Twilight (Movie Review)

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
A+ Review. For these reasons, and others, I continue to boycott the film. Nothing short of buckets of money (to me) will get me to see the film.

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
I never wanted to see the movie in the first place but my friend dragged me to it, I think because she secretly hates me, and I can honestly say it was one of the worst films I had ever seen... even my sister who wanted to see the movie thougth it sucked. at first we were very confused, we didn't even know what to think of it, so my sister suggested we see it again, and I was like "hell no I'm not wasting my money on that crap twice!"

I enjoyed the book, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially to guys...

MindCrush

Dec 11, 2008
This thread is awesome. I'm a girl and I think the Twilight series fails.
I havent seen the movie but dont ever intend to because the books were so uneventful, predictable and sappy.
In the first book nothing happens until the very end and whoops, she faints through the whole thing and we miss it all anyways. Then after the first book the entire series seemed to be Bella whinging and trying to have sex with Edward.
As for the movie the casting sucks... Edward is not at all attractive and in the Trailer Bella doesn't seem to be able to speak unless it's in a monotomous emotionless tone.
I am so damn sick of squealing fangirls -_-

Looking forward to the Southpark episode coming out :D

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Good review, and only about 3 people on this site would disagree with you. Read the books and you really understand just how bad the writing is. I really hope the movie is better. I'd rather lose a liver (think about it to add significance to what I say) than watch it.

psico666

Dec 8, 2008
I'm 17 and male and currently reading the book and to be honest i think its brillant. I just bought tickets and until ive seen it (it's not out over her in england till the 19th) i will stand by the fact that the novel is amazing

My one point is the fact that Edward (the vampire) doesnt look anythinglike how he is described in the book, which is a relief because i now know that i will be fine taking my girlfriend to see it, cuz hes ugly :D

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
psico666 said:
I'm 17 and male and currently reading the book and to be honest i think its brillant. I just bought tickets and until ive seen it (it's not out over her in england till the 19th) i will stand by the fact that the novel is amazing

My one point is the fact that Edward (the vampire) doesnt look anythinglike how he is described in the book, which is a relief because i now know that i will be fine taking my girlfriend to see it, cuz hes ugly :D
Are you joking? I managed to get through 100 torturous pages and got fucking sick of her constantly whining about the rain, and the stupid flowery language that Ms Meyer insists on using. It's shit of the worst kind, and I thought the Da Vinci Code was bad. Furthermore, my girlfriend is forcing me to take her, and pay £12 to do so, but I've made her agree to watch 30 Days Of Night and Blade II, for her to see what real vampires are.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
That was an excellent read, Maet. Here's proof:

I showed this review to my sister (an avid Twilight fangirl), and she laughed her head off in agreement. I mean, you can't do that every day.

However, as a review, I think that it was somewhat lacking. I believe you should structure it bit better, give a few less excerpts (nonetheless - I enjoyed them) and focus on the good points (at least try to find one - as hard as it is) to make it a bit more professional. I sort of half-agreed, half-disagreed with your view of Australia, you see.

Oh, and this quote:
Maet said:
Edward Cullen: ?Hello. I?m sorry I didn?t get a chance to introduce myself last week. I?m Edward Cullen. You?re Bella??
Bella Swan: ?Um? Yes.?
Edward Cullen: (While sliding a microscope to Bella) ?Ladies first.?
Bella Swan: ?You were gone.?
Edward Cullen: ?Um? Yeah. I was out of town for a couple of days. Personal reasons?
Bella Swan: (Pointing out the first stage of mitosis) ?Um. Prophase.?
Edward Cullen: (Reaching for the microscope) ?Do you mind if I? Uh? Look? (Checking the microscope) Prophase...?
Bella Swan: ?Like I said.?
You would be disgusted to know that this was one of the key events of the book. Eugh.

Anyway, thanks for the read, I hope to see some more in the future.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
However, as a review, I think that it was somewhat lacking. I believe you should structure it bit better, give a few less excerpts (nonetheless - I enjoyed them) and focus on the good points (at least try to find one - as hard as it is) to make it a bit more professional. I sort of half-agreed, half-disagreed with your view of Australia, you see.
I also felt this review was one of my weaker pieces and a little unbalanced. To cut Twilight some slack, I overlooked a few other major problems with the film. You see, the vampires also have powers beyond super-speed and super-strength. For instance, Edward has the ability to read minds for some reason, and Alice (a minor vampire character) can allegedly see the future. I felt that I was complimenting the film by ignoring this terrible aspect of it.

