http://www.tv.com/supernatural/a-very-supernatural-christmas/episode/1151603/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;summary]'.

They go hunting after the 'Anti-Santa', who goes doen people's chimneys, kidnaps, and kills them. Plus the show is friggin' hilarious.