Twin Peaks Is a Murder Mystery Done Right

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Twin Peaks Is a Murder Mystery Done Right

Join us as we rewatch our favorite surreal TV murder mystery: Twin Peaks.

Read Full Article

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It could also be scary as all mighty hell. The pilot itself ends in a way that's hair raising.

Spushkin

Nov 2, 2011
And after you watch the 2 seasons and the film, play Deadly Premonition and die laughing.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I watched it 25 years ago when it was first broadcast and again earlier this year. Watching it again was odd primarily because I was watching it with Norwegian subtitles and they even subtitled the Norwegians speaking. The other reason it was strange was because I identified with different parts of the cast. When I first watched the high school members of the cast were my main concentration but on the 20 odd years later it was the older love stories that I found more engaging. I also didn't remember Dale Cooper being as insane and desperate with his tape recordings to Diane.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I did have another go at watching it recently (as a huge fan when it first came out) but I was very frustrated by the music, which was simply unbearable. Scenes of genuine emotion were totally spoiled by the dreadful 'Laura's theme' which turned them to cheese in moments.

I might have another go, but it was such a shame, as I really wanted my family to enjoy it with me and they couldn't stand it long enough to really give it a chance.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Flatfrog said:
I did have another go at watching it recently (as a huge fan when it first came out) but I was very frustrated by the music, which was simply unbearable. Scenes of genuine emotion were totally spoiled by the dreadful 'Laura's theme' which turned them to cheese in moments.

I might have another go, but it was such a shame, as I really wanted my family to enjoy it with me and they couldn't stand it long enough to really give it a chance.
I enjoyed the music, at first, but they should have written at least as many musical themes as they had characters. There are a few moments later on in the series that seem to nod at how annoying the redundancy is. Ben Horn turns off a record playing one theme in disgust (which his daughter, Audrey was listening to at top volume). James and Donna are sitting in a car (maybe season 2?) and James changes the radio station which switches off the theme and turns to rock. He remarks about needing to hear something else.

Maybe the repetitive music is part of the mystery and uniqueness of Twin Peaks? Maybe the creators were suggesting in those moments that when we, the audience, heard the show's music that the characters were listening to it as well?

There is that band which played a version of the main theme in the pilot (that the girl singer had lyrics for)...Maybe the music is brainwashing the townsfolk as the sirens captivated the doomed sailors that approached them? Maybe that's why every man has moments where they act like they could kill someone, and many people are sleeping around? Is the repetitive music partly to blame for the madness of Twin Peaks? (Such a thought makes it all the more tolerable).