Though I do feel that this review is definitely not as streamlined as it could have been.

I plan to watch and review either The Day the Earth Stood Still, Doubt, or Gran Torino next.

a7r0p05

Dec 10, 2008
Everyone here is wrong, Twilight is not the worst movie adaptation of a book...
...Eragon is.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Maet said:
Lord Krunk said:
I also felt my review was one of my weaker pieces and a little unbalanced. To cut Twilight some slack, I overlooked a few other major problems with the film. You see, the vampires also have powers beyond super-speed and super-strength. For instance, Edward has the ability to read minds for some reason, and Alice (a minor vampire character) can allegedly see the future. I felt my I was complimenting the film by ignoring this terrible aspect of it.

I do feel that this review is definitely not as streamlined as it could have been.
Nonetheless, I loved it.

Oh, and I don't know if the movie explains this, but the book states that there are many different breeds of Vampire, with different personalities, powers and whatnot. It explains that Edward is an Italian 'nice' vampire and that the rest of the Cullens are from different breeds as well.

Do you know why I know this? Because I'm writing a review of the book. It's mostly negative, but there were some bits that I enjoyed, mostly.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Nonetheless, I loved it.

Oh, and I don't know if the movie explains this, but the book states that there are many different breeds of Vampire, with different personalities, powers and whatnot. It explains that Edward is an Italian 'nice' vampire and that the rest of the Cullens are from different breeds as well.

Do you know why I know this? Because I'm writing a review of the book. It's mostly negative, but there were some bits that I enjoyed, mostly.
The movie makes a passing reference to this, but doesn't dwell on it for too long. Essentially, all the movie says is that the Cullens are 'nice vampires' because of their animal blood and vegetarian diet. There are a few other bits, but that's the main idea.

I'm tempted to go through my sister's copy of the book to see if that lines I quoted from the movie are really quoted verbatim from the book.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Just wondering here but how flowerly is the writing in this story? I've heard a ton of insults about it but have never seen any examples of it.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Oh, and this quote:
Maet said:
Edward Cullen: ?Hello. I?m sorry I didn?t get a chance to introduce myself last week. I?m Edward Cullen. You?re Bella??
Edward Cullen: ?Um? Yeah. I was out of town for a couple of days. Personal reasons?
Edward Cullen: (Reaching for the microscope) ?Do you mind if I? Uh? Look? (Checking the microscope) Prophase...?
You would be disgusted to know that this was one of the key events of the book. Eugh.
You've got to be joking, if a single little minute of this were a key point, than that proves the whole story is pointless.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
Lord Krunk said:
Oh, and this quote:
Maet said:
You've got to be joking, if a single little minute of this were a key point, than that proves the whole story is pointless.
In particular, it's where they meet.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
Lord Krunk said:
Oh, and this quote:
Maet said:
From what I've read, it is quite an important scene.

Medic Heavy

Jul 4, 2008
Girl in my class yelling to friend: Hey want to go see twilight with us! Were going to go see it a second time it?s so awesome!

I turn to tell friend: Yeah cam (friend?s name) you love choppy special effects and half ass acting! Go see it, because we all know that you should trust people?s tastes in movies when there three top ten movies are the three high school musical films.

BoVinE

Sep 25, 2008
a7r0p05 said:
Everyone here is wrong, Twilight is not the worst movie adaptation of a book...
...Eragon is.
Come on, I'd almost forgotten about that.

Walrus42

Apr 18, 2008
i read most of the first book because my sister said it was great. It was one of the worst books I've ever read, but my sister is seeing the movie for the third time... I don't understand why girls are so attracted to this series.

Bob Saget

Jul 24, 2008
Wow guys, thanks for saving my life there. One of my friends was going to force me to go watch it, and all her friends went to go see it about two or three times too. Well, all I have to is suddenly come down with with a case of Salmonella or Ebola next week and I'll be in the clear.