Twilight of the She-Geeks

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Twilight of the She-Geeks

The sad truth about Twilight's popularity is that it didn't have to happen.

Read Full Article

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Interesting read. I've always made a point of disparaging the Twilight franchise purely for the reasons illustrated. I have no issues with women trying to illustrate their fantasies, even if for no other reason than to fill the gaps in a primarily male market. I just have a problem when it's done this poorly.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
I consider th notion of fantasizing about a dream guy or girl pathetic and laughable, thats why I don't like twilight's success. Great article I give it a thumbs up :D

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Wow I never really looked at it that way to be honest. I really appreciate the introduction of some perspective on this website. After all any time someone mentions Twilight on this website it usually becomes a flame war... It's interesting to think about it from the oppressed she-geek view. Although I still find it strange that so many High school and college girls are drooling over this series that don't seem like you're typical she-geek. Is it the same principle as romance novels, and that Meyer just figure out how to combine two fan bases into one? Well good article and review all the same it's well done. but is the bleeping necessary?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
So what you're trying to say, Bob, is that Jacob = Slave-Leia?

I see it. I agree with it. Twilight is still one of my guilty pleasures.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Well that was extremely insightful. I expect interesting stuff from the escapist but Movie Bob seems to be cornering the market on shifting my world view. I especially like the physics reference "Nature hates a vacuum" to explain the success of twilight. That always baffled me, the success not the fluid dynamics concept.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
SEE! THIS IS WHERE DEAD OR ALIVE BEACH VOLLEYBALL HAS LED US! REPENT NOW AND WE MAY YET HALT THE TIDE OF TWILIGHT MOVIES!

Anywho, on a less-end-of-the-world tone, it certainly does explain Twilight alot better than any other theory.

Gxas said:

Oh sweet jesus, no. I don't want to see a crap load of nearly nude guys chained to a slug-woman.

Look, female half of the population, we're collectively sorry - we had no idea of the horrors you could unleash on us. Just put the Twilight down and set it on fire and we'll have the makers of the Dead or Alive series and the Ninja Gaiden people put to the torch.

Anywho, is it worth pointing out I've always thought that body armour of female characters looked increasingly silly? Though I also had to think in gears of war "Why on Earth aren't they wearing helmets?" - the explanation of 'easier to see snipers' isn't convincing to me.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Doug said:
Gxas said:

Oh sweet jesus, no. I don't want to see a crap load of nearly nude guys chained to a slut-woman.
What has been pointed out cannot be un-remembered... Something to that effect...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Feb 13, 2008
As I said in one of the other threads, there is SO much better female-viewed male objectification pr0n. Laurrell K Hamilton made a career off the back (pun intended) of Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry.

Many of the historical romances have deep raging within those bustling corsets whether straight or lesbian (Tipping the Velvet?), and novels that Twilight etc. are based on (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice) have deeply shallow male characters that are feckless idiots until they get caught by the right woman.

That's the point about Twilight, there's so much BETTER shallow fluff around. A friend of mine recommends Georgette Heyer quite highly.

Edit: While Sean Connery in Zardoz doesn't count, surely Gil Gerard in Buck Rogers in the 25th Century does? While the males were ogling Erin Grey, I seem to remember his suits being awfully tight...and that's without mentioning Burt Ward in the original Batman...

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
I agree. Bad art is just bad art. I don't like it when it's aimed at men like me, and no more so when its the other way around.

But like you said. It's selling tainted water to people dying of thirst in the desert.

Although I have seen worse movies.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
The root of all evil beat me to it, but my wife swore Laurel K Hamilton as far as her (her words) mental masturbation author, even though for a while there she thought even Anita went off the deep end.

Most of the Paranomral Romance stuff has become kind of rote, but as long as there are buyers for authors who sell sexy Vampires and Werewolves fighting over a woman it will keep coming. Meyer's claim to fame is not so much that she tapped into the genre, but rather that she made a "teen" series that fed off the Genre that started to gain momentum right around the time Harry Potter was wrapping up. She managed to hitch onto the gravy train of a generation of teens that had just learned reading was fun.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I don't like it because its a terrible series obviously made for girls and no one else, I don't need movies do help.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
You know...you've got a point.

I mean, I think Twilight is ridiculous and I would never read it...but I hadn't thought about that. It's the objectification of men, which men have been doing to women for ages. It's generally a social construct that men objectify women; and is, therefore, acceptable, and that women do not objectify men, so it is hardly even recognized. Twilight is a perfect example. All I had thought about was that Bella was useless and pathetic and her 'relationship' was supremely unrealistic....I hadn't even recognized the objectification.

That's interesting. Thank you for pointing that out.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That was quite a mirror you were holding there.

I do kinda like how Twilight is taking the wind out of Harry Potter's sails.
Al of a sudden the tween girls don't give a sh*t about Harry anymore.

Always try to make the best out of a bad situation.

Feb 13, 2008
One little problem with your juxtaposition Bob. If Edward and Jacob are the shallow beef(veggie?)cakes, why is Bella still wetter than a puddle and only half as deep?

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
Well I think everyone realized at some point that Twilight was a clever way of selling sex to teenage girls without actually directly referring to it but nice article about how it objectify men.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Well even though I've said that Twilight is utter shite in real life (And probaley on here as well.) I've never seen it or New Moon. Simply because it's a film/s I won't like from a single glance from the trailer. It's only a film, there's others I like instead.