Twilight Star Robert Pattinson Confirms He Won't be Indy in Indiana Jones Reboot

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Twilight Star Robert Pattinson Confirms He Won't be Indy in Indiana Jones Reboot

Contrary to rumors circulating, Robert Pattinson has confirmed he won't be the protagonist in the new Indiana Jones reboot.

Earlier this year, recent interview with MTV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133248-Rumor-Indiana-Jones-5-Might-Recast-Indy-Ditch-Harrison-Ford].

When asked about the rumor, Pattinson answered with an emphatic "No," and added, "I didn't even know they were rebooting it." This isn't the first time Pattinson's name has been attached to a big-name film. Back when Daredevil film license was still at Fox, Pattinson was one of the rumored forerunners to play the blind vigilante.

"People just [make rumors up] so I get bad press afterwards," Pattinson adds. "'Hey, how about you play Jesus!' 'No, he should just die!' Great, thanks man," he finishes.

While you might not see Pattinson swing the whip soon, you can catch him in the Australian crime drama, The Rover, which will see an expanded film release in the US this June.

Are you glad that Pattinson won't be Indy? If so, whom would you rather replace Ford as the infamous doctor if and when a reboot happens?

Source: MTV [http://www.mtv.com/news/1845337/robert-pattinson-indiana-jones-rumors/]

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
You know what? I'd actually like to see him take the role. I mean, yeah, Twilight sucked, of course it did, but that doesn't mean the actors from it can't do any good given the right material and direction. And the guy needs to catch a break.

crispskittlez

Jan 14, 2010
RealRT said:
You know what? I'd actually like to see him take the role. I mean, yeah, Twilight sucked, of course it did, but that doesn't mean the actors from it can't do any good given the right material and direction. And the guy needs to catch a break.
He was definitely alright in The Goblet of Fire.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RealRT said:
Isn't he outspoken about his own hatred for the role? Seems to me like it was just a paycheck to him, which I can fully understand.

But to be honest, there are a lot of actors out there who could pull it off, and if Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness showed us anything, it's that even great casting can still lead to the movies failing critically, so I'd personally rather see a well written, well directed but mediocre acted movie then a well acted but poorly written and directed one.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
He's very conscious about the geek community hatred of him. He's going to need to play a few key roles to shake off the reputation.

Although, the elephant in the room that I've never seen until lately was that there's an Indiana Jones reboot with all kinds of "Why?" and "Wait WHAT?!".

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Alex Co said:
If so, whom would you rather replace Ford as the infamous doctor if and when a reboot happens?
How about they let the series end, and start trying to come up with new concepts, ideas and characters?

...oh, right, I'm talking about Hollywood. They don't do that anymore.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
crispskittlez said:
RealRT said:
He was definitely alright in The Goblet of Fire.
I liked him in the Goblet of Fire <_<.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zontar said:
RealRT said:
Isn't he outspoken about his own hatred for the role? Seems to me like it was just a paycheck to him, which I can fully understand.

But to be honest, there are a lot of actors out there who could pull it off, and if Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness showed us anything, it's that even great casting can still lead to the movies failing critically, so I'd personally rather see a well written, well directed but mediocre acted movie then a well acted but poorly written and directed one.
That he is, but a lot of people still hate him for no good reason.
Can you really do Indiana Jones without Indy's charisma?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really dont mind him, he does seem to be aware that Twilight was indeed shit and is up for better roles.

With that said I dont think he would be a good Indy, in a matter of fact I dont see anyone out there being a good Indy. Indiana Jones was basicly Han Solo, the archaeologist, and I dont see anyone else being Han Solo either.

Jul 31, 2013
Wait, Indiana Jones is getting a reboot?

That's it Hollywood, you've gone too far into the abyss, I'm digging out my torch and pitchfork.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RealRT said:
Can you really do Indiana Jones without Indy's charisma?
Well, they did that in Crystal Skull, so it can be done. Probably not very well, but it can be done.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
It wish people were more able to separate an actor from his/her character, especially when they hate the character.

It's not Pattinsons fault Twilight required him to act like a block of stone, literally.
Well okay he signed on for the role. But he shouldn't be hated for it, the film would have happened anyway.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
So Robert Pattison and approximately 7 billion other people aren't going to be the next Indiana Jones. Can we limit casting rumor news to things that are supposedly happening?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I think he's a good actor, but i can't see him in a role as an Indiana Jones type character. He seems more suited for stuff like Cosmopolis.

Aug 1, 2010
It's really too bad he had to get all the negativity of Twilight. In every interview I've seen he's been a really nice guy who gets the nonsensical popularity of the series.
He's also not a terrible actor, it's just that no actor on the planet could make those lines work OR have chemistry with Christin Stewart.

As for this, I suppose I'm glad, though I could actually see it. He reminds me of River Phoenix in a weird way.

The more important of this is that HOLY FUCK THERE'S GOING TO BE AN INDIANA JONES REBOOT. why. why is this happening. for the love of god why.

On an unrelated note I now know that Indy's middle name is Walton. I don't know how to feel about this.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If they just have to make an Indy reboot, I'd prefer they went with someone a little more seasoned. Nothing against Pattinson. I don't really know much about him other than a bunch of people I don't know seem to hate a film series I've never been inclined to watch. But everyone starts somewhere.

Just not sure why they want to reboot Indiana Jones at all. It's kinda like the Nightmare On Elm Street reboot from a few years back. The actor was great, but no one else can really BE Freddy Krueger. It's got too much of Robert Englund attached to the very core of the character. Anyone other than Englund was going to feel like expensive cosplay and that's exactly what happened through no fault of his. I kinda feel like Indiana Jones could suffer from the same issues. Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones are synonyms at this point.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
He's very conscious about the geek community hatred of him. He's going to need to play a few key roles to shake off the reputation.
It's been done before. I remember back in high school, there were few things that would have brought me more joy than to punch Leonardo DiCaprio right in his pretty boy face. I was so sick of hearing about him, and any movie that had him in it was basically an instant "No" because it was all-but guaranteed to be some crappy romance movie for the women to swoon over. I guess you could say that he was my generation's Bieber, but that would be a blatant insult since I'm sure that at no point in his personal life was Leo even half the dickhead that Bieber has been.

*Ahem* But anyway, fast forward to today, and now it's just the opposite. I freaking love Leo, and will consider seeing a movie simply by him being on the cast list. They aren't all great, but he's just such an awesome actor that it's worth seeing the movie anyway. I think Robert could easily have that kind of track record. He seems like an okay guy, just needs to be in a few movies that aren't horrible swoonbait rubbish.

Edit: Hm... "swoonbait". I like it. I'm gonna have to start using that term more often as way of describing cheesy romance flicks with the heartthrob du jour in the lead role.